PDA

View Full Version : Growing carrots !

PeterSibley
01-13-2008, 02:53 AM
OK ,OK ,I'm almost embarrassed to post this , but for my fellow vegetable gardeners I'd like to share a method of starting carrots .They are easy to grow ...once they are up and established , it's the first month or so that is a trial .Carrots germinate slowly and weeds germinate fast . It creates a problem !

OK ...the solution .I've taken to removing the soil from a tiny trench ,say 3" wide and 2" deep ,placing it in a large baking dish and cooking it in the oven for an hour .( I have an understanding wife and a large oven :) ).The baking kills all the weed seed .

I replace the soil and plant carrot seed , usually fairly thickly (....they are easy to thin later .) I then cover the bad with shade cloth until the seedlings emerge , usually in a week to 10 days .

They then take over and just grow :).With no weed competition they are no more trouble to grow than beans .

For the interest ...20 foot of row ....5 rows 4' long in a raised bed ( around 16 square feet ) gives at least 30 kg / 60 pounds of carrots ....a lot more than I can eat anyway !

PeterSibley
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Bump ...come on , there has to be at least one gardener here !

Greg P H
01-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm busy enjoying the mental picture of baking pans full of dirt in the oven.:D

The first time you did this, did you ask first?:cool:

katey
01-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Something else you might want to try... I've had good luck pre-soaking my carrot seed for a couple of days before planting. That way it's just ready to sprout when you put it in the ground.

Bob Adams
01-13-2008, 05:26 PM
You are not alone, my Grandfather used the baked soil method also!

Backfin
01-13-2008, 05:33 PM
The red clay soil here is tough on carrots. I grow my carrots in a bed to which I add a lot of sand; helps them grow straight. I remember somebody here cooking their soil on the grill (barbie, or barby or barbi or barbee?)

PeterSibley
01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm busy enjoying the mental picture of baking pans full of dirt in the oven.:D

The first time you did this, did you ask first?:cool:

yep ...I asked :D.it doesn't make a mess though .It's pretty neat ....it just helps to have a really big baking tray .

Spin_Drift
01-13-2008, 05:41 PM
...I've taken to removing the soil from a tiny trench ,say 3" wide and 2" deep ,placing it in a large baking dish and cooking it in the oven for an hour.( I have an understanding wife and a large oven :) ).The baking kills all the weed seed .

I replace the soil and plant carrot seed , usually fairly thickly (....they are easy to thin later .) I then cover the bad with shade cloth until the seedlings emerge , usually in a week to 10 days .

They then take over and just grow :).With no weed competition they are no more trouble to grow than beans .

For the interest ...20 foot of row ....5 rows 4' long in a raised bed ( around 16 square feet ) gives at least 30 kg / 60 pounds of carrots ....a lot more than I can eat anyway !

Thanks, that's good info. I'll have to try it next summer... :)

PeterSibley
01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
The red clay soil here is tough on carrots. I grow my carrots in a bed to which I add a lot of sand; helps them grow straight. I remember somebody here cooking their soil on the grill (barbie, or barby or barbi or barbee?)

My garden soil is a heavy clay but years ,about (25 ) of compost and mulch have helped lighten things .On one bed I added 4 inches of very light sandy loam from beside a local river ,then deeply worked it in .That solved all problems .

These days though I'm using a pretty strict rotation to keep down soil born diseases ,so every bed gets carrots at some stage .

The barbeeQ would work ,basically anything that heats the soil enough to kill wed seeds .The steam generated is what probably does the job .

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks, that's one that I will try.

Mrleft8
01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Certainly add lots of sand to the bed..... BUT..... If you mix raddish seeds in with the carrot seeds, the raddishes germinate faster, breaking open the soil, making it easier for the carrots to get started. They also mature a lot faster, so as you pick the raddishes, you are providing more growing space for the carrots. Plant marigolds all around your carrots, as these will discourage root maggots....(Disgusting little critters!)

Tylerdurden
01-13-2008, 08:16 PM
I use the microwave. It has the added benefit of being able to find the carrots in the dark and it really messes up the rabbits.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/d/dd/Killer_rabbit.JPG

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-14-2008, 04:02 AM
A dozen posts and no drainpipes!
carrotmuseum (http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/qna.html#a22)

PeterSibley
01-14-2008, 05:34 AM
Marvellous PI ..what a cultured bunch you Poms are ! :D