PDA

View Full Version : preferred method of bolting stern bearing housing

eastern270
01-11-2008, 09:05 AM
curious to know what your preferances are for bolting the stern bearing housing onto the the keel and material made of. Do you prefer a hanger bolt or lag bolt. Stainless steel or ????.

michigangeorge
01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Eastern, I don't pretend to have a lot of expierence with this but I have removed a few stern bearings on small craft (under 30') and they were all attached with lag bolts. I would use bronze. This is not a piece which should require frequent removal so the extra expense of a hanger bolt should not be necessary. My 2 cents :-)

Nordicthug
01-11-2008, 07:02 PM
It totally depends on the size of the bearing and stern post. Anything on a stern post sided up to 3", a #14 or #16 screw would do fine. Larger than that, I'd likely go with hangar bolts. A bronze hangar bolt is easily made from a lag up to about 5/8" dia. After that it's best done on a lathe using some pretty good bronze round bar.

I've made 1" X 12" bronze hangars on my little 7x12 Minilathe, but it took a while to cut the wood threads. 4 TPI ACME, easy to do but time consuming on my teensy lathe.

I would avoid stainless steel as every stainless stern bearing hangar I've ever pulled looked like swiss cheese. I've learned to distrust the stuff.

To the best of my knowlege there's no set rule on how big or long the stern bearing fasteners should be or how many of 'em, that being up to the NA who designed the boat and all.

Be God-Awful careful how well you center the holes and and to keep 'em dead square to the surface, or you will regret it.

Good luck,

Gerry