PDA

View Full Version : Help! Not confident of glue joints

Caleb Chia
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I have been given a half finished kit plywood skiff, and some of the glue seepouts are sticky even after sitting for two years in a garadge! The glue is some kind of epiglue epoxy stuff. Would the stickyness be caused by incorrect mixing, or maybe just the exposure to air thing?
I was going to remove all the screws and test all the joints, but the people who started the project had stripped lots of the heads!:mad:
If the joints did fail, what sort of faliure could I expect? Will the boat suddenly collapse into splinters in the middle of the sea?

Pagie
01-08-2008, 09:52 PM
It might. What sort of boat and why was it given away?

Pierce Nichols
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I have been given a half finished kit plywood skiff, and some of the glue seepouts are sticky even after sitting for two years in a garadge! The glue is some kind of epiglue epoxy stuff. Would the stickyness be caused by incorrect mixing, or maybe just the exposure to air thing?

AIUI, improper mixing is the usual cause of epoxy not curing... and I can't imagine anything else that would cause it to not cure after two years.

I was going to remove all the screws and test all the joints, but the people who started the project had stripped lots of the heads!:mad:

There's a tool called an Easy-Out for exactly that problem. You drill a small pilot hole in the head of each stripped screw, and then drive the Easy-Out into the pilot hole. It's got a left-handed spiral on it which grips the sides of the hole and unscrews the screw as you drive it. They're pretty cheap and IME, most decent hardware stores carry them. They're one of those tools that usually doesn't see much use... but when you need it, it will turn hours of cursing into a few minutes of easy work.

Caleb Chia
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Its a Kitboat 420, 4.2m long flat bottomed doryish boat, screw and glue chines, not much rocker so it should plane easily but pound like crazy.
They gave it away because they had no time to finish it. Short attention span.

A waste of money to buy, but since I got it free it will be fun to thrash. I just dont want to lose the outboard when it sinks

Thorne
01-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd sure be tempted to pull the fasteners and test at least one of the joints, maybe several. If you intend to drive it hard with an outboard, you may want to take apart, reglue and refasten any questionable joints, sorry to say.