PDA

View Full Version : cold mold rot

harveys
11-30-2001, 03:34 PM
I've got this neat John Illingworth sloop, built in France in 1963, strip planked covered by two diagonal layers of cold molded cedar, glued with resorcinol. Thats how they did it then. The boat has sailed halfway round the world and still floats so they must have done something right. I'm getting some delamination in the cold molding (based on sounding it with a hammer)with a couple of spots of rot, soft enough to poke at with fingernails. The moisture meter shows dampness around these areas. The yard will be attacking this this winter. I'd appreciate thoughts on (1) just injecting epoxy or (2) ripping out everything and laminating new wood or (3) any other ideas. Thanks.

Alan D. Hyde
11-30-2001, 04:20 PM
If it's necessary in order to completely remove the rot, there's nothing wrong with a proper dutchman.

Alan

Mirelle
11-30-2001, 04:40 PM
I am surprised at the construction; Souters who were the best known English yard building Illingworth, etc boats by cold moulding using resorcinol glue generally used multiple layers of veneer over a close battened mould; very strong but of course expensive. I have not myself seen a boat of this era which has veneers over strip planks.

The symptoms you describe are pretty common in this type and age of boat.

The "classical" spots for trouble are around the rail / deck edge and in way of the chain plates; in both cases slight movement allows rain water to enter and it rapidly works its way down the tiny voids where the veneers lie next to each other.

The "approved technique" in Britain is to cut back all the rotted veneer and laminate new veneer in place, staying with resorcinol glue. It is not really as alarming as it sounds, although if there is a very big area you may need to arrange a temporary former.

Good luck; she sounds a nice boat

harveys
11-30-2001, 05:03 PM
Thanks. The boat is interesting to check out since on the inside of the hull you see the longitudinal strip planking and on the exterior you can spot the seams on some of the diagonal cold molding. It was built by Construction Mechanique de Normandie, which built these boats (Maica class) in batches of up to 10 boats at a time. You think we should reglue with resorcinol rather than epoxy? How come?