PDA

View Full Version : Build A Boat With The Kids This winter

JohnPlatou
10-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Here's a link to pictures of the 8' MinMost my 5 year old Grand-daughter and I built last spring. http://www.nwsca.com/minimost/john_pics2
You are never to old or young to enjoy boat building.

[ 10-11-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: JohnPlatou ]

skuthorp
10-11-2005, 09:57 PM
The bloke next door and i plan to build on with his 9 year old this summer. A Cayique with a latteen sail and a glass panel in the bottom. Had the plans for years. Should be a lot of fun :D

Thorne
10-12-2005, 08:52 AM
John -

Looks like great fun and a wonderful project.

Steve Lansdowne
10-12-2005, 04:46 PM
What great memories you've made for her. Norm would be proud!!!

landlocked sailor
10-12-2005, 08:22 PM
TERRIFIC project John; good luck and kudos to you. Rick

Ralphw
10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
thats Awesome
:D

... hey John been reading about your adventures in spucing up your Cruisers Inc. Do you have any pics of that?

JohnPlatou
10-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Ralph

I'm afraid it was alittle more than sprucing up.

Boat looked great when purchased but leaked so bad a 400 gph bilge pump ran 80% of time.

I disassembled the most of the hull including all lakestrakes except the top on each side, the transom was disassembled completly all 16 pieces, the stem was removed and the inner keel was replaced. I reassembled all the old wood except the old inner keel and one piece on the lower transom. The first 8 ribs on each side were cut to remove rot and spliced. The remaining ribs were cut back to remove rot and new inner keel was made wider to make up for the removed rib ends. The complete hull was reassembled with each old or new member trated with CPES and varnished before assembly. I used sicon brass new screws and 3M 5200 for caulk.

Better than 1 1/2 years 40 hours and 4500 miles of trailering no leaks, completly dry.

Probably the best rough water boat in my fleet except for my HM 38.
They are at http://www.aerialimaging.net/john

Thats most of my pictures except for 5 year old Emma's Minimost. I have more, I can email if you tell me what area is of interest to you. Did you see it at the Thompson Dockside site?

My next project is restration of a 1960 G3 fiberglass ski boat. Grand-daughter Emma says she will help. I gave her the choice of helping build Henery Clark's 12' Perky, which I first built as a 13 year old in 1964/65 or the restoration of the G3, she wanted the G3 so thats the next one.

Are you redoing a Cruisers Inc. lapstrake?

Call me if you want.

John Platou
832 473 8928
johnplatou@dialaccess.com

[ 10-27-2005, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: JohnPlatou ]

Ralphw
10-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Man John, I'm very impressed....

I was doing a searching the web for Grady White info and with the Grady/Cruisers Inc. connection. (some of them are identicle) I did a search on Cruisers Inc and ran across some of your old posts on here. but no pictures.

I'm restoring a 1961 Grady white 17.5 footer

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,110,00.html

How is that Evinrude starflight treating you?
I have the same motor and haven't dove into that yet. I would like to think I have about 1 month to go on the boat then will start the motor.

I may have some questions for you if thats alright when the time comes?

I guess you solved the problem of how to strip and refinish the inside of the lapstrakes...lol

had it since June. its my second grady

JohnPlatou
10-28-2005, 08:09 PM
The 1960 Evinrude 75 is great, although my 1960 40 Evinrude Lark II is smother and uses about 25% less glass at cruise and more than that at idle speeds.

I was a certified Evinrude mechanic back when these engines were the normal, so for me its not a problem. I have all the special tools and Evinrude manuals.

Looks like you have a great project going. You should soon find out you are restoring a wonderful old boat.

Keep me posted
John

JimD
10-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Sweet :cool: