PDA

View Full Version : deck sealer

JakeScott
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Is there a product some one could recommend for putting over decks to stabilize the wood and keep them from weathering too much. I'm not sure what the wood is, it was reported to apitong from the previous owner. It looks good when sanded but turns gray-black pretty when left in the weather. It also seems prone to checking. Yes maybe not the best choice for decks but it's what I got. Any thoughts??

Jake

Lew Barrett
01-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Try some SeaFin, from Daly's. Teak oil that is widely used and pretty well respected.

www.dalyspaint.com

Also available from Fisheries Supply, off Northlake.

Just as a sealer, Ship n' Shore works well too. You might try test swaths of both products tpo see which takes best and which one is most to your taste. If the wood has been left to weather for any period of time, you should consider bleaching before sealing.

BETTY-B
01-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Try some SeaFin, from Daly's. Teak oil that is widely used and pretty well respected.

www.dalyspaint.com (http://www.dalyspaint.com)

I recently realized that I can get it cheaper on my account at Fisheries than I can at Daly's itself. Unfortunatly I realized it right after I bought another gallon at Daly's...

JakeScott
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM

www.dalyspaint.com

Just as a sealer, Ship n' Shore works well too. You might try test swaths of both products tpo see which takes best and which one is most to your taste. If the wood has been left to weather for any period of time, you should consider bleaching before sealing.

I think I have a quart of seafin in the shop, I'll put it on a piece of sanded old decking and leave it outside for awhile, something else for you to trip over on your way to Rita.

I'm going to sand the decks down in a month or so. I want to leave the new rubber alone for awhile, let it do it's thing.

Jake

Nordicthug
01-07-2008, 01:47 AM
If its apitong, you're in for a fight. The stuff likes to come apart in the sun. It splinters like crazy and pitch oozes out of it forever causing a sticky mess.

Good luck, yer gonna need it.

Gerry

Lew Barrett
01-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Jake,
I trip over myself! I might have some of both laying around if you want to try, but the stuff goes off in the can, so let's check it out first.