PDA

View Full Version : Whisky Plank!

essaunders
01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Well, no matter how small, it is still a whisky plank. So, to mark the milestone, I'll have my drink and share the picture with you:

http://lh5.google.com/NatErik/R4BMehqSl_I/AAAAAAAAAB4/E19o3v_vwak/s144/IMG_2946.JPG

(sorry for the picture alignment...)

Thorne
01-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Congrats and chug-a-lug!

FSS172
01-05-2008, 11:14 PM
There are no small whiskey planks. Regardless of the size of the boat, finishing the planking is a big deal and calls for celebration. Besides... you can make up for the size of the plank with the size of the whiskey! Congratulations!!

Jay Greer
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Well now there then! You have given me an excellent chance to salute your accomplishment with a noggin of Laphroig!
Slatie!
Jay

Lew Barrett
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Ron Pompero Anniversario!

Mrleft8
01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Excellent!.....And if you drink the right amount of whiskey, the picture seems to sort itself out just fine! ;)

Canoez
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Congratulations!

After-thought: If you decide to raise the sheer-line, creating a new 'Whiskey Plank', do you get a second glass?

Oscarvan
01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/oscarvanl/IMG_2946.jpg

Banjo
01-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Having a cold beer for you right now.

Saving the whiskey till later, it's too dammed hot for anything else but cold beer or water here. :)

Congrats to you on your achievement.

FSS172
01-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Well now there then! You have given me an excellent chance to salute your accomplishment with a noggin of Laphroig!
Slatie!
JayAye, now THERE's a dram truly worthy of such an occasion. The restoration of my Friendship's bowsprit was recently saluted with just such an one. And I believe I'll follow your example and toast essaunder's accomplishment this evening with another. Thanks for the inspiration!

Flying Orca
01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Being a few days shy of the whisky plank on my own project, I'm feeling sentimental toward whisky AND planks, so this NH boy is toasting your accomplishment as well. Congrats!

FSS172
01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Being a few days shy of the whisky plank on my own project, I'm feeling sentimental toward whisky AND planks, so this NH boy is toasting your accomplishment as well. Congrats!Be sure to let us know so we can all celebrate appropriately.... Although, at this rate of celebration I may NEVER get my own boat back in the water...
But on the other hand... I won't care! :p

abe
01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Congratulations. I will drink to your accomplishment tonight.

Can you tell us a bit about the boat?

Remember when we visited Tally Ho for the whiskey plank celebration in Deerfield?

abe

essaunders
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Let's see, the important details:

The Whisky (ok, Whiskey) is Bushmills: Although I did think about using Newfoundland Rum..

The "boat" is Jordan Wooden Boats "Baby Tender II". Launch date is Jan 29 (plus or minus 2 weeks, they tell me). Right now we've got red oak stem and stern post, cherry (I think) keelson, (african?) mohagony transom, and white pine planks. I wasted much of the last 7 or so months either working with no power tools or trying to get power tools to work. Nothing like ripping the keelson with a japanse pull saw... Now, with a working planer and bandsaw, things are going well. Riveting, then chines, then bottom, then stem, and then a few other things. Almost done... : )

I'll make sure to post pictures of the hull turn over. I still have to figure out the finish. I figure the mohogany will be bright, but I haven't decided on the rest. I'm trying to keep it neat enough to do the whole thing bright, if I go that way.

After the hull is done I've still got to do either (or both) Davits or beaching legs (rockers).

Banjo
01-07-2008, 09:23 PM
What if your boat doesn't have a sheer plank, would completing the coamings around the cockpit be classed as such an occasion to pull the stopper from a jug to celebrate the accomplishment?

Ken Hutchins
01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I'll drink to that.:D