PDA

View Full Version : Can you help ID my boat?

BuGGy
01-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum so if this isn't the best place to post this request please tell me a more appropriate location and I will be more than happy to move it.

I acquired an old, 1937, wooden boat and have been attempting to learn as much about it as I can before I get into restoring the wood. The family I got the boat from believes she was built in NJ by Worthy Boat Works and Designed by Lockwood Haggas. Someone else thought that she might be an old Elco, however that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have attached a profile shot of her, and have more pictures on my web site www.odysseyboatworks.net/Restorations.html (http://www.odysseyboatworks.net/Restorations.html)

Any help you could provide in helping identify her builder and designer will be greatly appreciated.

Andrei

file:///E:/ac/ACME/Web/Restoration-Images/IMG_5133.jpg

http://www.odysseyboatworks.net/Restoration-Images/IMG_5133.jpg

rbgarr
01-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Nice boat with nice shape and details. It looks like the designer may have been influenced by Luders powerboat designs. Bob Wallstrom at Post Office Box 828, Blue Hill, Me. 04614 has an extensive file on Luders work (he was an employee) and may be able to shed more light on such a vague notion.

Marine museums like Mystic Seaport have extensive collections of designers' work. You may try to find references to Haggas through them and ask their research dep't personnel (Ships Plans) for suggestions.

CundysHarbor
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Something about her says ACF (American Car and Foundry) to me. Luders is a strong possibility also, as per previous message.
Dave

nedL
01-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't discount the possibility of her being built in New Jersey (though the great majority of the boats built there during that time were lapstrake). What is her hull planked with? If white cedar, that would be another yes for possibly NJ. The forward cockpit was something that was common on NJ built boats of the period you are thinking. I'll take a look later today, I may have piictures of another NJ boat with a similarly styled trunk cabin & wheel house.
Nice lines, though she looks to be quite 'long in the tooth' I hope there is enough left to warrant rebuilding/restoring. If the hull is white cedar it may be pretty sound.

BuGGy
01-04-2008, 04:24 PM
The hull does appear to be white cedar, planks. Structurally she is in excellent condition for her age. Fortunately 99% of the rot which in some areas is 90% of the wood is cosmetics or easily to replace structure such as the rub rail and house sides. The family I got it from was always in the marine industry so they took really good care of her. They were not sure of the exact year but in the late 60's or early 70's they hauled her out of the water, repaired any rot and fiberglassed over the entire hull. Then in '86 when they moved her from NJ to FL they hauled her out, striped off the glass, made a few minor repairs and coated the hull with west system epoxy. They pulled her out of the water in '92 for fresh bottom paint and and found no damage or blistering at that time. Since then she has been sitting in the water. I was expecting major growth but found very little when I inspected below the water line before moving her.

I will see what I can find on ACF and Lunders. The people at Mystic Seaport have been great to work with. Unfortunately they don't have that much from Haggas.

nedL
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I checked that picture I was thinking of and there is not enough of a similarity to bother posting. I've never heard of the "Worthy boat works" in NJ (the boat builders of NJ are a real interest of mine too). Regarding the name "Lockwood", there is a yard in Morgan NJ named Lockwood marine that built some boats years ago, but I don't know anything of their early history.