PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice Blasting.....

john111
01-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi everyone. I am an engineering student. I read something called dry ice blasting and hazardous waste disposal while browsing net. Well I donít know why, but I am curious to know about it. I know about traditional labor intensive methods like scrapers, wire brushes, sand blasting and pressure washing. I know dry ice is basically solid form of CO2, but I have no clue about this dry ice blasting and industrial cleaning .
Can somebody throw some light on this or at least suggest some site where I can find some info on this.

Sam.

The Bigfella
01-03-2008, 07:01 AM
I've seen it somewhere - try google. The site I saw wasn't very good.

George Roberts
01-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Google has lots of information.

Just don't buy the pellets on line.

bloggs68
01-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Sam,

we have a bloke here locally that is doing it and he is going to be blasting a 50 year old clinker dinghy next week. I am going out to look to see how it goes as I have a clients boat in the shed at he moment with 40+ years of paint and varnish that need to come off for a total re-fit. The interior of these little boats is so labour intensive. The guy reckons and hour to strip the entire 12' boat inside and out!

I'll post how it goes,

here is some info I found on the net
http://www.coldjet.com.au/indust_app.html#wood

regards,

AD

PaulC
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
One of the advantages of dry ice blasting is from the disposal perspective. The waste you are getting rid of only contains the material that was removed and not the abrasive. This can save dollars since the overall volume to be disposed of is less. Its nice to have an abrasive that vaporizes!

Nordicthug
01-04-2008, 11:43 PM
I've worked on wood work boats that were soda and salt wet-blasted. The debris was rinsed, and the brine simply put into the sanitary sewer. The removed paint was sent to local landfills in the yard garbage. All with the approval of pertinant regulatory agencies. Part of the reason is the efficiency of the technique. Not much salt or soda used and not much volume of paint debris, considering the size of the job.

Soda blasting is especially nice as it leaves the bilges well degreased and amazingly sweet.

co2 should be even better.

Gerry

ZTucker
07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes, dry ice blasting is quite amazing. It basically involves dry ice being shot at high speeds via compressed air. As the dry ice hits the surface, it blasts the debris away and then sublimates (turns in to a gas). It's an amazing process and one of the best things is that the only cleanup is the debris. The dry ice turns in to CO2 gas and vanishes. You can read more about the blasting process at this dry ice (http://dryicenetwork.com) website.

Soundman67
07-31-2010, 11:54 AM
its the preferred method of getting rid of mold in attic spaces for a lot of contractors. put down and tarp and all that has to be cleaned up is the stuff you cleaned off of the wood. very much easier to get into tight corners than wire brush and if I remember right the cold helps to kill the remaining spores in the wood. I dont know if I would ever blast something wooden that was going to have to get refinished though. especially if it was a soft wood like cedar. it would be way too easy to gouge out the wood and ruin the boat.

NickW
07-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Gerry

I'd like to know more about soda and salt wet-blasting; how's it done, ratio of materials etc.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Nick

sdowney717
07-31-2010, 03:54 PM
yes co2 vanishes into the air you breathe. perhaps not enough to be a problem, but in a closed tight space?

ChaseKenyon
07-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Algore, (eyore?):confused:

has said that all forms of dry ice need to be banned and to h@ll with the food induustry.
:arg:arg

Heard it from the little bear.

Maximus
07-31-2010, 04:34 PM
My families' business does dry ice blasting. It's a useful method for cleaning, if you need some info contact Jeff and The Mobile Washer. www.mobilewasher.com