PDA

View Full Version : Cutwaters

Bob Perkins
12-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi All,

Production has finally picked up again. I'm just about to order a cutwater (I can't weld - love to learn someday - but not on this..)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cc10b3127cceb28ef733431000000036100AZt2TFi5bt2 Pg

I've found numerous references to http://cutwaters.com/ but I can't seem to find anyone who has actually got something made by him. I do not mind paying a professional to do good work - I mean after 1500 hours and many thousands of dollars - what's another few hundred bucks?

I'd like to hear from someone who say's - "Ohh great job on my cutwater!"

So - Anyone know? I could not find anything w/google either..

Thanks all

Nordicthug
12-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Ask him for at least three references. Contact the references. Ask them for more references. Once you've actually spoken to some you should have some idea of his competence.

Gerry

Gary E
12-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Look in the LOCAL PHONE BOOK under Sheetmetal
Any decent fab shop can make that.....

Audioten
12-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry to bother you thread Bob.

I have come to think of the cutwater on my Rascal.
Looks like the most common to use is 18 guage. witch is 1mm if I'm right?

I'm just going to use a friend of mine to weld it up. Sheetmetal frabricator by trade:)

And looking realy good Bob. Keep up the good work.

Bob Smalser
12-31-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm just about to order a cutwater (I can't weld - love to learn someday - but not on this..)

With as much skill as you've already demonstrated, cutting out the two cheeks of your cutwater and some spacer blocks to achieve the angle for welding may save a bunch of money. You can find a competent weldor most anywhere who'll work for a lot less than 15 bucks a linear inch.

pcford
01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
With as much skill as you've already demonstrated, cutting out the two cheeks of your cutwater and some spacer blocks to achieve the angle for welding may save a bunch of money. You can find a competent weldor most anywhere who'll work for a lot less than 15 bucks a linear inch.

Ordered one lately, Bob?

The cost he is quoting seems reasonable. I have them made by the Walrus, the local marine welder and machinist here in Seattle. Seems like I paid a bit less than the cost the guy at cutwaters.com is quoting. But I haven't had one made for quite a while.

The guy at cutwaters.com, Mike Schrieber, has been around speedboat hardware for maybe twenty years. I haven't done business with him, though I recall talking to him on the phone when I was looking for bits of hardware for a speedboat.

I haven't heard anything specific about him. But somebody that has been around that long can probably be trusted to be a straight shooter. The crooks and incompetents leave for greener pastures.

Oh, wanted to add: At the bottom end of cutwater, the sides of the cutwater will normally extend beyond the keel. I think that the protruding metal is not a good thing, so I have the welder put in a "gore" to remedy this possible problem.

It's not the "angle" of the two halves of the cutwater, it's the _angles_. They are typically more acute in the middle than at either end. I usually take off the angle every 6 inches.

Bob Perkins
01-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Oh, wanted to add: At the bottom end of cutwater, the sides of the cutwater will normally extend beyond the keel. I think that the protruding metal is not a good thing, so I have the welder put in a "gore" to remedy this possible problem.

Thanks all - Very good suggestions. PC - Can you describe a "gore"? I'm not sure what you mean.

I'll make sure everyone sees the final decision :)

pcford
01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks all - Very good suggestions. PC - Can you describe a "gore"? I'm not sure what you mean.

I'll make sure everyone sees the final decision :)

Not sure if that would be the right word....

Imagine the sides of the cutwater in the llower end. They will extend past the wood of the forefoot or keel.

Imagine that ground back so that it does not extend beyond the wood...and a piece of stainless welded in.

Try a mock-up with stiff cardboard in that area if you can't see what will happen.

Dale Genther
01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I bought a cutwater for our 1952 CC Sportsman 22 a couple of years ago. I was happy with the work he had done.

Thad
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
BOB, Mike Fraser, Fraser Custom Welding, the marine welder here in Marblehead is very good, assuming you can produce a plan or a pattern.

John Gardner
01-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Bob,

I do not know which cutwater you need but, I have an extra pre-wwII, Chris Craft Sportman new in stock. You can contact me at 906 478-3332, jack

mike hanyi
01-03-2008, 09:43 AM
make patterns from material the same thickness, then go to a fabricator and have them made, cut them out yourself(not very hard at that thickness) and fit them on the bow, make the screw holes and attach the sides, if youre good the 2 will touch perfectly. call the welder, ask if he has a portable TIG and invite him over,..no tig-get another welder that does.
He can fuse the 2 sides together in several points without causing very much heat, remover the thing in one piece and he can take it with him or finish fusing welding it there and testing the fit also, after it fits have him or a polisher finish it. there will be minor touchups to the boat from the heat which will not be seen anyway.

this way you know it will fit and welder spends as little time as possible on the project. professional welders are not always skilled in "decorative" fabrication. I am sure you will find one, I have done work like that myself and it is not so difficult.

you could make the aft ones on the transom the same way.