PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm moving to the islands next year

ishmael
12-31-2007, 08:57 AM
GD it, it just keeps snowing here. Every other day the systems move through and drop anywhere from six inches to a foot and a half--or more.

It's just part of the price we pay living in NE, but golly it's been kinda stiff this year, and it's not even January. Getting a reliable plow guy has been a bit of work and looking at the car this morning! Oy!

Catawumpous is funny. She's figerred it out that it's going to be snowing, and no place out there for cats. She used to ask out, I'd open the door say, "Go ahead." Now she just looks a bit wistfully out the window and goes to find a warm spot.

Snow, snow, snow!

S.V. Airlie
12-31-2007, 09:02 AM
RAIN, RAIN, RAIN!:D:D

D.O.Sag
12-31-2007, 09:27 AM
fart, fart, fart.

elf
12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Snow? What's that?

Ian and I were supposed to go sailing on Marmalade tomorrow.

Bah.

LeeG
12-31-2007, 09:42 AM
sunny and 44, it's just the price we pay

John of Phoenix
12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Sunny and 44? That's warmer than Phoenix.
It's 36 right now, looking for a high of 67 today and 70 tomorrow.

Hwyl
12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Are you going to take your brother's boat to the islands with you Jack?

I'm thinking about St Martin.

S.V. Airlie
12-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Ish! Does this mean it is time for a passport thread...?:rolleyes::D

Rum_Pirate
12-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Are you going to take your brother's boat to the islands with you Jack?

I'm thinking about St Martin. Are you sure you mean St. Martin or do you mean St.Maarten?

Hwyl
12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Are you sure you mean St. Martin or do you mean St.Maarten?

I'm a European national, so immigration into St Martin should be easy, then I'd get the bus to Sint Maarten.

Rum_Pirate
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm a European national, so immigration into St Martin should be easy, then I'd get the bus to Sint Maarten. You will probably arrive in St.Maarten and then go by bus to St Martin.

ishmael
12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
It reaches a point some New England winters when you forget the rest of the year, look around, and ask, "What the hell am I doing here?" That point has come a bit early this year.

Gareth, I haven't figured out the disposition of either Bill's boat or his camp. It is such a beautiful spot, and they ain't making anymore lake front northern Michigan, so I'd like to hold on to it, but I'm not clear I'm going to be able to. Maybe sell this place in Maine or rent it and spend half the year in Michigan and half of it someplace WARM! A liveaboard sailboat, not his dory. Money is always in issue, but I guess I can be a starving artist aboard a boat as easily as I can being snowed in in Bangor, Maine.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Noah
12-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Get out and go skiing or snowshoeing - You will enjoy winter again.

StevenBauer
12-31-2007, 02:06 PM
The Skiing is great in Maine right now. We were up at Sunday River Friday and Saturday. Best skiing in years. The whole family just dug out from last night's snow and there is more coming tomorrow. 'Many hands make light work' is only true so far, though. ;)

Steven

Gary E
12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
You can ski in FLA..... not near as cold, and much more fun...

http://www.usoc.org/2007_nightingale.jpg

If you dont want to return to the snow land better put the house up for sale NOW...
I'm guessing it will take a year to sell it...

Chris Coose
12-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Loving the snow.
8" due tomorrow on top of the 8 we got today.
Open winters suck.

It's the heat bill that's got me a bit squirrley.

Bill R
12-31-2007, 04:42 PM
I like the snow, but I am sick and d**n tired of constantly plowing and shoveling.

My truck, plow and back have taken a beating so far this year.

The up side is I get to have fun snowmobiling to my mountaintop transmitter sites on Company time. "Sorry, won't be in the office and can't be reached for a while- gotta to to Blackcat" :D (as Bill takes the "scenic route" up and down the mountain...)

Rum_Pirate
12-31-2007, 05:51 PM
I like the snow, but I am sick and d**n tired of constantly plowing and shoveling.

My truck, plow and back have taken a beating so far this year.

The up side is I get to have fun snowmobiling to my mountaintop transmitter sites on Company time. "Sorry, won't be in the office and can't be reached for a while- gotta to to Blackcat" :D (as Bill takes the "scenic route" up and down the mountain...)
I'm going to the beach tomorrow morning. :cool:

paladin
12-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Gary...dunno give me the crap about not so cold in Fla.
The year the space shuttle blew up........
I spent the day before Christmas eve in a quarry in northern Va. certifying a couple so they could go to the Caribbean diving...
we came out of the water and it was COLD!.....I got out of my wet suit, dried off, loaded everything and headed for the auto train because I was going to Fla. and do a little diving......
Christmas eve.....near Melbourne......cold outside....damn cold......but I'm going diving......put on warm long johns, dry suit...gear up......
into water........I sucked my air in less than half normal time it was so cold. Came out and kept hearing strange noises....as I peeled off my hood I figured out the noise.....it was so damned cold that the water was freezing on my suit as soon as I stood up in the air........

Gary E
12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Ok.... stay in the frizzen north,
Try the Keys... you'l change your mind

paladin
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
water's awful skinny in the keys.........:D

ishmael
12-31-2007, 07:01 PM
I spent many a happy hour camped in the Keys. Long Key State Park was a favorite, and I watched it change over, golly, thirty years. When I first went there it wasn't at all built up. There was a little hole on the north side that was a great snorkleing spot. I remember the little barracuda in there, their walled eyes and their quiet hovering. They ignored me, too big for a meal. The last time I was there the spot had been bought up and turned into a parking lot for a super dooper. Dammit!

The only thing I didn't like about tent camping in the Keys was the no-seums. I had an old-fashioned tent with regular mosquito netting, and spent more than one night awake and scratching. I finally settled on a good spray of Off on the netting before beddy bye.

Florida Bay is a great place for a sharpie. I remember renting a little catamaran, not a Hobie but that size, one day on Long Key and banging the hell out of its centerboards and rudders on those limestone reefs. Hard to read, you don't see them until you are on top of them.

Very fond memories. A great place to be in January but you can keep the summers.

Gary E
12-31-2007, 07:56 PM
That's the sperit Jack... toss a tent and a bedroll in the truck or whatever wheels ya got... Point it S on 95 and dont stop till it's warm...

Mrleft8
12-31-2007, 09:06 PM
That's the sperit Jack... toss a tent and a bedroll in the truck or whatever wheels ya got... Point it S on 95 and dont stop till it's warm...

Helpful hint.... DON't STOP in ST. Augustine!!!!!! ;)
And Jack.....If yer serious, I'll hook you up in Tobago.
BUT. I'll bet you a hundred dollars against a dozen doughnuts, that you don't move at all.

botebum
12-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Open winters suck.
Do you you have any idea how long it's been since I've heard that term? Now it's all open and I like it just fine.

Doug

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-01-2008, 12:34 AM
We have a saying on the North Coast.......

.....if ya don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it will change.

botebum
01-01-2008, 01:11 AM
We have a saying on the North Coast.......

.....if ya don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it will change.
Here too, but it don't include that white ****....I mean stuff(sorry Scot, I'll let you get that one for me since I'm such an angel otherwise, and I can't think of a better word for it)

Doug

botebum
01-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Oh gee wizz, it's automatic!:D

Doug

D.O.Sag
01-01-2008, 08:50 AM
so now its next year already. any progress?

paladin
01-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Well Jack.....The nice thing about staying in the Caribbean and the coastal areas down to Suthrin' Amerika is that you don't need the same type of deep water cruising boat that you would use getting to Tahita and beyond. A nice, light displacement plywood centerboard boat will get you just about anywhere you want to go, and if you move with the seasons you won't need a lot of heat/air conditioning or other things.....a small boat with shower facilities, a couple of burners and a dutch oven, a well insulated box will keep ice for a few weeks until you get to somewhere for stores again.