PDA

View Full Version : I do like the heat gun...I'm halfway done!!!

knots
12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I spent about half a day working on and off and I just finished stripping the whole Starboard side. Wow Easy!!!! The best thing about using a heat gun in the winters is, the heat itself. I was sweating. Today was a good day.

Norm

C. Ross
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I find myself trying to draw out long continuous peels. Kinda like peeling an apple or a potato in one go. (The challenge also makes me diligent about sharpening my scrapers.)

Congrats on your progress.

Cris

djn
12-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Norm, I tried the heat gun but found I could move just as fast with a GOOD carbide (sp) scraper. Although I did like the heat in the middle of winter. Good luck with your project....Cheers.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
I use a heat gun all the time... quick and effective

knots
12-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I just went out and did another three feet. With two 500 watt halogen lights and the guns heat too, I enjoyed the cold weather. Good music helps too. Oh, and sweeping up the mess took two minutes.

Norm

Wild Wassa
12-29-2007, 11:56 PM
I have to be very careful with the heat gun at this time of year.

Warren.

oakman
12-30-2007, 09:09 AM
I do love a heat gun too. I am fortunate to have aquired a couple of those infared paint strippers from silentpaintremover.com. (no connection here, no profit for me). They are pricy but man do they work. They warm the substrate as well as the paint and break the bond at the wood, I have removed about 10 layers of paint in one swipe, just bubbles right up.

Oak

knots
12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Today my forearm is a little sore...ouch!

Norm

djn
12-30-2007, 09:08 PM
The problem I have is the PO applied three coats of West System epoxy in 1974 then has been painting over it sense then. The only thing that even comes close to cutting through the paint and epoxy is a scraper. The heat guns and silent paint remover with only loosen the paint. Cheers.

Bob Triggs
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Be very careful about ventilation and wear a good respirator, organic and partical filter mask.

oakman
01-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I have been using the infared to remove the last vestigages of epoxy that was applied to a 1926 Alden one design that I have in the back yard. Cloth and most of the resin was removed with torch, and infared works great on the last layer before the wood. Kind of just brittles up and then scrapes off in an obnoxious cloud of glass particles, but it works. Could have been polyester resin I guess. Not sure.

Oak