PDA

View Full Version : Pursuing dreams

Texasgaloot
12-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey all!

I am a woodworker experienced in furniture and musical instrument making. I’ve got wooden boat experience as well; marina, the families’ boat, etc. I am also enrolled in a yacht design school. My question for today -- and especially the professional boat builders that frequent the forum -- is I’m seriously pursuing my dream of becoming a professional designer/builder. I won’t have my design “wings” for a couple more years, but I would like to jump into the building end of things, starting with smaller boats (I’ve just about completed the design work on a ply/lap Whitehall model) and initially for my personal use. Can you offer me any advice for starting out (I feel like this is a Nike moment – “just do it!!”) or gentle feedback other than a recommendation for psychiatric help?

robtcw
12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Start small.......between 7.5 feet and 20 feet.........every how many designs it takes to get a half dozen keepers..

P.L.Lenihan
12-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Go for it but just don't quit whatever job you already have which is paying the bills.
Or,just in case you are single,find a spouse capable of keeping both of you afloat while you venture into a very small niche market.

Good luck!

Peter

sv Lorelei
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I forget who said it

"If you want to make a little money in the boat building business, start out with a lot"