PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh browser advice

peb
12-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Okay, the new version of Safari crashes all the time (I have counted 5 times in the last 30 minutes). Typical Apple software, cool concepts, poor quality.

Anyway, what third party browser do most of ya'll macintosh guys use?

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Okay, the new version of Safari crashes all the time (I have counted 5 times in the last 30 minutes). Typical Apple software, cool concepts, poor quality.

Anyway, what third party browser do most of ya'll macintosh guys use?

Running Tiger or Panther ?
Firefox works on Mac. But I prefer Safari.

peb
12-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Running Tiger or Panther ?
Firefox works on Mac. But I prefer Safari.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Hmmm odd I'm running the exact same OS and I have to say Safari on my computer works better ( less crashes than both firefox and IE ) Both Firefox and IE are available for free on the mac. As a matter of fact IE should be pre installed. Just spotlight it.

FWIW I always wait about 6 mo. to a year before I upgrade OS's

Try clearing out your cash, then reset safari, (all under Safari heading up top just to the right of the apple ) then restart and see if that does not fix the problem. I just did a software upgrade and the OS bumped to what you are using I did notice some minor advances in Safari. The word search feature is better.

elf
12-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Safari never crashes for me. What happens when it crashes?

If you must, you can use FireFox but it's so PCish that I can't tolerate it much.

There are people in the world writing sites with Word and their code is miserably bloated, like everything Micro$loth, and sometimes crashes Safari. When I used PageMill it didn't crash Safari although it's pretty bloated too.

But in 3 years' experience with Safari very little crashes it.

Have you updated your applications and do you have enough RAM? Nowadays you need at least 1G of RAM to survive the web and recently I spent 2 hours running all the software updates from the last 2 years on a friend's computer. When I was finished, everything ran correctly, include Safari which had appeared to be completely broken.

bob winter
12-22-2007, 11:25 AM
There must be something wrong with the configuration. Safari works great for me. One machine is running 10.3.9 and other is running 10.4.something.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 11:29 AM
What elf says if a sight is micro$loth bloated is will bog down both firefox and Safari. What kind of sites are you lookin at ;)

I know my local MLS is soooooo MicroCrap XML intensive that I have to use an emulator to access it. Which sucks. :(

S/V Laura Ellen
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Try clearing out your cash, ...

As an Apple customer, Jobs should have already taken care of that for you.:D

Joe, I think you meant cache?

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
As an Apple customer, Jobs should have already taken care of that for you.:D

Joe, I think you meant cache?

Yea cashe yea thats the ticket LOL :D

peb
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
It only recently started crashing for me. It happens in spurts. Resetting safari helps, but the problem comes back. For example, since I first started this thread, it has not crashed again.

BTW, it is the version with all the detailed reset options. The older version was pretty stable.

This version simply locks up with and in a few seconds i get the dialog about reopening, closing, or reporting.

As for the configuration, I don't normally mess with much or do anything out of the ordinary. I would have no idea what I could have done wrong.

peb
12-22-2007, 11:35 AM
What elf says if a sight is micro$loth bloated is will bog down both firefox and Safari. What kind of sites are you lookin at ;)

I know my local MLS is soooooo MicroCrap XML intensive that I have to use an emulator to access it. Which sucks. :(

Sites: woodenboat, lot of financial, subscription based sites. drudgereport, cnn, my yahoo, espn. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Thorne
12-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Actually he should clear out his CASH, purchase a copy of Disk Warrior and run it ASAP -- his Mac shouldn't have Safari or anything else 'crashing' except on the rare sites with really bad html code. Run both the Directory and Files repair parts of Disk Warrior.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/Resources/dwbox.png

I purchase, configure, and support nearly 100 Macs in a corporate environment, running everything from animation to audio software. Browsers rarely crash, but will sometimes lock up or freeze -- you need to be clear on the distinction! Crash = "application has suddenly quit", Freeze = "application is not responding" (shows red in Force Quit or Activity Monitor windows).

When they freeze it is usually an issue with something in the cache, and can be cleared out as Joe mentions. I prefer Firefox for browsing as the code is closest to the old Navigator's gold standard, and you can control/select what you clear from the cache much better.

Also clean up your fonts. Go into FontBook, select all fonts, and pick "Resolve Duplicates". Delete or deactivate any wierd ones **that you have loaded** -- leave the rest unless you get errors about them when starting up text editiors, MS Word or graphics software.

If all else fails, delete anything that has "Safari" as part of the name (particularly from your User/Library folder and subfolders) and empty the trash, use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your hard drive, then download and re-install the Apple COMBO 10.4.11 updater. This is not the 'pushed' updater, but the full COMBO updater from www.apple.com/support (http://www.apple.com/support). That will reinstall Safari and leave you with nice clean caches. Run the Software Update again (the 'pushed' updates) and run Disk Utility's repair permissions a final time.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Peb sounds more like it may be possibly something more than just Safari. Run Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and restart the computer. It should go away.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Also the only time when safari is taxed out is when I have about 30 websites open simultaneously ( YEA Ya got to love tab browsing :D )

elf
12-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Repairing Permissions is of much disputed value, among my Mac friends. But I do it every time I mess with upgrades or download some new stuff anyway.

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.

Yes, you PC guys. Macs do need some maintenance. Once a week or so it's advised to shut them down and restart. And some recommend running the Disk Utility app the way I suggested above.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Repairing Permissions is of much disputed value, among my Mac friends. But I do it every time I mess with upgrades or download some new stuff anyway.

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.

Yes, you PC guys. Macs do need some maintenance. Once a week or so it's advised to shut them down and restart. And some recommend running the Disk Utility app the way I suggested above.

I do it once a year :eek: Thats all I need and I'm a ummmmmm heavy mac user. My laptop is never off obviously ;)

peb
12-22-2007, 12:02 PM
thanks for the advice and ideas.

Bruce Taylor
12-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Good luck solving it.

Our Mac (roughly the same vintage as yours) used to crash a lot. Then, a couple of months ago, the crashes stopped.

I have no idea what changed. The same household rascals are using the computer, and they're running exactly the same software as before, but for some reason the system doesn't crash anymore.

[Shrug]

Greg P H
12-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I had trouble occasionally with safari, so I switched over to Firefox.
There seemed to be a correlation with running photoshop/Itunes/ and an astrology ;) program open at the same time when browsing. I suspect it's a 'darkside problem though.

Yeah Macs like a little maintenance, I like to restart mine every month or so....

adampet
12-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm a big Firefox for Mac fan. Very stable, and customizable. I swap skins seasonally. Plus I really need the spell check!
I did have an interesting crash with the work laptop( Dell). Using Firefox I was trying to get iTunes for Windows, and every time I typed in 'apple.com'
the whole thing froze. happened three times in a row. I had to go round back to the iTunes web site. hmmm

adam

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Plus I really need the spell check!

Adam you do know you can spell check in ANY program on a mac by simply hitting Shift/apple/then the ": " ;) Not that I ever use it :D

adampet
12-22-2007, 01:24 PM
But Firefox checks as I type...Yes I do know that keyboard command Joe. thanks though...

Adam

rbgarr
12-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I prefer Firefox on Mac, too and I'm the moron who can't resize pictures smaller.

But astrology programs?? Greg. Please. Are you trying to bring more stupid condescension down on Mac users? :D

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Just found a new feature on safari that was upgraded in my last OS upgrade. When Tab browsing and you click the little red delete browser window button it will NOW ask if you want to delete all the tabs. What a nice touch that admitantly has been a part of other browsers fro some time. I cant tell you how many times I've had about 30 browsers open including a full almost complete WBF thread I was about to post but I was searching for some obscure photo or website and I accidentally hit the red button and POOF its all gone :(

pcford
12-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Try clearing out your cash,

I thought that was the first thing Steve Jobs does to you fanboys.

Evidently Apple is now setting their law dogs on those blogs that mock Dear Leader:
http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 01:46 PM
:D :D :D Good one pcford :D

elf
12-22-2007, 01:58 PM
When Tab browsing and you click the little red delete browser window button it will NOW ask if you want to delete all the tabs.
Cmd-H to hide Safari from the desktop, Cmd-W to close just the current window. Forget mice, use keystrokes.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 02:00 PM
ONE person is talking about one program crashing that all the other Mac users find odd. Ya folla Norman ;)

Or do I have to dredge up the 1 million threads posted on all sorts of Windoze problems that have been posted on this forum ?

Now back down to your dungeon :D

Greg P H
12-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I prefer Firefox on Mac, too and I'm the moron who can't resize pictures smaller.

But astrology programs?? Greg. Please. Are you trying to bring more stupid condescension down on Mac users? :D

I think it just reflects the eclectic, creative, open minded nature of Mac users ;)

It was hard to find one that would run on a mac... most are for Darksiders. This one does all the math and graphics, but no interpretation... We don't need to be told what things mean:D

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 02:11 PM
LOL care to compare the WBF total PC crash threads ? :D

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 02:37 PM
OK Norman moving away from purely anecdotal evidence ( WE ALL KNOW ABOUT YOUR WIFES MAC USAGE :rolleyes:;) )

Would you say generally the Unix based Mac OS X is more stable than Vista ?

FWIW as previously stated I've worked on
IBM 370's ( APL, Fortran, COBOL, C, C+, PAscal, BASIC & some machine code. )
Commodore 64
Commodore PET
Sinclare
TRS 80's
Apple ][
Mac se
Mac Quadra
Newton
eMate (bought JUST for the industrial design ;) )
iMac
iBook ( Original orange one )

Currently use daily
PowerBook G4
iPhone ( uses safari ) ;)

and

One of several CRASH prone WinTels running XP or NT.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 02:57 PM
If that old 1984 Mac mentality about macs only being good, and they're the preferred platform for video production and graphics.

Why then is it most white glove law firms use mac's Or how about the anecdotal evidence of a buddy of mine who works for NASA at the Goddard space institute as well as a renowned physicist and climatoligist do all his work on a Apple Powerbook ?

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Great, Terrific. That means he likes the Mac, is comfortable with it, familiar with it, and it satisfies his needs.

And this means what?

Actually his entire department works on mac with a proprietary software written for mac and using the UNIX ability to access their mainframe. Seriously a lot of academics and obscure R&D and law firms use macs the MYTH that they are only used for graphics is as old as my old Apple ][ ;)

pcford
12-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Hold on just a damn minute.. I NEVER said that Macs were only used for graphics... I did say that Macs were the pre-eminent platform for video editing and production, which is true.

Norm...even that is not really true...Macs are popular for editing at a certain level. (I would call it the precious semi-pro level.) But there are lots of editing on a pc...that's what I use. Video seems to be the final entrenched spot that there are people thinking "PCs are for business, Macs are for graphics."

Don't know what the percentage of editing being done on a PC, but I would not be surprised if it is 50% or more..Look in any video mag and you will see ads for PC computers for editing. The big studios use Linux boxes.

Joe (SoCal)
12-22-2007, 06:27 PM
U.S. Army to Instigate Wider Mac Implementation

The U.S. Army's office of enterprise information systems is introducing Mac computers to its systems, it is hoped the move will render the Army less open to attack from hackers. Further, by having Macs as part of their system, it is less likely a single attack will take effect across the whole network. These new measures come at a time when the security of digital information has increasingly been under threat.
Hackers, in the past year, have managed to procure top-secret information directly from Pentagon computers, as well as from major military contractors, including Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Raytheon. Growing concern for the safety of sensitive information has led to the introduction of the Mac computers as a way to thwart the efforts of hackers prematurely. At present, Apple provides some 20,000 of the Army's 700,000 servers and desktops. This may be a very small proportion, but the number is growing annually. This fact sits a little uneasy with us:

Although we would not trade our Macs for Aladdin's lamp, calling them in to the Army's systems to further its security is questionable. First thing, we are not great believers that Macs offer greater protection than Microsoft's offerings; secondly, even if they did; where there's a will, there's a way. That way may not be so difficult with Apple computers, making the route of attack potentially easier. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Apple's Mac OS X license state military use of its software is forbidden?

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/12/20/apple-army-hackers-tech-security-cx_ag_1221army.html?feed=rss_technology

Given Apple's marketing toward the young and the trendy, you wouldn't expect the U.S. Army to be much of a customer. Lieutenant Colonel C.J. Wallington is hoping hackers won't expect it either.

Wallington, a division chief in the Army's office of enterprise information systems, says the military is quietly working to integrate Macintosh computers into its systems to make them harder to hack. That's because fewer attacks have been designed to infiltrate Mac computers, and adding more Macs to the military's computer mix makes it tougher to destabilize a group of military computers with a single attack, Wallington says.

This past year was a particularly tough one for military cybersecurity. Cyberspies infiltrated a Pentagon computer system in June and stole unknown quantities of e-mail data, according to a September report by the Financial Times. Later in September, industry sources told Forbes.com that major military contractors, including Boeing (nyse: BA - news - people ), Lockheed Martin (nyse: LMT - news - people ), Northrop Grumman (nyse: NOC - news - people ) and Raytheon (nyse: RTN - news - people ) had also been hacked.

The Army's push to use Macs to help protect its computing corps got its start in August 2005, when General Steve Boutelle, the Army's chief information officer, gave a speech calling for more diversity in the Army's computer vendors. He argued the approach would both increase competition among military contractors and strengthen its IT defenses.

Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) computers still satisfy only a tiny portion of the military's voracious demand for computers. By Wallington's estimate, around 20,000 of the Army's 700,000 or so desktops and servers are Apple-made. He estimates that about a thousand Macs enter the Army's ranks during each of its bi-annual hardware buying periods.

Nicholas Carey
12-22-2007, 08:43 PM
A common source of mis- and odd behaviours in OS X applications (such as Safari) is a corrupted or logically/structurally inconsistent plist (preferences list). Deleting the plist will clear up the problem: if it's missing, the application will recreate the plist on startup.

The only downside is that deleting the plist essentially rolls back any preferences you've set.

Plists live in this directory:

~/Library/Preferences

which is shorthand for

/Users/user-id/Library/Preferences

where user-id is, of course, your user id (short form).

Safari's plist is named com.apple.Safari.plist.

To delete it, do the following:

1. Shut down Safari (<command>-Q)

2. Open a command shell (Applications...Utilities..Terminal).

3. change to your preferences directory by entering this command: cd ~/Library/Preferences, pressing <enter> after it. The command prompt (unless you've customized your shell from the defaults) should change to reflect the new directory.

4. Make sure you're in the right place by entering this command: ls -l com.apple.Safari.plist, as above. You should see something like this:

nicholas-careys-computer:~/Library/Preferences ncarey$ ls -l com.apple.Safari.plist

-rw------- 1 ncarey ncarey 1794 Dec 3 00:49 com.apple.Safari.plist
5. Delete the plist by entering this command: rm com.apple.Safari.plist

Of course, you can delete it via the Finder as well: double click on your home directory, then drill down to Library..Preferences. Find the file and drag it to the trash.

Restart Safari and see if the problem has gone away.