PDA

View Full Version : kettenberg k40

techtom3
12-17-2007, 12:11 AM
greetings,
I,ve been the proud owner of a k40 for most of a year now and believe that this is a great boat. I do have some questions.
1) why are these boats so inexpensive ? I know about their rib problems but damn!
2) I crewed on a j92 and loved the asym spinn. I am thinking of adding a bowsprit and running an asym while leaving the existing headstay thus creating a cutter rig. She came with a chute but no pole-previous owner never used the chute. Not looking forward to fighting a 17 foot long 4inch diam pole. any thoughts ?

Dave Fleming
12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
If that is the Koehler Kraft yard on Shelter Island, I would hope that someone at that yard would recall the Kettenberg's , now part of Driscolls "island empire'.
Though not for long, if the port has their way with the parking lot, condo's and, promenade to connect up with Shelter Island.
Supposedly going to go from the walkway in front of the Sport Fishing Piers past Point Loma Seafoods, across Kettenberg's/Driscoll's to Shelter Island proper.

The SDMM might have info on the K's. IRRC Mr.K is now in Fiddlers Green so perhaps his papers 'n stuff were donated to the Museum or perhaps the SD Yachit Club might have some info.

Lew Barrett
12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't know that K40s or Kettenbergs in general are necessarily inexpensive, or cheap. I think everything with wooden boats is condition related. If the boat is in great nick, it will be reflected in the price. Survivors are frequently worn down and require a lot of repair. Great ones are rare. Prices reflect that as much as anything else in my experience.

John B
12-17-2007, 03:49 PM
If you're racing you could add a prod I suppose.. it doesn't really make it a cutter but I see what you mean.
If you're cruising though why bother.. most people just run an asymetric/gennaker/MPS call it what you will, off the stem or anchor fairlead/spare man. Just run a dork ( I know I know ).. some plastic hose sticking out below the tack and gybe the sheet around the outside rather than inside.The dork catches the lazy sheet and prevents the dreaded run over the sheet tangle up in every dang thing nightmare.