PDA

View Full Version : Maine Shrimp

JBreeze
12-15-2007, 07:57 PM
On one of the fishing boards I visit, a thread was started about Maine shrimp. Apparently the season just started, and a good haul is expected.

The Maine shrimp are small, and nothing like the pictures of shrimp earster posted in the past. When I lived a little further north, I used to see roadside vendors selling whole shrimp.

So what's the story, Mainers? Are they a regional delicacy or a seasonal fad? How do you buy them....in frozen blocks, or only fresh?

What is the best way to use them....seafood chowder? Sauteed in garlic butter? Baked in a casserole? Spill the beans, please:D

http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/food/07/01/08_market_lg.jpg

Backfin
12-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Probably the only thing left to catch. Next they will be trying to market jellyfish and sea robins.

Hwyl
12-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I buy them fresh, they're $1.25 a pound in Kennebunk.

My Grandfather was a shrimp fisherman on Morecambe bay anfd it was the job of women and children to "pick" (shell) them. I can do it with my eyes closed.

JBreeze
12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Don't laugh, BacKfin.....one day I pulled up a large sea robin....about 5 lbs., which is really large for my local waters. The person I was fishing with tried to convince me that the fillets near the tail tasted like lobster.

That may be true, but I can't fillet a fish that is grunting and trying to talk to me while I'm carefully removing the hook. SO he went back overboard to live another day.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1001/1473942394_ab127e50aa.jpg?v=0

(This picture is from a google search)

StevenBauer
12-15-2007, 08:19 PM
We already have a Maine Shrimp thread going here. :)

www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=72858

Maine Shrimp (northern cold water shrimp) are awesome. Some don't like them because they don't know how to cook them. In the shell for just a minute. Any longer and they'll be mush. But done right they are tasty and tender and delicious.

If I buy the shrimp already cleaned, ie shrimp meat, @ $5.99/lb, I'll make Chinese Dumplings, a huge crowd pleaser. :D

www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=16634&highlight=shiu+mai

JBreeze
12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Steve, I missed it in Misc.

Btm line, if I can't ge them here fresh, are they almost as good frozen? Do you freeze some for dumplings after the season is ended?

ishmael
12-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I haven't had any in a few years. 1.25 is a good price. Last I looked at the grocers it was closer to 4.25. I thought about it, but balked. Driving down Bucksport way next time I'll look for a roadside truck.

They are sweet little boogers! Different than southern Atlantic shrimp.

A memory that makes me chuckle. Living with a bunch of other crazy boatbuilding apprentices we pooled our pennies one night and had a feeding frenzy. Ed Duffy, who was a funny artist guy, made a plaque of red oak and mounted a shrimp head on it in trophy display. It hung over our sink for months. I think we were paying .65.

paladin
12-15-2007, 09:07 PM
The ones from coastal vietnam are 8-10 to a pound......I get them in 5 pound frozen bricks from Port Aransas.......in the shell....then I buy blue crab and stuff them, dip them in thin tempura batter, and drop them in the deep fryer one at a time for about 30 seconds......

Mrleft8
12-15-2007, 09:13 PM
About the only thing better than St. Augustine shrimp is Coldwater (Maine) shrimp....

PatCox
12-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Our groceries sometimes havve them. They are small and delicate but very sweet and tasty. I think I'd make a white pasta sauce with them if I saw some that looked fresh. Garlic, butter, parsely, over angel hair.

I have had those rock shrimp from northern florida, they are fantastic, thick hard shell means less meat, more shell, per pound, but they are more like little lobsters than shrimp.

Has anyone else noticed a change in the shrimp market lately? After 15 years of farmed asian tiger shrimp dominating the market, my grocery stores are starting to sell frozen and even fresh Gulf shrimp, at comparable prices. I know I would far rather pay $10 a pound for 16-20 wild gulf shrimp than $5.99 for muddy tasting farmed asian shrimp. I am dubious about what goes into those ponds.

And crab, whats going on with crab? Its hard to find picked american crabmeat, its all from the phillipines and vietnam, and to make it worse, you have to look at the fine print to find that out. I don't like the idea of eating anything from the phillipines or vietnam, am I wrong about this?

Vince Brennan
12-15-2007, 11:16 PM
I've been using Indonesian/Phillipine/Malaysian crab for my crabcakes for some time... it does taste a little less "crabby", but stil works well in cakes. Not so hot for a crab salad, tho. But: no problems encountered so far (other than the odd RPG in the Vietnamese cans, that is...).

paladin
12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
The Philippine and Vietnam Shrimp/Prawns are good eating.....you can get the big tiger prawns, tails on, shelled, deveined, butterflied, ready to stuff........and their great in chioppino with rock lobster tails..
Now abalone is coming from Oz and is great with the oyster sauce.....stone crabs are down a bit.

pipefitter
12-16-2007, 03:07 AM
We used to net shrimp here in the bays by hand from the bridges with long handled dip nets and a lantern. On a slow night, 200 head and on a good night, up to 1200 which is about 2- 5 gallon buckets of shrimp ranging from 4-8" long. Supposedly, the bay shrimp don't have the iodine content as much as they do when they return to the gulf. They were sweeter in the bay and the mud vein more faint to nonexistent. The shrimp here would become double size following a red tide being there was so many dead fish for them to feed on. I used to keep about 10 dozen hand picks in a live box tied next to my boat for bait at all times. Throw a slab of fish in there with them and keep them in the dark and their shells would get harder, more orange in color and real hardy on the hook.

Shrimp are pretty formidable in numbers. One night we put 2 dozen pinfish in the aerated shrimp tank to keep for bait later that night and the shrimp in there, cornered and attacked and killed/ate the fish.

ishmael
12-16-2007, 06:36 AM
"And crab, whats going on with crab? Its hard to find picked american crabmeat, its all from the phillipines and vietnam"

We don't see the blue crab up here, but we do have Maine crab meat. I don't know if it's an intentional fishery, or if it's just a by catch and a side line for the trawler guys.

I've stopped buying Asian shrimp because from what I can gather the lagoons where they raise them are playing hell with the local ecosystems. The last I read it was very much a sort of slash and burn economy; make an impoundment, raise shrimp for just a couple of years and then leave a foetid pool behind for another fresh impoundment.

Living in Baltimore for a number of years, the crab season was a sparkler. The Chesapeake had all kinds of problems, the oysters pretty much gone, but when I was there the blue crab fishery was quite healthy. We'd have small gatherings and buy a passel of them. Steam 'em up in some Old Bay! Good eats! More work than a lobster.

And finally, on the sea dwelling arthropod theme, I had it confirmed to me the other day at the market a story I'd heard about king crab. The market labels the sea critters as to country of origin. I'd heard that in the forties and fifties Stalin made a program to transplant king crabs from their native place up there in Alaska waters to Russian waters in the north Atlantic/Baltic. He tried a couple times and failed, but then they finally took hold and by reports are flourishing. The market had king crab legs labeled "Russia."

timfish
12-16-2007, 06:58 AM
your right about the asian shrimp maket ishael.the fish farming is just about the same as pig farming.only in asia there isnt enough regulation of what they put into them (feed ,color dye,antibiotics).the asian market has taken over the market share in the us and driven the us price down.the northern shrimp market has been taken over by deep sea fisheries in the artic circle (newfoundland,labrador)they process what amounts to all the us. quota in one day in one plant.much of that goes to the dried shrimp market in asia.why dont they eat thier own product?

rbgarr
12-16-2007, 11:14 AM
A recipe for cold Maine shrimp appetizer:

One or two pounds of blanched (one minute) shelled shrimp

Marinade-
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c white vinegar
1/4 c veg oil
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire
tsp or more brown sugar to taste

Layer shrimp in a dish with thin sliced vidalia onions and a few bay leaves. Pour dressing over, cover and refrig. 24 hours. It gets better as it marinates longer. Good on crackers.

Mrleft8
12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
A recipe for cold Maine shrimp appetizer:

One or two pounds of blanched (one minute) shelled shrimp

Marinade-
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c white vinegar
1/4 c veg oil
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire
tsp or more brown sugar to taste

Layer shrimp in a dish with thin sliced vidalia onions and a few bay leaves. Pour dressing over, cover and refrig. 24 hours. It gets better as it marinates longer. Good on crackers.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Please sir......May I have some more?....