PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the Dow

George.
12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Yesterday the fed cut rates less than expected/needed. The market sank.

Today, the Fed announces a credit plan. The Dow soars.

Of course, it would have been impossible to make the two announcements on the same day, or a couple of weeks apart. Lucky for those who guessed right, right? No insider trading in America, no siree... :rolleyes:

Tylerdurden
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
You all need to look at what the PPT has been doing these past months. There is a reason they decided to hide M3.

The fat lady already started to sing but someone tackled her down the stairs and told her they would pull an AbuGarab on her arse if she didn't shut up.

Meanwhile Parkland international the natives see this................
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/mudhutwarrior/New_Highway_Info_Sign.jpg

Gary E
12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Ohh common... what you hear is total BS,,,designed to make the public feel good...

Look at the real trading, todays interday,,,
it's DOWNHILL all day
In other words... Lets sell some more of this paper to the gullable public and tank this mkt...
Where will it end up today????
No one knows.... well maybe Goldman and Merrill do

JBreeze
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
George.

What's really interesting is the number of Goldman Sachs people floating around the globe. Supposedly, being part of GS is like being a member of the Yale Skull and Bones.....you may move on, but you are a member for life!

One market commentator listed a bunch of Goldman almuni....I don't remember all the names and positions, but I'm pretty sure it included the chief financial officers in Canada and Italy, as well as US execs like Rubin, etc. who head investment banks following government positions.

Collusion!? No way:D

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't understand this.
We REDS know that the way to a higher stock market is to cut taxes. Our guy, George W. and his minions have cut taxes to unbelievably low levels. Why do players in the stock market so desireous of low interest rates, too?

George Roberts
12-12-2007, 05:49 PM
George. ---

Th DOW is a benchmark. The DOW is up about 10% this year. Few investors are content with 10% return.

My investments are up about 30%.

Most of the people I know who "invest" rather than buy and sell stocks make over 20% a year.

To argue that the guys with money are making a profit off of a 3% change in the DOW is foolish.

JBreeze
12-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Geo. Roberts,

Ever hear of options or futures? If you are "in the know", you can make your "year" in 1 day! Its called leverage.

Give me $10K and tell me which way there is going to be a 3% swing in an index or commodity or currency over a short period of time and I'm confident I could make $50K easily....bet Gary E could make a lot more:D

By the way...here is the Goldman Sachs bonus pool for 2007...18.8 Billion

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article3041995.ece

carioca1232001
12-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Geo. Roberts,

Ever hear of options or futures? If you are "in the know", you can make your "year" in 1 day! Its called leverage.

Give me $10K and tell me which way there is going to be a 3% swing in an index or commodity or currency over a short period of time and I'm confident I could make $50K easily....bet Gary E could make a lot more:D

By the way...here is the Goldman Sachs bonus pool for 2007...18.8 Billion

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article3041995.ece

My nephew mentioned that a cousin of his, an engineer turned financier who works for Goldman in São Paulo, was receiving hefty bonuses yearly. The figures quoted me sounded irreal.

With 30 K employees worldwide and a 18 billion bonus, each employee should receive a 600K bonus on the average, yes !

Wild Wassa
12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I like how market gamblers call themselves investors ... and their bets are called investments.

Calling gambling investing, does not give market gamblers any rights to be dealt fairly, any more fairly than the other types of gamblers can expect.

You can't blame the bookies for manipulating your odds or your chance to win. Bookies manipulate all contests to their favour. Wagering and winning is always stacked against the gambler ... someone always take a cut ... especially from your winnings.

Gambling is gambling. You are lucky you are not ripped off more by bookies and their agents, more than you are ... no matter what type of suit they are wearing.

Investing, I always call my bets investments ... but I don't expect to win. When I do, I reclaim some of my losses. There is only one person to blame for my gambling when I lose ... me.

One of my Skippers is a day trader. He knows exactly what he is doing with money ... gambling. As he says, it is a very risky business.

Warren.

Gary E
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
You first must learn the difference between investing and trading...

George Roberts
12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
JBreeze ---

Ever fix a horse race? You only make money if you can get others to bet against you.

I don't bet on daily noise in the market. I don't even try to buy low. I simply look for better investments.

brad9798
12-13-2007, 10:18 PM
DING DING DING ... for the first time in history, I agree with Broken Arrow!

at leat you seem to know about investing ... good on you.

:)