PDA

View Full Version : Soda Blasting?

Stu Fyfe
12-07-2007, 10:12 AM
In looking for a reasonable way to get 20 years of bottom paint off an epoxy over cloth strip plank bottom without destroying the cloth and epoxy, I was advised to look at soda blasting. Anybody have experience with this proceedure? And, no, I don't mean shaking up a Coke and blasting away!

Canoez
12-07-2007, 10:21 AM
http://www.sodablastingservices.com/index.htm

It has some info about the process. Seems a lot like dry-ice blasting in some respect.

Stu Fyfe
12-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, I saw that site in my Google search. Sound probable, but I'd trust the forumites before I'd trust a company.

Bill Lowe
12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
I have baned it from the boatyard. Three different contractors with all their promise have failed to secure there mess. The soda residue screws up varnish, overspray mist stains gelcoat yellow, on glass boats to get hard bottom paint off they will start eruding the gel coat, surface MUST BE SANDED with 80# as the surface is polished. We are back to paint remover and sandpaper

Stu Fyfe
12-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I would be considering it on my own property away from other boats and residences. Thanks for your input. I can see how it would leave a mess if it's not done properly.

willmarsh3
12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I watched soda blasting at Herrington Harbor in Maryland. There they blasted the bottoms to remove paint and gelcoat in preparation for putting on barrier coat. They taped thick plastic sheet just above the waterline so it hung down to the ground like a curtain. It seemed effective in containing the dust. This was an in house contractor with a specific setup for this though.