PDA

View Full Version : Talking about climate change...

Wild Dingo
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM
ITS FRIGGIN COLD HERE!!!

I mean its meant to be SUMMER??? sooooo wheres the heat? heck wheres the damned sun for cryin out loud????

last 2 weeks has seen nothin but overcast gloomy wet cold weather here which IS NOT NORMAL!!! by now its usually at least 26 - 28C and SUNNY!!! sooo nicely warm... but its NOT!!!

GAK!!! PUKE!!! flamin mongrel cold miserable shyte weather!! :mad:

We were yarnin about the weather changes last night and her highness reckons that we will see snow here within 5 years at the rate its goin... I dont doubt her :(

Todd Bradshaw
12-06-2007, 12:12 AM
It could be worse Shane. This was my back yard today on a nice sunny afternoon and currently it's 1 degree F outside. If this crap keeps up, it's gonna' be winter soon! Gotta wear snowshoes to get to the grill.....

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/snow%20002%20copy.jpg

seanz
12-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Bunbury

Mostly sunny
11 - 22
http://www.abc.net.au/weather/icons/mostly_sunny_sm.gif
vs

Christchurch

Today

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/apn/sitefiles/view/lib/version031/gfx/wp-thumb-cloud.gif Cloudy. Southerlies easing.
High: 15į Low: 8į
:rolleyes:

Sooky sooky la la

:D

And Todd Bradshaw this is suppposed to be summer.................
that's a pretty picture though, maybe we could get Dingo some snow shoes.....

Nanoose
12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Ah, Dingo....quit yer belly achin! We don't need no more whinin down here!!

Are ya tryin to win the Crankiest Bilge Rat contest er somethin? :eek:

Wild Dingo
12-06-2007, 01:25 AM
sean mate those weather peanuts ARE WRONG!!!... no sun here unless its behind the clouds which cover the sky from one horizon to the other like a bloody great black witches caldron :mad: and the temp? its all of maybe MAYBE 15 if were lucky

Yeah an we know yous poor sods in the land of the great white cloud have it tough :p and hence why Ive been tryin to convince young Johnno to send Waione to me for a spell :rolleyes:

Nan... I am havin a bitche thats all... a grumpy ol man I am not!! a tad grouchy a smidgeon cantankerous maybe but grumpy? not a chance!

WOW!! Todd... man you blokes sure should do somethin about the bird population up there... they musta broken into the laxetive company cause theyve crapped all over yer back yard!!! :eek:

WX
12-10-2007, 05:16 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7135836.stm

Last Updated: Monday, 10 December 2007, 07:40 GMT
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Climate change goal 'unreachable'
By Roger Harrabin
BBC environment analyst, Bali

Desert - file photo
If global temperatures rise, billions will face water shortages
The world is more than 50% likely to experience dangerous levels of climate change, according to science advisers to the UK and German governments.

Vince Brennan
12-10-2007, 05:40 AM
I just stopped pointing this stuff out to others altogether. Gournish Helfen: if they believe in GW scenarios, they're already working to curb emissions and I'm preaching to the choir, if they do NOT believe in it, then (IMHO) no amount of beating about the head with facts will change their outlook ("It's all crap, it's just youse lot wantin' to bring my lifestyle down to YOUR plebian levels!") and, since most of the control falls into the hands of the latter... well, you get the point.

I'm tired of it. I done fought the fight, now someone else can pick up the bloody spear.

Hot Air
12-10-2007, 08:16 AM
You're tired of it? Don't you want to save the earth? You could be just a couple of posts away from changing thousands of minds and then, and then...oh yeah, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Stand down. Oh look, it is snowing again.

WX
12-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I know what you mean Vince. At least we now have a government willing to take it seriously.

The Bigfella
12-10-2007, 05:18 PM
At least we now have a government willing to take it seriously.

Actually - there is very little difference in the new and the old. Have you noticed that the new government are running away from making commitments at the moment? They are saying "wait" - just like the old one did. Ratifying the old Kyoto was pure symbolism.

skuthorp
12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Well, I'm a pessimist here, short term interests will hold sway, not enough will (or can) be done, climate change will happen and the worlds species will have to cope. It may be cyclical, our emissions and numbers over the last 150 years may make it worse, but all Aus can do is gain the high moral ground with emmission control unless China and India can be bought on board. And then accept that change is upon us and prepare a population largely unprepared for the next few decades/few hundred/few thousand years. And all that without exciting panic.
A few friends and I were talking about this and we think that in a wose case scenario subsistence farmers in Africa have a better prospect of surviving a big change than any spoilt and unskilled city dweller. I was reminded of the biblical quote "the meek shall inherit the earth".

And Shane, at least you are getting rain!

WX
12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/snow%20002%20copy.jpg

hey Todd, what's R2D2 doing in your backyard?
:D

Bigfella, my youthful idealism go the better of me there....I live forlornly in hope that more than lip service will be paid to the problem. Unfortunately, it's too late already because the cuts to CO2 will not be enough.
Skuthorp, "the meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights".

The Bigfella
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
The link to an article in the Australian that I posted in the Oz Politics thread a while back put it into perspective.

There's 10,000 negotiators and hangers on in Bali at the moment - and they are all expected to ensure a "win" for their country - and certainly no disadvantage. As per trade negotiations.

So - nothing will happen to satisfy you, me or the gatepost.

What is likely to eventually happen to make things shift is consumer boycotts at national levels. Despite the preponderence of people from some of the major offending nations who think that they can continue in isolation - they can't. If the EU, for example boycotted US, Chinese and Indian products and services, it would drive each of those nations into recession - and eventually force change. It might cause a war or two along the way - but life's like that eh?

skuthorp
12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Water and other resources will cause wars anyhow I think, and as for population movement........we aint seen nothing yet!

Zane Lewis
12-11-2007, 03:14 AM
This site is worth a visit. No doubt most countries will have there equivalent.

http://www.climatescience.org.nz/

I would challange anyone to spend some time reading a few articles and looking at the background science rather than the headline statements.

Hot Air
12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
There is something heretical about posting nzclimatescience.org.nz. Clearly you have not received the memo from the High Priest that the debate is over, that there is a scientific concensus, etc.
In fact the latest proclamation from the High Priest while in Oslo is that those who doubt man-made climate change are akin to those who could not see the danger posed by Hitler and the Nazi.
Man fell from grace when Al Gore lost in 2000. We will now be consumed by a disaster of Biblical proportions - a fiery hell of our own making.
But gee, what if it had something to do with the sun....

Tylerdurden
12-11-2007, 08:58 AM
They are screwed too.

From The Sunday Times
April 29, 2007
Climate change hits Mars

Mars is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, writes Jonathan Leake.
Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.
Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.
The mechanism at work on Mars appears, however, to be different from that on Earth. One of the researchers, Lori Fenton, believes variations in radiation and temperature across the surface of the Red Planet are generating strong winds.
In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planetís temperature.
Fentonís team unearthed heat maps of the Martian surface from Nasaís Viking mission in the 1970s and compared them with maps gathered more than two decades later by Mars Global Surveyor. They found there had been widespread changes, with some areas becoming darker.
When a surface darkens it absorbs more heat, eventually radiating that heat back to warm the thin Martian atmosphere: lighter surfaces have the opposite effect. The temperature differences between the two are thought to be stirring up more winds, and dust, creating a cycle that is warming the planet.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1720024.ece

Robbie 2
12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
They are screwed too.

From The Sunday Times
April 29, 2007
Climate change hits Mars

Mars is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, writes Jonathan Leake.
Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.
Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.
The mechanism at work on Mars appears, however, to be different from that on Earth. One of the researchers, Lori Fenton, believes variations in radiation and temperature across the surface of the Red Planet are generating strong winds.
In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planetís temperature.
Fentonís team unearthed heat maps of the Martian surface from Nasaís Viking mission in the 1970s and compared them with maps gathered more than two decades later by Mars Global Surveyor. They found there had been widespread changes, with some areas becoming darker.
When a surface darkens it absorbs more heat, eventually radiating that heat back to warm the thin Martian atmosphere: lighter surfaces have the opposite effect. The temperature differences between the two are thought to be stirring up more winds, and dust, creating a cycle that is warming the planet.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1720024.ece

Obviously this is being caused by 'Mans' interfering in the local climate conditions with the placement of all these Mars landers/explorers....we should desist immediately!:eek:

WX
12-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Climate change hits Mars.
Might be caused by the Sun?
Well, don't you think it might be a good idea to start limiting anything that can cause our atmosphere to heat up? Makes sense to me.

boylesboats
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Well we're under ice here... all the way from Oklahoma, Kansas, and through Missouri... Millions are in the dark, with no heat...

WX
12-11-2007, 10:14 PM
That's the thing that puzzles most people I think. if the world's heating up, why the hell am I freezing my arse off?
The atmosphere is a complex bit of gear.
If I was a God botherer I'd be praying we don't get a Cyclone down this way. It certainly looks like we are going to get a "WET" Wet Season.

skuthorp
12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Well if we get an ice age then that's where the glaciers will be, again Boylesboats.
Sorry, not gloating, no comfort to you at all. Is this a more sudden onset than 'normal' if there is such a thing?
And yes WX, parts of Aus are approaching tornado conditions at times, including down south.

WX
12-11-2007, 10:32 PM
We had a big black cloud over Murwillumbah yesterday that looked like it had the beginnings of a vortex. If this had been the US I would have been ducking for cover. It wasn't, it just looked that way.
Given the number of rain and thunderstorms we are getting on the North Coast here, I'm glad I bought decent wet weather gear for the trip.

boylesboats
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Well if we get an ice age then that's where the glaciers will be, again Boylesboats.
Sorry, not gloating, no comfort to you at all. Is this a more sudden onset than 'normal' if there is such a thing?
And yes WX, parts of Aus are approaching tornado conditions at times, including down south.

There have been a big panic in several cities, people flooded hardware, grocery stores to get the last minute things like generators, rock salts, and such...
Myself, I just load up on firewoods, have plenty of kerosene, and gas and oil for the chainsaw..
Past spring and summer, we didn't get much of tornado weathers here in my area..
It is strange, because we usually get at least a half an dozen or so of tornado related storms.. Something is odd..