PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool?

Rum_Pirate
12-01-2007, 04:31 PM
IF you lived on an island in a house on the edge of the Caribbean Sea (albeit on a cliff top 40'0" above the sea) and the land was sloping (potential shallow and a deep ends) would you build a swimming pool?
IF SO, would you build one with an infinity edge?
How deep and how big?

Vested interest here.

Bruce Hooke
12-01-2007, 04:33 PM
For me, if there was decent access to the ocean for swimming there I don't think I'd bother with a swimming pool. On the other hand, if there is no way down that 40 foot cliff then it would get a lot more tempting.

botebum
12-01-2007, 04:40 PM
If I could afford to have a house like that then I suppose I could afford to damn well anything I pleased. So... why not?

Doug

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-01-2007, 05:28 PM
If you build a swimming pool on a slope, can you go water skiing?

Hughman
12-01-2007, 05:39 PM
If you build a swimming pool on a slope, can you go water skiing?

Probably not, but you would have to swim uphill, like trout.

Bruce Hooke
12-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I believe a swimming pool on a slope would be known as a river. With a REALLY BIG PUMP you could probably water ski...or try to swim uphill like a trout. With a lesser pump the fun would be over before it even started.

ishmael
12-01-2007, 06:00 PM
When I was twelve or so my mother got a small legacy from her parents. She'd always wanted an in ground pool, so we splurged and built one. I believe it was 36 ft. long, and it was L shaped with the deep end the leg of the L. That was a good arrangement, 'cause you could both swim laps and have kids doing canon balls off the diving board.

I think that's about as short as I'd build one. It was fine for us pikers, but I knew some real swimmers when I was in high school who ate that distance up in too short order--barely got their throttle open before they had to turn.

Um, I don't know your situation, but depending on where you are a pool can be an attraction to selling the property, or a detraction. People who don't want a pool will be put off. They are a lot of work unless you are also of means to hire someone to do it for you. We weren't, and I was in charge of maintenance before I went away to college. The filter, the heater in temperate climes, the water chemistry, the hand skimming, all take some daily attention, and some people really don't want that. I didn't mind at all being a technically minded kid, ooh cool, machines and chemistry sets. But some people do mind.

They are kinda fun, but as Bruce implied maybe consider a staircase down to the ocean if it's a decent swimming beach. 'Course, there ain't no sharks in a pool.

All in all, a nice problem to ponder.

P.S. Just for your consideration, I'm pretty sure that entire project, including an expansive concrete deck and a cabana where people could shower and kibitz, cost 12 grand circa 1967. That was a lot of clams for us, and the builder was a hungry, honest guy. He built a good pool. I remember him well, but I can't remember his name. Part raconteur for the selling end, part dirt in the fingernails excavator and concrete pour man. I liked him, as a kid. Here's someone honest.

rbgarr
12-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I'd make sure it was deep enough that no one could stand on the bottom anywhere near infinity/cliff edge. Too tempting to boost yourself up, sit on the edge....

Bruce Hooke
12-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I'd make sure it was deep enough that no one could stand on the bottom anywhere near infinity/cliff edge. Too tempting to boost yourself up, sit on the edge....

To anyone in half-decent shape there would be no need for a bottom to stand on to boost yourself onto the edge, so the safest route would be to make sure that the pool was set back enough from the cliff edge to keep the infinity edge from being a dangerous place. The infinity edge could also probably be designed so as to make it useless for sitting on, say by sloping it towards the pool a bit too much to make sitting possible, but I would not want to count on this as a safety measure.

Rum_Pirate
12-01-2007, 08:03 PM
There is no easy route to sea. Also it is a rocky foreshore.

Pool would be set back from cliff edge at least 15'0" as a precaution to minimise collapse of the edge.
This would still allow for an infinity edge.

Pool depth could be as deep as 9'0"on the left downhill side and 0"at other end ie a sloping bottom or could be built with a flat bottom.
Reinforced concrete is the preferred choice.

View of Kate off the edge.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/KateoffPotatoBay.jpg

View of house from the North Easthttp://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/Housewrappedingreen.jpg

View from Verandah to the South West
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/FullmoonDougsVerandah.jpg

Ditto in the early morning
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/Redpic.jpg

George Roberts
12-01-2007, 08:43 PM
It is a long way from the house to the ocean if someone needs help.

I would put in a pool for those times when a little kid might want to be in the water but no adult wants to go all the way down.

Rum_Pirate
12-01-2007, 08:49 PM
It is a long way from the house to the ocean if someone needs help.

I would put in a pool for those times when a little kid might want to be in the water but no adult wants to go all the way down. It is a 5 minute drive (at 20mph) to the nearest sandy beach.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-01-2007, 08:50 PM
You lucky SOB, I hate you!!!!

Lew Barrett
12-01-2007, 08:54 PM
We have a nice pool that came with our house. Had it not, I never would have built one in Seattle where a pool is really a silly accessory.

Having said that, living in a year round warm climate a pool makes much more sense. They are maintanance items, make no mistake.
If you take the time to learn, pool chemistry is not complex. Research the various systems available. We still use chlorine, but I'm looking into the alternatives, though not salt water.
On the right day having a pool will make you feel like a rich man. On the wrong day, a poor one. Much like a boat. It was great when the kids were kids, and I still like to swim in the morning before work, and in the evening after work. But man, 9 months a year around here.....PITA.
In the Carib? Sounds great.

Rum_Pirate
12-01-2007, 09:09 PM
We have a nice pool that came with our house. Had it not, I never would have built one in Seattle where a pool is really a silly accessory.

Having said that, living in a year round warm climate a pool makes much more sense. They are maintanance items, make no mistake.
If you take the time to learn, pool chemistry is not complex. Research the various systems available. We still use chlorine, but I'm looking into the alternatives, though not salt water.
On the right day having a pool will make you feel like a rich man. On the wrong day, a poor one. Much like a boat. It was great when the kids were kids, and I still like to swim in the morning before work, and in the evening after work. But man, 9 months a year around here.....PITA.
In the Carib? Sounds great.

I was considering this
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/Aqua-Rite-Salt-Water-Pool.html

http://www.poolwarehouse.com/Aqua-Plus-Salt-Water-Pool.html

botebum
12-01-2007, 09:17 PM
From what I understand, those salt water systems are all the rage now.

Doug

Rum_Pirate
12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
You lucky SOB, I hate you!!!! Never mind that the grass seems greener on the other side, there is always a down side. ;)

botebum
12-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Never mind that the grass seems greener on the other side, there is always a down side. ;)
Yeah right. Can't wait to hear all about the downside of living there:rolleyes:

Doug

brad9798
12-02-2007, 12:51 AM
I LOVE infinite pools ... parents have one on Sanibel Island florida ... but hey, the elevation is about 8 inches ... :D seriously, though, they are very cool ...

Lew Barrett
12-02-2007, 12:57 AM
I'd consider a salt water system seriously if I were starting from scratch. I think it's well worth looking into.

Rum_Pirate
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah right. Can't wait to hear all about the downside of living there:rolleyes:

Doug Some of the downsides of living here include, but are not limited to:-
- Hurricanes
- High hurricane insurance premium (1.5% of house rebuild cost)
- Import duty etc of 85% on the CIF cost of cars
- Limited choice in shops
- Limited restaurants and bars
- NO MacDonalds :rolleyes:
- Limited hospital capability
- high cost of food (imported plus duty of up yo 59.2%)
- etc

There are upsides as well. :cool:

TimH
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
make sure you put that chemical in the pool that turns red on contact with human urine.

Rum_Pirate
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
make sure you put that chemical in the pool that turns red on contact with human urine.
http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp

TimH
12-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Some of the downsides of living here include, but are not limited to:-
- Hurricanes
- High hurricane insurance premium (1.5% of house rebuild cost)
- Import duty etc of 85% on the CIF cost of cars
- Limited choice in shops
- Limited restaurants and bars
- NO MacDonalds :rolleyes:
- Limited hospital capability
- high cost of food (imported plus duty of up yo 59.2%)
- etc

There are upsides as well. :cool:

NO MCDONALDS?????????? :eek:

skuthorp
12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm not a fan of swimming pools but we have an decked over undeground waterstorage with a hatch. Use it as a plunge pool just to get cool on a stinker of a day as well as the garden water sorce. Just a recirculating pump to aerate it a few hours a week, no chemicals, couple of fish for the mossies and so far no problems. 2 years old.

Rum_Pirate
12-02-2007, 07:53 PM
NO MCDONALDS?????????? :eek:There is a KFC and a Domino's.
No Burger King.

PS In Barbados MacDonalds pulled one of their franchises over ten years ago. Lack of sales while the KFC down the road won a world award for pieces /catchment population. ;)

Noah
12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I have heard very good things about Salt water pools. Also looking into getting a timer installed on your pump. The pumps don't need to run that much, and you can save lots of power. All pumps aren't made the same either - better ones will use much less power.

Lew Barrett
12-03-2007, 01:55 AM
The new pumps are significantly more efficient. I'm surprised that an island that has to import a large amount of it's food would charge 60% duty on the items.
Sku: The best is to have a very accomodating neighbor with a pool, and no fences. Treated pool water, by the way, is pretty much useless in the event of a water emergency apart from fire, although all the local animals seem to thrive on it.

Rum_Pirate
12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
This ROUGH sketch shows what I might like to do (blue lines are basically the new construction)http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/Swimmingpoolroughsketch.jpg

Late afternoon view over area where pool would be constructed
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/ViewfromVerandahSouth.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/ViewfromVerandahSE.jpg

Cliff
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/Cilffatsunset.jpg

Rum_Pirate
12-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm surprised that an island that has to import a large amount of it's food would charge 60% duty on the items.
Import duty etc is the main source of Govt revenue other than Company tax.
The duties are a range.
Import Duty 0 - 25%.
Consumpton Tax 22.5%.
Customs Service Charge 6%.
There is no direct personal income taxor sales tax.
Company tax is 35%.
Sole traders/professionals tax is 4% on turnover.

Mrleft8
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM
What's an "infinity edge"?
The ONE nice thing about a pool in the caribbean is: No sand. I love the sand while I'm on it, but it's a royal pain to get rid of...

davidagage
12-03-2007, 10:11 AM
http://www.fourseasons.com/image_library/MAL/MAL_127_320x400_web-large.jpg

Rum_Pirate
12-03-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.fourseasons.com/image_library/MAL/MAL_127_320x400_web-large.jpgThe biggest difficulty is choosing the pool colour as this is ideally (IMHO) th match the background water.
But the background water colour varies/changes extensively throughout the day.

How does one chose the colour?

Paul Pless
12-03-2007, 11:43 AM
How does one chose the colour?

Maybe you can vary the apparent color of the pool with underwater lighting...

Lew Barrett
12-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Lefty,
An infinity edge is one in which the water reaches seemingly to the top of the pool. In fact, if you look past the edge of the pool, you will see a gutter to catch the spill over. The visual effect is that the water meets the sky, and that there is no "hole" so to speak in the ground; looks like a small waterfall. Very interesting visual. It's frequently done where there is a drop off at one edge so that there, the effect is most dramatic. Usually, the infinity part is active at one or at most, two edges of the pool, the; the other parts look like a regular pool.

Rummy, you are truly in a marvelous spot. I'd share grog with you there anytime!

brad9798
12-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Salinized pools are definitely the way to go ... so much nicer ... no chlorine ... in other words CHEAP to run. Far less wear and tear on the skin and swim suits ... and hair. And eyes.

In other words nothing remotely toxic.

---------

With regard to peeing in the pool ... personally, I could not care less. A few ounces of urine in 30,000 gallons (approximately 63,000 litres) matters not. The chlorine purifies it on contact.

I never worry about folks peeing in the pool ... it's a non-issue for me!

No, I am not kidding.

There are more impurities in tap water and half the bottled waters than in a swimming pool with a few gallons of golden shower!

ahp
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Back to your first question, yes I would. I like the beach and go to the beach, and we have a pool, here in SE Georgia. Having one in the back yard is very convenient, say at 9:00 pm. An infinity edge sounds like a good way to herd the leaves over and out. I don't have one, but it sounds good.

Rum_Pirate
12-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Rummy, you are truly in a marvelous spot. I'd share grog with you there anytime!
Thanks. It is a great spot. Took me three years to close after agreeing the price.

If you are in the area you are welcome to share a grog. :)