PDA

View Full Version : Big Booms, a question for the police minded.

ishmael
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Do you know the sound of a twelve gauge going off out in the woods? Well maybe a week ago there were a couple big bangs, that if I had to estimate were ten times bigger than that of a twelve gauge. They were back to back, about ten minutes apart, at 3 in the morning. South side of the road, definately terrestrial, not a plane. They were BIG, rattled the windows a bit.

Hm, says me, someone is toying with high explosives nearby.

I've debated and debated whether or not to report it. I'm a libertarian, and don't like to rat out neighbors, but it kinda unnerved me.

TimH
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Probably nothing illegal.

cs
11-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Could be a farmer clearing stumps.

Chad

S/V Laura Ellen
11-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Chad

At three in the morning? Probably not!

It's probably the Mythbusters! They like to blow thinks up and are wacky enough to be doing it at 3 AM.:D

botebum
11-30-2007, 02:44 PM

Chad

At three in the morning?
Hell, Allen beat me to it.
Doug

ishmael
11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
"Could be a farmer clearing stumps."

Yeah, in the middle of the night. It could have been a couple half sticks of TNT under some stumps, but it seems an unlikely time of day.

Not an alarmist, I just wondered how others would react. It was an impressive couple of bangs.

cs
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Ya know I just half read and didn't notice the time of day. But anyway, isn't that about the time that a farmer starts working?

Chad

botebum
11-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Ya know I just half read and didn't notice the time of day. But anyway, isn't that about the time that a farmer starts working?

Chad Not in December, in Maine.

Doug

Tom Robb
11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Terrorists practicing?
No big deal. Homeland security has us covered.

The Bigfella
11-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Jack - I'm willing to bet its a couple of teenagers who discovered how to make PET bottles go BANG. Big noise and a bit of acid go flying around - not much else. And no, I'm not posting the full recipe.

BrianW
11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Could be a meth lab. Or better yet, was a meth lab.

ishmael
12-01-2007, 08:59 AM
I think a meth lab would have been one bang. This was two distinct bangs, separated by ten minutes.

Ya know how it goes when you are half awake. You question, did I really hear that? But by the time of the second I was wide awake.

Don't know. It's a rural area, and it might have been kids playing with chemicals from under the sink. I did that when in my teens, without much sophistication.

I remember one time, camping under the stars in my parent's backyard. Around the same time, 3 AM, the sky lit up with a bright flash, and then, BOOM. It turned out to be a Darwin award nominee. The official story was that someone was making illegal fireworks and managed to demolish a little ranch house and kill everyone inside while tinkering in the basement.

Again, I'm not an alarmist about this stuff. The sound of guns that go off this time of year is hardly noticed. But these were BIG booms. I'm not one who tends to call the police, but it did make me wonder if there might be a Timothy McVeigh lurking in the woods.

Tristan
12-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Hell yes report it! If it's not something illegal no problem. If it is it NEEDS reporting.

Tim Whitten
12-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Up around here Ft Drum has changed their training flight paths closer to town. I don't mind the occasional jet noise (too much) but yesterday afternoon a sonic boon made me jump out of my chair, shook the whole house and rattled the windows. They're not supposed to be conducting supersonic flights over population areas are they?

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
You answered your own question. People who play with explosives are a danger to themselves and anyone nearby. You should have the cops look into this. It may just be some infantile jerks having their fun but, it could be a couple of local kids experimenting on ways to get even with the bullies at school.
Don't let your liberterian impulses cause you to withdraw from social responsibilities.

ishmael
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I reported it an hour ago to the local yokels, and got part of why I was reluctant to report it in the first place. I told them my name and street address, and then the desk cop started to interrogate ME!. "What's your date of birth?" "I'm sorry, what does that have to do with anything? I told you who I am, where I live." He hhrumphed and just about hung up on me.

I didn't know what could be done about it, but if I didn't report it and something bad happened I'd feel terrible. And he was typically perfunctory in the way of male desk cops.

Just trying to be a good citizen.

LeeG
12-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I'd say whatever your feelings dictate since a week has already gone by the usefulness of your feedback declined rapidly. If there's folks around there with families they are more likely to have already called the police.
It would probably be more important to ask a neighbor since neighbors will be the ones with more information,,if you have information it'll probably do more to ease your anxiety. Also it would let the experimenters know their experiments affect others.
Maybe it's a kid, maybe it's someone who's not a kid but with a new hobby. In the valley where I lived in Mendocino there was a guy named Dynamite Mike because he liked to set off dynamite for fun.
Drunk, 3am, can't sleep, wtf lets blow something up.