PDA

View Full Version : Last BCS of the regular season

cs
11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
And what a season it has been. For those that don't follow football this wont seem like much, but this has been a strange year. Start out with Michigan getting beat by Appy State and Notre Dame losing to two service acadamies.

And what about the powerhouse SEC? LSU almost a shoe in to be in the National Championship game only to be beat out by a non ranked Arkansas (another SEC team). Georgia after a thumping by the TN Volunteers end up #4 in the country, while TN after a 3 loss season ends up ranked #14 and are SEC east champions and chance to take the SEC crown in Atlanta next weekend. And defending champs Florida? All they have is a Heisman canidate in Superman, oops I mean TimTeabo. And where did South Carolina, Kentucy and Vanderbilt come from? I mean this is the SEC. Kentucky plays basketball and not football, but yet they beat LSU and they took TN to 4 overtimes.

There needs to be some mention made here of some teams that one never thinks of. First there is Hawaii, unbeaten in regular season but not a chance at a National Championship. And Southern Florida, Boston College and the Oregon Ducks.

What a year. Well with no further ado here is the latest top 20.

1 Missouri Tigers 11-1
2 West Virginia Mountaineers 10-1
3 Ohio State Buckeyes 11-1
4 Georgia Bulldogs 10-2
5 Kansas Jayhawks 11-1
6 Virginia Tech Hokies 10-2
7 LSU Tigers 10-2
8 USC Trojans 9-2
9 Oklahoma Sooners 10-2
10 Florida Gators 9-3
11 Boston College Eagles 10-2
12 Hawaii Warriors 11-0
13 Arizona State Sun Devils 9-2
14 Tennessee Volunteers 9-3
15 Illinois Fighting Illini 9-3
16 Clemson Tigers 9-3 18
17 Oregon Ducks 8-3 19
18 Wisconsin Badgers 9-3
19 Brigham Young Cougars 9-2
20 Texas Longhorns 9-3

Chad

brad9798
11-26-2007, 08:33 AM
What a game Saturday night ... Mizzou? Are you kidding me?

Not complaing, rather, I am really excited!

cs
11-26-2007, 09:37 AM
This wild and wonderful ride we call College football. Gotta love it.

My biggest complaint are all the Dawg fans that forget that even though Georgia is #4, that TN beat them head to head. They forgot that though and just want to remind you that the Dawgs are #4 and TN is #14. If Georgia had taken care of buisness than maybe they would get a shot at the SEC championship.

Looking forward to Saturday's game. The two teams that beat LSU are teams that TN beat. Maybe the game will be closer than what we are led to believe.

Chad

David G
11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
It certainly has been an interesting season, and I don't believe the excitement/craziness is over yet. My horse, regrettably, has come up lame.

My poor Oregon Ducks have taken multiple rounds of buckshot to the tailfeathers, and appear to be spiraling in hard & fast to a distinctly ungraceful landing. First they lost our top two receivers and our option 1A running back. They kept on chugging. Then they lost another receiver and a top linebacker. Kept on chugging. Then their top running back (Jonathan Stewart) was hampered with a case of turf toe. They began to look less formidable. Then they lost their Heisman-candidate QB, Dennis Dickson - in the first quarter of the Arizona game. In comes backup QB Brady Leaf: not nearly as mobile or as good a fit for the option offense designed for Dixon, but serviceable. Then, in the second quarter, Leaf twists his ankle. He plays the rest of the way, but has very little of the mobility which is key to their attack. They eventually get settled down and come inching back, but lose a close one.

The following game, against UCLA, Leaf sprains his other ankle. He's out. #3 QB has been out for a few weeks with a torn ACL, suffered in practice. Ducks are reduced to playing #4 & #5 QB's - a pair of redshirt freshmen. UCLA wins 16 - 0. First time the Ducks have been shut out since 1985.

The only part of this string of bad news that I might hold the team accountable for is the failure to respond quickly enough during the Arizona game, after Dennis Dixon went down. They showed they had the tools and the grit to come back. They just didn't respond quickly enough. <sigh> Some of that was undoubtedly the coaches failing to rally their team, some was the players themselves taking too long to shake off the big hit of losing Dixon.

All in all, they had a great year till the injuries caught up with them. Even then, if Dixon hadn't gone down, they could possibly have been playing for the National Championship (at the time they were #2 in the country). Their offense was scary-good. Their defense - which had started the year a bit tentatively - was getting stronger as the season progressed.

I'm left wishing we could have seen where they would have finished without the injury to Dixon. As it is, we'll be very lucky to survive our Civil War game against Oregon State, and limp into the Whizzinator Bowl played in Nowheresville. Am I bitter. No. But I am very, very disappointed.

Good luck to all of you who still have a team to be hopeful for.

Chris Ostlind
11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Reading that made me whince, David. I went to UCLA and after watching that game Saturday, all I could think was WOW! there went the Pitiful Bowl... for both teams.

The Bruins were into their thrid string QB, played most of thre season without their hotshot tailback and had embezzled stardom ripped from their grasp through ongoing, nagging injuries; keeping really great players from being hardly more than adequate.

I feel your pain, buddy.

Now, the looming cross-town rival game with USC looks to be a chance to experience the underside of a street sweeper. The Trojans look to be firing on all cylinders after losing their own QB early in the season and then getting him back just in time to slam Ariz. State around quite convincingly.

Chris

Paul Pless
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
You know Chad, I've never much cared for the Sooners, but...;)

cs
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Ya not trying to back door your way into the National Championship game are ya? ;)

Chad

bamamick
11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Absolutely hate it.

Mickey Lake

cs
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Now I know you had a bad ending to your season, but look on the bright side, you won yet another TN/Bama game.

There as much as I hate it, I went ahead and said it, all in the name of cheering up a down and out SEC fan.

Paul on the other hand with his Ohio State stuff, really needs a SEC attitude adjustment.

Chad

Paul Pless
11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Chad, your not even close to the hideous orange, that is volunteer orange, with that font choice! You need something more washed out and faded...

:p:p:p:p:p:p

JTA
11-26-2007, 03:41 PM
To my friends that are football fans in the great state of Alabama. I would like to point out that the 2007 Alabama State Football Champion is ...
... wait for it...

Mississippi State University.

Gotta be killing you I know

Jack
Go Dawgs!

bamamick
11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, y'all are finally the champions of SOMETHING! Enjoy the year. :)

Mickey Lake

JTA
11-26-2007, 07:54 PM
We revel in our victories when we can.

Jack

bamamick
11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
up in Oxford? Is that weird or what? And Bower is out at Southern? I never saw that one coming at all.

Mickey Lake

JTA
11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
I think Ole Miss wants Jimbo Fisher, or the defensive coordinator from Auburn. I hope both are smart enough to stay away from there. They are too good to end their career this early.

The real question is who is going to be Bama's coach next year. Isn't this about the time for the annual house cleaning in Tuscaloosa? Did Saban really compare the Louisiana-Monroe loss to 9-11 or was that some creative reporting???

Jack

bamamick
11-26-2007, 08:58 PM
the net at places like www.al.com and such. He did not compare losing to La-Monroe to those horrific events, he just more or less said that it is possible to bounce back from great adversity blah blah blah. Those of us who love the University and support the coach and the program understood what he meant and were somewhat taken aback by the media going nuts about it.

I will give you a good example: after the horrible shootings at Virginia Tech last year espn did this whole thing about their opening game with East Carolina and how it was going to heal the Hokie nation, as if a freakin' football game could heal what they've been through up there, but they milked it for what it was worth.

They (espn), of course, were the first to crawl all over our coach for making his somewhat ill advised comparison yet they see nothing wrong with how they do business. espn are among the biggest hypocrites in the world if you ask me. They will do expose's on players using HGH and such yet they are the ones who turned the home run into something larger than just another part of the game with their highlight reels. They are the ones who will hound someone to death over the use of alcohol or drugs yet wrap their programming in ads for the same stuff. They are the ones who will crucify people in the world of sports for gambling, yet they are constantly posting betting lines, run ads for internet and tv gambling sites, and have high money stakes poker tournaments as a regular part of their programming.

And their radio programming is just as bad, or worse. But to answer your question, Nick Saban isn't going anywhere until he puts you Bullies back in your place. And you guys better give University of ALABAMA alumnus Sylvester Croom a little bit of a raise or you might just be the ones looking for a coach, not us :).

Enjoy your bowl game. You deserve it.

Mickey Lake

PatCox
11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
The powerhouse SEC has no unbeaten teams because it is a powerhouse.

cs
11-26-2007, 09:08 PM
See Pat I knew there was a reason I liked you. :D A man that truely understands what the SEC is about. :)

Chad

bamamick
11-26-2007, 09:41 PM
you've got to turn off that horrible color, my man. It's burning my eyes every time I read something you post.

And I'd like to wish you guys good luck against the swamp tiggers, but I just can't. You understand, I hope? Of course, I am not real crazy about them either. Maybe espn will have a poker tournament on that I can watch instead? :)

Mickey Lake

PatCox
11-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Chad, I have a divided household, I am a gator alum and my wife went to Tennessee. At least we agree about Bama and Georgia. Parity in the SEC now means most any SEC team can beat anyone else; it used to be only the top 5 or 6 SEC teams could do that.

How bout them Fightin' Irish?

Tebow for President.

brad9798
11-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Go MIZZOU!!

David G
11-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Sure is a lot of chatter about football from the SE corner of the US. Do they play football down thataway? Seriously, or just when there are no good Pac-10 games to watch?<G>

JTA
11-27-2007, 10:20 AM
up in Oxford? Is that weird or what? And Bower is out at Southern? I never saw that one coming at all.

Mickey Lake

You called it
"JACKSON, Miss. - Houston Nutt wasn't out of a job for long: He was hired as Mississippi's football coach just hours after resigning at Arkansas."
Artilce (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071127/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_mississippi_nutt_1;_ylt=Atqs1e6jdRiN6GCLdxfsVZ 4E1vAI)

and everyone around here thinks USM made a huge mistake firing Bower. 14 years of winning seasons???

Jack

peb
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
This wild and wonderful ride we call College football. Gotta love it.

Chad

I hope that this season quiets all of the calls for a football playoff. It has been a wonderful example of how the entire season is a "round-robin" playoff system. For the top teams, every game is critical.

Would LSU fans have cared as much about Saturday's game if they knew they would be in a 8 or 16 team playoff system. Of course not. College football is unique because the whole season is so critical.

Of course, instead people will say because ther are so many one loss teams, this season proves we need a playoff system to determine a true national champion. I could not agree more. The BCS system works pretty well. If you go underdefeated (year I know about Hawaii), the odds are very high, you get to play the big game. If you loose a game, you have no reason to complain.

Even playoff systems, especially single elimination brackets, are not perfect in making sure the best team is the champion. That is not the goal.

The goal is simply to have a system, as fair as possible, that everyone understands, that produces a champion who earned it. It can't be perfect, but you cannot come up with a system that fosters a level of excitement better than college football.

brad9798
11-27-2007, 12:14 PM
SEC is a very strong division ... in just about all majors (sports).

PAC 10 is also up there ...

But they play the games for a reason ... anyone can beat anyone on a given day-- just look at the crazy wins this year by Arkansas, UCLA, Illinois) ... winning is the key.

In terms of scheduling.
Rating by Conferences
Conference Avg*
1. SEC 13.25
2. Big East 23.63
3. Pac-10 25.50
4. Big Ten 43.04
5. Big 12 49.75
6. ACC 63.79
7. Mountain West 67.55
8. WAC 74.66
9. Conference USA 91.91
10. MAC 106.23
11. Sun Belt 107.50
*Average strength of schedule rankings

hokiefan
11-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I hope that this season quiets all of the calls for a football playoff. It has been a wonderful example of how the entire season is a "round-robin" playoff system. For the top teams, every game is critical.

Would LSU fans have cared as much about Saturday's game if they knew they would be in a 8 or 16 team playoff system. Of course not. College football is unique because the whole season is so critical.

Of course, instead people will say because ther are so many one loss teams, this season proves we need a playoff system to determine a true national champion. I could not agree more. The BCS system works pretty well. If you go underdefeated (year I know about Hawaii), the odds are very high, you get to play the big game. If you loose a game, you have no reason to complain.

Even playoff systems, especially single elimination brackets, are not perfect in making sure the best team is the champion. That is not the goal.

The goal is simply to have a system, as fair as possible, that everyone understands, that produces a champion who earned it. It can't be perfect, but you cannot come up with a system that fosters a level of excitement better than college football.

Peb, on the whole I agree with you. One of the beauties of college football is that every game matters. Although early games matter less than late ones. LSU is ranked lower than several 2-loss teams they did or could beat, but their 2nd loss came at the end of the season.

As a Va Tech fan though, this would be a wonderfull year for a playoff from our perspective. The reason for this is that a playoff system rewards a team for playing well at the end of the season, and Va Tech has most definitely improved as a team over the course of the season. We are not the same team that LSU spanked or that BC squeaked by. I think we take BC in Jacksonville this weekend for the ACC Championship. Don't know if we would beat LSU, but I think we'd be in the game this time. Ah well, thats not the system we have.

College basketball is like that, and many of the early season games are almost throwaway games, where the coaches experiment with combinations, positions, etc, to find the best chemistry. All that matters is to make it to the tournament and be playing well at the end. Both approaches have their pros and cons.

Cheers,

Bobby

bamamick
11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
better to lose a few games along the line. In college football the difference between losing two games in a year and losing three or four is quite often the difference between continuing your employment or not.

Everyone wants a playoff system except for the presidents and chancellors. Must be some major bucks being spread about, because you know that if there were any way for them to make more with a playoff system we'd have one.

Mickey Lake

cs
11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I surely can't say much to David G's response about the PAC-10, being as TN did not take care of buisness in the PAC-10.

But I do want to say something and this is not necessarily for just here, I have seen this almost everywhere and with everyone I talk to.

There is so much talk about who is the best team in the nation. They talk about Georgia, they talk about LSU and they talk about Floridia. They talk about how LSU can beat any team in the country and that their 2 losses happened in triple overtime. I hear so much talk about how Georgia is the fourth ranked team in the country and playing better football than anyother team out there. And I'm sick of hearing how good Tim Tebow and Florida are.

Now I may have egg on my face after this weekend, but I will say it anyway.

The TN Volunteers are the SEC east winners and will be going to Atlanta to play LSU Saturday for the honor of being the SEC champions. They stand of a good chance of winning and if/when they do, TN will stand alone at the top of the SEC.

If Gerogia and Floridia had taken care of buisness they would have this chance. TN took care of buisness and played till the final buzzer and secured their chance of being champions.

Lesson learned from this season.

Play till final buzzer, because it ain't over till it's over.

Chad

Paul Pless
11-28-2007, 10:39 AM
The TN Volunteers are the SEC east winners and will be going to Atlanta to play LSU Saturday for the honor of being the SEC champions. They stand of a good chance of winning and if/when they do, TN will stand alone at the top of the SEC.Now, tell me again what it is you don't like about playoffs in college football.

cs
11-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I think college football needs a playoff system.

I don't really like the current BCS system even though it is better than before. Teams like Hawaii don't stand a chance despite doing everything in their power.

Chad

bamamick
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
We beat y'all like a drum (we just couldn't beat anyone else). No one knows who the best team is in college football this year and never will. You are right: right now teams like Tennessee and Virginia Tech are probably playing better than some of the teams that are more highly ranked, but this is the system we have. Whoever wins the crystal football will crow it to the moon forever and I don't blame them. This is what we've got and until it's changed we'll just have to live with it.

Two reasons they like it: money, and the fact that 16 teams get to finish their season on a win rather than just one team. Doesn't make sense to all of us but it makes sense to the people who count the money.

Mickey Lake

erster
12-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Chad find your decoder ring for this penalty, and 'splain it.:eek:

http://www.break.com/index/best-penalty-of-the-year.html