PDA

View Full Version : I wanna go sailing

Phillip Allen
11-25-2007, 09:17 AM
After my passport comes back (after Christmas). I want warm waters and swimming and enough off shore to be able to tell if I can get past my sea-sickness (I will clean up if I can't make it to the shrouds in time...I always have in the past.)

my experience is 3 months on a Morgan OI 41
much snorkeling (I fed the boat with a Hawawiian sling)
I understand scuba but am not certified (I was a submarine sailor and a fireman; I can use most any type of breating apparatus)
I'm a good story teller and can function in countries where I don't speak the language (I have done this in Brasil and Argentina)

I am able to make a fairly open ended commitment

I am highly mechanical but not deisel mechanical

I understand that if the skipper says "jump" I must inquire how high on the way up.

Phillip Allen
11-25-2007, 09:34 AM
They were virtual strangers...

Mrleft8
11-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Seems that someone down on the other side of the world was talking about moving their boat a fairly good distance, and needed crew.... Can't remember who it was though.... Not much work for a brick layer on a sail boat though....;)

S/V Laura Ellen
11-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I understand scuba but am not certified (I was a submarine sailor and a fireman; I can use most any type of breating apparatus)

Dangers of diving aren't overcome with an understanding of using a breathing apparatus. The issues that are important with scuba are the effects of pressure (depth related), exposure time and ascent rate.

Phillip Allen
11-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Dangers of diving aren't overcome with an understanding of using a breathing apparatus. The issues that are important with scuba are the effects of pressure (depth related), exposure time and ascent rate.

Yes, I am quite aware of that (I even helped with scuba classes once...there to get my own trainning at the same time. It was my job to watch the other greenies to prevent panic/drowning in the pool)

I had a falling out with the instructor and left without getting certified