PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2008

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-22-2007, 06:26 AM
A deathly hush settled on the land.

Hwyl
11-22-2007, 08:15 AM
If you're saying the Pound will go the way of the Drachma and the Escudo. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion, when i was in Gib a year ago the prices were rounded out in Euros, so that's the market speaking.

I've always thought the EEC was an awful thing for the U.K., but I think the common currency is a good thing (I changed my mind on this).

martin schulz
11-22-2007, 08:39 AM
http://www.leblogfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/euro2008.jpg

...I thought I should clarify that before others jump to wrong conclusions.

Hwyl
11-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks Martin

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-22-2007, 09:00 AM
If you're saying the Pound will go the way of the Drachma and the Escudo. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion, when i was in Gib a year ago the prices were rounded out in Euros, so that's the market speaking.

I've always thought the EEC was an awful thing for the U.K., but I think the common currency is a good thing (I changed my mind on this).

Yup, I bought a new jacket last weekend in Brecon (note to our off-shore readers - small town, middle of nowhere, good view of medium sized hills) the hang-tag price was in Euros - and the pound/euro exchange rate has barely moved.

martin schulz
11-22-2007, 10:29 AM
A deathly hush settled on the land.

Deathly hush indeed when even old pensioners with lucrative retirement payments are reactivated to help out.

John B
11-22-2007, 12:10 PM
I thought this'd be a currency thread too. Then I saw Martin as last poster and thought it'd be about volkswagens. But its not is it. Not how vw got its bonnet, or money. football.

Hans Friedel
11-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Ho Ho

Maybe you can ask Svennis (nicely) to come back :)

Hans

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Bargain Shirts? (http://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag_4_5/football/product_details.aspx?pid=41891&bid=14&mid=34)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Just received this via email:

TRIBUTES are being paid to Scotland this morning after the entire country laughed itself to death.

The alarm was first raised at around 10pm last night as thousands of phone calls and text messages went unanswered.

Small groups of volunteers from Berwick-Upon-Tweed and Carlisle ventured north just after midnight only to find houses full of dead people gathered around still blaring television sets.

By dawn, as RAF helicopters flew over deserted city streets, it was clear that the whole country had suffered a catastrophic abdominal rupture.
Wayne Hayes, a special constable from Northumberland, said: "We went into one house in Dunbar and found three men sitting on the sofa with huge smiles on their faces, still holding cans of 70 shilling. They seemed to be at peace."

He added: "In a house near Edinburgh we found a man face down on the living room floor with his trousers and pants round his knees.

"It seems he may have been showing his bare buttocks to the television when he keeled over."

Roy Hobbs, a civil engineer from Northampton, said: "I got a call from my friend Ian in Stirling at about 9.50pm.
"He was already laughing when I answered the phone, but after about 25 minutes of the most vigorous and uncontrollable hilarity, everything suddenly went very quiet."

Moving tributes are already being placed along the Scotland-England border with many mourners opting to leave a simple bag of chips or a deep fried bunch of flowers.

coelacanth2
11-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Oops, I'm afraid I'm not getting it. Too much turkey(one is what one eats) and my brain ain't functioning. Do please explain...:confused:

Hwyl
11-22-2007, 07:37 PM
somewhat of an explanation (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7106952.stm)

martin schulz
11-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Funny idea though:

Meanwhile, Franz Beckenbauer has urged England to appoint former Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann.

Beckenbauer says Klinsmann, 43, has the right credentials having guided Germany to the semi-finals in the 2006 World Cup and played with Tottenham.

"The job would be ideal for him and England as well," Beckenbauer said.

"Jurgen has very clear ideas who can enforce them. He knows what he wants, he speaks very good English and would revel in the England job."

German football icon Beckenbauer, captain and coach of the teams that won the World Cup in 1974 and 1990, believes Klinsmann would not be afraid to shake things up within the England set-up.

Writing in his weekly column for Bild, he said: "Who can lead the boys with the three lions out of their coma? One name comes immediately to mind. Jurgen Klinsmann.

"He'd have three years until the 2010 World Cup to form a new team and he wouldn't have to worry about old baggage.

"Jurgen would be a new beginning for England. He is looking for a role in a country with a great tradition and appetite for football.

"He is a man with a clear vision and knows how to implement that vision even against resistance. I could well imagine England getting a fresh start with him.

"He speaks the language, has a great reputation there thanks to his time at Tottenham and was even footballer of the year."

Klinsmann took charge of Germany after they were again humiliated at Euro 2004 with a first-round exit.

He revamped and modernised the German FA (DFB), leading Germany to a surprising third place at the 2006 World Cup.

But a potential stumbling is Klinsmann's likely insistence that the FA would allow him the leeway the DFB did to coach Germany.

Klinsmann resisted pressure to abandon his home in southern California, watching matches on television and communicating with players via phone and email.

Most members of Germany's football establishment accepted the commuting but criticism of Klinsmann's approach invariably emerged when the German team performed poorly in the run-up to the 2006 World Cup.

But Manchester City's German midfielder Dietmar Hamann questioned whether the English public would accept Klinsmann as their new coach.

"Would the English people like a German to be in charge of their national team? It is an interesting one."