PDA

View Full Version : Kumho or Toyo car tires

JimD
11-20-2007, 04:28 PM
They any good? Quality difference? We can 'save' about $150 on a set of Kumhos.

The Bigfella
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Depends .........

What do you want the tyre to do.

I have some of Kumho's performance tyres on the M5 - and I found them to be quite good - but like most major manufacturers they make a wide range of tyres.

I'm a firm believer in the old Bell Helmets philosophy - if you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet. Tyres are a critical safety component - and that comes into play in low grip and emergency braking situations.

Check out where Kumho rate the tyres on their website - economy or performance (read safety)

JimD
11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
The tires are for a Mazda Protege which is driven on paved roads in what is often a very wet environment. Hydroplaning can be a serious problem on some stretches of our hiways.

The Bigfella
11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
The ones I've got on the Bimmer are Kumho Ecsta Supra in 235/45/17. I've been very impressed with their wet grip on the road. I can't comment on how long they will last, as I've used them on the track, which is extremely prejudicial to tyre life.

Ross M
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Jim

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho/kumho.jsp

Nearly every manufacturer has some great tires and some not so good tires. The link above is, AFAIK, the very best place to get information on the matter.

If you mention the model and size, I can help you locate the relevant data.

BTW - many retailers will match the prices shown by Tire Rack if you take a print-out with you.

Ross

brad9798
11-20-2007, 06:21 PM
I've had Toyo on the 'vette. Wore well, handled great.

Not familiar with Kumho ... in fact, can we get scot'ed for saying that word?

JimD
11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
... can we get scot'ed for saying that word?

It depends which presidential candidate you're referring to when you say it.

JimD
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
We've decided to go for the Toyos. Thanks for the advice.