PDA

View Full Version : need ideas for records search (taxes)

Phillip Allen
11-16-2007, 05:41 AM
I recieved notice yesterday that the state of Arkansas wants me to give them some of the money they think I have. 2004 taxes aren't on their records and I have to prove that I don't owe them over 2K. The fire has made any records I may have had out of reach here so I have to crawl through other sources...any ideas?

I have one week to prove my case before I recieve notice of proposed assessment according to the letter.

Phillip (Job)

Ron Williamson
11-16-2007, 06:31 AM
You mean income tax, not property tax, I assume.
Wouldn't the IRS have that kind of record?
My provincial tax and federal tax are calculated on one tax return.

How could they want tax for which THEY have no record?
2004 wasn't that long ago.
It smells funny to me.
R

Uncle Duke
11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
My provincial tax and federal tax are calculated on one tax return.
Nah - that would be way too efficient for us. Here they are 2 different forms. There is some relationship, in that you can transfer some numbers from the federal form to the state, but the calculations are usually different and they get sent to different places.

Phillip - I guess no chance that you used tax software and did electronic filing? If so, I think that the tax software people are required to keep records about transmission/receipt to the tax service (but not records about what was actually sent) - that might help show something.

Bruce Hooke
11-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Unless you paid someone to do your taxes, I think you basically have two sources: your records and the state. If you filed a tax return, the state certainly should have a copy. If you think you filed a return and they claim you did not then I think your only recourse is your own records, with one caveat. You should be able to use bank records to at least prove that you paid a certain amount to the state with your tax return (or received a refund), either of which ought to prove that you filed an income tax return.

Phillip Allen
11-16-2007, 09:18 AM
It is entirely possible I didn't file...I always file federal and when I see that the state owes me a refund I get lazy...NEVER would I fail to file if I owed the state. It follows then that the state has looked at the federal return and based their "bill" on the notion that none was with held by my various employers...ridiculous! They are trying to double dip. I'll have to go through VERY disagreeable searching and then the state will refund the (probably) $100 they owe me and think they have taught me a lesson and move on to the next victim...

Guilty until proven innocent again…I hate these things

Lucky I just went through this sort of stupidity with Countrywide...I'm ready for this this time

I find it suspicious that this comes on the heels of my recieving the insurance money for my house...hmmm

John of Phoenix
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
The timing is a bit suspicious. And one week? What is with this Gestapo crap?

I had hoped that your birthday would mark the passage of "The Year of Your Miseries". Hopefully this is just a residual. Good luck.

Phillip Allen
11-16-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not too concerned about it...I've already contacted my employer for the bulk of that year and he is having his office do a search for the proper documents

George Roberts
11-16-2007, 06:31 PM
If you paid with a check, your bank may have a copy of your records.

Phillip Allen
11-16-2007, 07:15 PM
If you paid with a check, your bank may have a copy of your records.

I don't pay with a check, I pay with W-2's ...which is automatically withheld

ishmael
11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Um.

"2004 taxes aren't on their records and I have to prove that I don't owe them over 2K."

If they don't have records what are they basing their assessment on?

I had an issue when I moved from MA to Maine, but you haven't moved. I assume you've filed the appropriate documents with the feds. and even if you haven't, someone has, so the state revenuers have them too. When in a dispute I sent the state a copy of my federal tax statement, and in return they left me alone--for now.

Good luck, I hate this shyte.

Phillip Allen
11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
they looked up my federal return for that year and took the total income and figured tax on it and didn't look to see how much was with held by my employer(s)...double dipping

Vince Brennan
11-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Employers should have copies of the W2's in their files... if not, the withheld taxes will definitely show in their financial records.

I just got a lovenote from Philadelphia that they didn't have my 2005 business taxes on file and I should send them a copy or be faced with immediate castration. Third time. The inefficiency of bureaucracy is breathtaking.

Good luck fighting the vampires.

ishmael
11-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Phillip,

My taxes the last few years have been so simple that I haven't needed a tax accountant, but in this situation, especially if you are sure the state is wrong but in either case, it might be worth shelling out some bucks for a good accountant to go over your records. See what they come up with. It might bring some peace of mind, and help you sleep at night. LOL.

I don't like the way the game is played these days, and wish we'd come up with a better way to tax that doesn't require professionals who know the ropes, but it's just the way of things. You don't bring a knife to a gunfight, as they say.

P.S. Maybe it's just a clerical error and no fight is needed, but having your side documented and perused by a pro would help in a dispute. Lord, brother, you've had a dark cloud following you lately. Here's hoping this is an end to it!

George Roberts
11-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I guess it is time to call up the AG and have him talk to the tax people.

Phillip Allen
11-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I guess it is time to call up the AG and have him talk to the tax people.

Not me George...he's attached to the public tit

brad9798
11-17-2007, 10:18 AM
One week? the only time that happens here is when they have been asking for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ...

I have always had good luck with IRS when I simply call them ... and treat them nicely.

Phillip Allen
11-17-2007, 10:19 AM
One week? the only time that happens here is when they have been asking for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ...

I have always had good luck with IRS when I simply call them ... and treat them nicely.

Not the IRS...Arkansas State money grabbers!

brad9798
11-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Oooooh, I see ... my fault. State is different story altogether.