View Full Version : What is the most interesting thing you have found on the beach.

11-15-2007, 11:32 AM

I was wondering, with the vast experience of beach combing that this group must have some exciting and strange things must have been discovered on the beach.
I haven't found anything like an airplane but I did find a life jack with $20 in it.

11-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Young pretty things? :-)

John Bertenshaw
11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Amazing find.. reminds me of that video/ad we had a link to here some time ago.. the one where the sea 'threw' back everything man made.

11-15-2007, 01:01 PM
We found the horizontal stabilizer of a small plane. This was on Plum Island, Ipswitch, Massachusetts.

Ron Joslin
11-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Letter in a bottle:Aanna Mari Isl FL - "Famly fishing from Skyway bridge"

Loads of U.S Navy cots & Medical stuff: South of Cape Canevral FL

Bent up metal (bronze ?) could be a thing to hang clothes on on a ship, had screw plate like the hooks for the back of a door: Denmark,
I liked it so much it is now my toilet paper holder in the upstairs bathroom.

Long section of big link anchor chain: Ft Pierce FL , way to heavy to carry.

11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
a mastadon ankle bone.

John B
11-15-2007, 02:12 PM
There was this mummified dolphin we found at anita bay... man I was looking for a way to have that home but nup. no go. The scurvy dogs mutinied on me.

planks, knives, pegs,hats,a boar jawbone , a kiwi skull and beak, some good building timber, pegs,more hats, fishing rod, oars( mismatched), a dinghy,hundreds of left shoes, pegs, hats....

ooo! a wrought iron tiller from something big and old, artifact at home now. a giant chainplate of something big and old.artifact at home.

11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
There is an old model T down there that shows itself now and again.

John B
11-15-2007, 02:19 PM
There's a couple of engine blocks on beehive island ( small island), and you know what that means.
and this late 1800's steamer on another

11-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Cray pot (with Cray!), rod and reel, 6'0" gaff with nice stainless head, many, many cray pot floats, thongs, sandshoes etc, a side cover from a Yamaha motorcycle( I was 5km for shore), f/glass paddle ski thing, milk crates, the odd naked sunbather, buckets, shelf unit from galley, lots of bits of interesting old boat timbers,albatross skull, turtle skull, lots of usable timber and enough fishing tackle to keep me happy for ages!

11-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Also I found an old bronze oarlock on the beach in Michigan right after the ice melted (tends to bring things to the surface).
Weird oarlock though, its like 3 -4 times the size of a normal WC oarlock, but still proportional.

11-15-2007, 03:26 PM
We used to find interesting critters along the beach at Bear Cut (Miami) which fronted the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, for example, a still living Ocean Sunfish (genus Ranzania as I recall), a beautiful pelagic octopus, alive (Tremoctopus violacea). My son and I were snorkling along the beach near our house and I spotted what looked like a dollar bill on the bottom. Son beat me to it, a $50 bill! He also found a gold bracelet in the sand. Found a beautiful Van Den Burgh gin bottle back in the mangroves, circa 1820, a square "case" bottle, black, the type that was hand blown in a wooden mold, with applied blob Van Den Burgh seal. Found good sheeps wool type sponges up in the mangrove roots down in the Keys, also lots of good boat building wood, assorted glass net floats, some over a foot in diameter, ect. Lots of good stuff!

The Bigfella
11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
A body, unfortunately. Got out of bed one sunny morning, looked out the window and said to my wife - "looks like they've driven another car into the water - pass me the binocs please ....... uh oh ....."

It turned out to be a woman in her 60's (at a guess) ..... fully clothed. Cops said "did she slip off the rocks, or did she walk in ..... we'll never know"

Have also found bits of broken up yachts on the beach at Coffs Harbour as a kid - I can recall a plywood one quite well - nothing more than 3' square though.

Geez - thanks for the cheery memories.....

John B
11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
There was a nasty little case ( mmmph, unintended pun) here a year or so ago when some overseas students decided to ransom and knock off one of their mates. So they did that ,popped him in a suitcase and chucked him off a wharf in town. dipsticks.
A passing boaty stopped within a few hours and picked up the suitcase only get a bit of a surprise.

Like it wasn't Armani. Armsandlegs more like.

My kids get all goggle eyed over that one because they know very well that if we saw it we would have picked it up too.

The Bigfella
11-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Geez - you Kiwis .......

The body I found was in Auckland too.

John B
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM

one of about 30 articles.

where was yours.. in the tamaki river?

11-15-2007, 04:16 PM
A duck decoy on a beach on the Mississippi.

I did find 1,100 bucks in a bathroom one time ... probably drug money the way it looked/smelled.

Spent the same, though!

11-15-2007, 04:23 PM
83 pieces of 8 in a loose lump near Melbourne Fla., a beautiful 1741 ornate silver dish and a dozen pillar dollars marked 1738, 1739 and 1740 near Jamaica, several cubic yards of Mary Jane in a former fishing boat (cuban) named the Oro Verde, a 2 1/8th carat diamond ring just north of Cape May New Joisey, a ships decanter, hand blown with stopper with glass seal marked "New Bedford Whaling Co. 1853 in an old basement near Boston and an empty pepsi bottle, made in Russia, sitting upright on a rock ledge off Tarpon Alley on Grand Cayman...at about 235 feet........,a Walther P-38 made in 1944, with magazine, loaded, and a spare mag, wrapped in oiled towel or whatever, inside the first aid kit on an old German U-boat that sits about 45 miles out of Atlantic City, all the other soooovineeers had left long ago, no one wanted an old first aid kit.

11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Oh yea, I found an expensive diving watch and a 35mm camera SLR with lenses in a case. Put an ad in the local paper lost&found for the camera. No response, so I sold it on Ebay.

The Bigfella
11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Nice collection there Chuck ... but you're cheating .... ON the beach mate! We'll forgive you though.

where was yours.. in the tamaki river?

Mellons Bay - we rented the pole house just behind the car park area for a couple of years - view was beautiful out to Waiheke Island. Entry to our place was via Page Point.

Chris Coose
11-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Me and dad found a drownd guy washed up one night when we went striper fishing on Plumb Island.

David G
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Growing up surfing, boating, etc. on the N. Coast of Oregon resulted in some interesting finds.

1. By far the best find was a surfboard when I was 17... which led to finding the boards owner... which led to a wonderful summer romance with a grateful, lovely, lively California surfer girl.

2. Large chunks of whale blubber after an explosion... the highway department's idea of how to remove a large dead whale

3. Chunk of styrofoam approx. 3' X 8' X 10' - which became a float/plaything for the whole crew of surfers at Indian Beach that summer.

4. Freshly-dead Sea Lion. I was maybe 10 years old. Pypo-boarding a lonely stretch of beach near the mouth of the Columbia River. Didn't fully appreciate how big they were until I stood right next to that one.

5. A mess of perch which had been left stranded by the tide. Roasted over a campfire that night, they were delicious

6. Lots of glass balls, ranging from about 2" up to about 18"

7. Many lessons in humility and self-confidence - and a huge appreciation for the natural world.

11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh yea...and a dead Pacific Giant Octopus about 5' long.
They really do have a parrot-like beak.

Phillip Allen
11-15-2007, 04:39 PM
200 pound Danforth and 30 feet of heavy chain and 300 feet of 1" nylon rode...all brand new looking (pulled up on our own anchor in the DR

11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I found a human torso, no head, legs or arms, on the beach at Santa Cruz. It was more memorable than interesting.

11-15-2007, 04:47 PM
A railroad tankcar!

Actually I didn't find it, but it washed up on the beach about 2 miles north of my fiance's parents house on the Chesapeake Bay. Their house was between the Bay Bridge tunnel and Lynhaven Inlet on the Va Beach side. Apparently, the tankcar fell off a barge during a storm, the trucks immediately fell off, and the empty tank float down the bay until it washed up on the beach. I was surprised that it stayed on the beach for many months before someone got around to getting it off. I first saw it around Thanksgiving and it was still there late spring the next year. This was probably 1981 or '82.

11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
I dont consider it "finding" but there was an old abandoned steel tug that broke loose in Seattle or Tacoma and washed up here on the island.

Nicholas Carey
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
A family found this last July on the beach in North Wales

From her serial numbers, her pilot, 2n Lt Robert Elliot ditched her on 27 Sep 1942.

Milo Christensen
11-15-2007, 06:50 PM
It wasn't on the beach, but at the bottom of a gravel pit we used to swim in we found a bright red Porsche.

Three Cedars
11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
A set of moose antlers.

11-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Quite a while ago I found a bikini clad lass I decided to keep as a play toy as I couldn't sell her, took her home, and she wasn't afraid of the damn cat and the cat liked her, followed her around like a little puppy dog, so I kept her........and the cat, both kept me warm on chilly nights during the rainy season......

Bob Adams
11-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Quite a while ago I found a bikini clad lass I decided to keep as a play toy as I couldn't sell her, took her home, and she wasn't afraid of the damn cat and the cat liked her, followed her around like a little puppy dog, so I kept her........and the cat, both kept me warm on chilly nights during the rainy season......

Chuck, when ARE you going to write that book?

Steve Paskey
11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
A stone spear point about 3 inches across (probably ceremonial, I was told), found whilst paddling a sit-on-top kayak along the shore of the Chesapeake just north of Tilghman Island. That was four years ago, but darned if I know where it is now.

11-16-2007, 11:11 AM
A pile of Peices of 8 and bikini clad lasses?....Paladin is way out in front here, people.

I 'found' my share of bikini-clad(and some un-clad) lasses on beaches, too :) Yum.

I also 'found' a wooden 30+ sloop not long ago washed up here in Monterey. Sadly, the idiot didn't set proper anchor during some high on shore winds. The Marine Sanctuary officials decided to drag the boat with a tractor out of the surf and up the beach to avoid any potential oil/fuel spills. Wrecked a beautiful craft. Also seen plastic snot boats dragged on-shore, but hey, I can't get too worked up about them. Expendable.

Vince Brennan
11-16-2007, 11:15 AM
SWMBO. Jeckyll Island 1990 at midnight 12/31.