X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rational Root
    Become By Doing
    • Oct 2006

For those who doubt evolution....

Again and again the argument is used that we were not there in the time of the big reptile thingies....

So for those who do not believe in evolution, please explain where the antibiotic resistant bacteria came from.

Evolution can be seen over time spans as short ac decades, you simply need a living creature with a short reproductive cycle.

Then please note that bacteria have DNA.

Please note also that we have DNA.

Please stop using the argument that we were not around in the time of the big lizard thingies as an argument against evolution.
    Hey ! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
  • JimD
    Senior Mumbler
    • Feb 2002

Re: For those who doubt evolution....

Here's some dna for ya

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• Fitz
      Wood Canoe Nut
      • Mar 2001

There was a 2 hour NOVA program on last night that tackled the federal Intelligent Design trial from a couple of years ago. It tried to present both sides of the argument. Interesting and worth watching if you can catch it.

Actually, I guess you can watch it on line:

"Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Comment

• Honda_Shadow
        • Apr 2006

You're using the fact that living organisms develop immunities to support evolution?

He he...
        He he Ha ha
        BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose..."
        -Jim Elliot

Comment

• ssor
          • Jan 2005

And you use what to support creationism?

Comment

• BrianW
            not your average member
            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Honda_Shadow
            You're using the fact that living organisms develop immunities to support evolution?

He he...
            He he Ha ha
            Ya mean like a flu shot?
            “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• BrianW
              not your average member
              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by ssor
              And you use what to support creationism?
              Well, nobody has ever explained where the matter, or the energy, or the 'singularity', which produced the very first 'big bang' has come from. So in fact, evolution and creation are both based on faith.
              “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• BrianW
                not your average member
                • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
                I don't know how the universe got started, how the first life forms appeared, how speciation occurred... these are all great topics for research, and worthy of curiosity, but WHY do we assign so much importance to the answers?
                I agree, it's all worth studying, I'd never recommend we stop searching for answers.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
                  obnoxiously persistent.
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
                  ...., but WHY do we assign so much importance to the answers?
                  Because "by their answers shall ye know them" - thus are the evil intention'd bar-stewards of the other group recognised, so that they may be burnt at the steak.

Have a nice day.
                  I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Popeye
                    speedo
                    • Jun 2003

my bbq is out of gas

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                      • Apr 1999

The mystery of creation - for those who reject the advanced physics of contemporary cosmology - is not an argument against evolutionary science.

Perhaps the ultimate retreat of the ID crowd will be that the initial design of the simplest carbon based life-form was so intelligently handled that it could from there evolve into increasingly complex organisms.

But it really seems to me that intelligent design would get a better boost if it could point to an example of some planning agency that by its own design or initiative acts on organisms to solve survival problems, or perhaps that acts to the detriment of certain organisms with the design of profiting others. In short, where's the designer and what's the evidence that he she or it is intelligent?

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Popeye
                        my bbq is out of gas
                        Mine too, tried to make ribs the other night and had to use my Gas broiler in the house

Comment

• Brian Palmer
                          Amateur wood butcher
                          • Sep 2003

He he...
                          He he Ha ha
                          Oh, brother. Go take a couple of college level immunology and genetics courses, will ya!

Antibiotic resistant bacteria are not developing immunity, they are developing drug resistance. An individual organism can develop immunity if it has an immune system. Bacteria do not. Humans do.

Bacteria species, but not individual organisms, "develop" drug resistance because some of them are naturally drug resistant, at some level, because of random genetic mutations. If you expose them to antibiotics, and you don't kill them all (usually because people stop taking their pills after they feel better, instead of finishing the whole course prescribed by their doctor), some of those with natural resistance survive. Repeat this cycle enough times and you have "naturally" selected for bacteria that are fully resistant to the antibiotic. Evolution in action.

--Brian
                          B.S. Biology
                          M.S. Ecology

Comment

• Rational Root
                            Become By Doing
                            • Oct 2006

No, I'm using the fact pretty penicillin resistance has evolved in bacteria in the time frame of decades, has been documented and followed and is pretty much accepted by the entire medical community.

Some random variation in some bacteria made it more resistant to penicillin. Overuse of Penicillin kills off the other bacteria, and the one that is resistant gets to thrive in the absense of competition. And other bacteria get the resistant gene through dna swapping.

AKA evolution.

Do please explain how you believe penicillin resistance has become common place. Do you think that they just learned it from their parents ?

Or do you think that DNA is rubbish too ?

Your ball.

D

He he...
                            He he Ha ha
                            Hey ! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !

Comment

• ahp
                              • Jan 2001

The Big Bang originated from a singularity created by a grad student in another universe. He was getting even with the thesis review panel for rejecting his thesis advancing intelligent design.

Comment

Working...