PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Maxtor Basics 500G disc?

Tylerdurden
11-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Seagate hard drives turn into spy machines

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/12/seagate-hard-drives-turn-spy

Kaa
11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Interesting vector of attack. I strongly doubt it's the Chinese government, though.

Kaa

Tylerdurden
11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Interesting vector of attack. I strongly doubt it's the Chinese government, though.

Kaa

If you caught wind of the situation with military chips you might think different. Apparently there is some serious sabotage going on.
I even read a blurb about it in a defense industry rag a month or two ago. Pretty common knowledge.
I would love to get Chucks take on this.

Kaa
11-13-2007, 01:05 PM
If you caught wind of the situation with military chips you might think different. Apparently there is some serious sabotage going on.

Trojaned chips are different. They certainly exist -- I think the US bragged at some point about trojaning chips in copiers sold to Iraq (when it was still under Saddam) -- but the case here is not about them.

This one is an inventive but low-grade attack where someone just added a trojan to the preinstalled software on the disk. Simply having auto-run off (which is should be the DEFAULT setting, you idiots at Microsoft) will defeat it. Reformatting the disk will kill it. Not really up to cloak-and-dagger standards, not at all :-)

Kaa

George Roberts
11-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I believe hard drives need to be formatted before they can be used - destroying both the autorun and ghost software.

Tylerdurden
11-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Trojaned chips are different. They certainly exist -- I think the US bragged at some point about trojaning chips in copiers sold to Iraq (when it was still under Saddam) -- but the case here is not about them.

This one is an inventive but low-grade attack where someone just added a trojan to the preinstalled software on the disk. Simply having auto-run off (which is should be the DEFAULT setting, you idiots at Microsoft) will defeat it. Reformatting the disk will kill it. Not really up to cloak-and-dagger standards, not at all :-)

Kaa

Yes but we a dealing with a very incompetent admin and lazy always wins. In espionage the simplest is usually the most fruitful.
Cast a wide net and sift through what you catch. Its not the mission impossible stuff that wins wars most of the time.

Kaa
11-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Cast a wide net and sift through what you catch.

Yep, that's what the NSA and the equivalent agencies in other countries do.

But the NSA doesn't put trojans on a couple of hundreds of hard disks -- that's a ridiculously small-fry operation by their scale (not to mention way too active for their taste).

You seem to be no friend of Occam and his razor :-)

Kaa

Tylerdurden
11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I get what you are saying, I am looking at the trend. Thats bears watching.