PDA

View Full Version : Almost a Darwin Award

Ian McColgin
11-13-2007, 05:35 AM
MAN HURT USING GUN TO CHANGE TYRE

A US man has injured himself in both legs after attempting to loosen a stiff wheel-nut by blasting it with his gun.

The 66-year-old man from Washington state was repairing his car outside his home when the accident took place.

Shooting at the wheel from arm's length with his 12-gauge shotgun, he was peppered with buckshot and debris.

The man - who police say was on his own and not intoxicated - was taken to hospital with severe, but not life-threatening, injuries.

The man, from South Kitsap, 10 miles (16km) southwest of Seattle, had been repairing his Lincoln Continental for two weeks, according to the police, and had removed all but one of the nuts on the right rear wheel.

Frustrated by the one remaining nut which refused to budge, he resorted to fire power in an effort to shift it.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," said Deputy Scott Wilson, a spokesman from the sheriff's office.

He sustained injuries from his feet to the middle of his abdomen, with some pellets reaching as high as his chin, police said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/7091904.stm

Published: 2007/11/13 00:55:30 GMT

BBC MMVII

JimD
11-13-2007, 05:46 AM
I think I read about his cousin Elmer in the obits who was having trouble loosening a clamp on his gas line.

Bill R
11-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Dumbass.

Makes you wonder sometimes how humans as a species have managed survive for as long as we have...

Tristan
11-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Seems like a 4' pipe on the wrench handle might have been a better idea. That nut would have come off or the lug would have snapped and then could be driven out and replaced with a new one. Guess if I'd have been that pissed off I'd have shot into the side of the damn car and kilt the S.O.B, not just shot the wheel!

Nicholas Carey
11-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Gives new meaning to the term "impact wrench" :D

Vince Brennan
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
And they VOTE! No wonder we're in such a mess.

paladin
11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
How stupid! Everyone knows that 8 inches of primacord wrapped around the nut is safer and faster.

S/V Laura Ellen
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
How stupid! Everyone knows that 8 inches of primacord wrapped around the nut is safer and faster.

To remove the lug nut or the axle?

BETTY-B
11-14-2007, 03:06 AM
But did he get it loose though? Does he care anymore? I'm wondering if there's a classic Lincoln available for cheap. "A few holes... Cheap..."
DAN

Phillip Allen
11-14-2007, 07:41 AM
I wonder what he does for a living and if he is paid better than I am?

David G
11-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't care where you're from, we here in the Pacific Northwest can proudly say, "We've got idiots to match any idiot you can put forward"

"Everything is funny, as long as it is happening to Someone Else" -- Will Rogers

TimH
11-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Ill bet the nut is still there :-)