View Full Version : From my cousin, Cindy's sister...

Tar Devil
11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Sister sunshine is still taking a nap...

She is now in day 11 post accident. So far she is not responding to any stimuli (when you poke her finger, she should pull it away, even slightly). She is posturing (stiffening of the whole body in waves) as well. There is still swelling of the brain stem, which is the center that controls awakening. The doctors hoped that she would at least be showing some response to stimuli by now. Every day that goes by, their faces look more full of pity and less full of promise.

The good news: He pneumonia is clearing and she is controlling her own breathing, although still being helped by the ventilator at the end of each breath (that is to add a little extra volume to the lungs to prevent problems). Her blood gasses are good, so her lungs are doing what they should be doing despite filling with Mexican food 11 days ago.

She had some air in her abdominal cavity which was concerning them because air in that space has to come from an abnormal opening of some kind: i.e. - GI tube that is displaced, spilling stomach contents into the abdomen (not good), or a ruptured ulcer in the stomach or colon spilling bowel contents into the abdomen (also not good). They were watching this air for a couple of days and decided it needed to be addressed when the lab tested some of the abdominal fluids and it showed bacteria. They took her in for surgery and found nothing to fix. (one small miracle we will take) They cleaned her up inside, and everything looks good now.

She had 2 plural effusions (fluid around the lungs) which makes it difficult to breath. They put in drains which kept that fluid off and finally removed them 2 days ago. That is looking good as well.

It is normal for there to be lots of little "fires" for them to put out at this stage.

Her brain pressures looked a little high again for a while, which they were not sure what to attribute that to. Could be the brain starting to swell up again with a delayed injury response, or a side effect of the abdominal issues. After fixing the abdomen and effusions, the pressures seemed to level off again. Enough that the neurosurgeon set the drain from her head to only drain when the pressure gets to 15. Her own body is now taking care of the problem on it's own, and the drain only helps when the pressure creeps up to 15.

This world of brain injury is a big unknown. We had hoped that she would be showing more signs when stimulated - but nothing is happening to the satisfaction of her doctors. Brittanie (her daughter) brought in a recording of Cindy's two grand babies and played it in her ear. She and Cindy's best friend were in the room with her, and both of them swore she was wiggling so much and pinching up her mouth and moving her eyes around - they thought that at any second she would throw open her eyes.

We are still praying for a miracle. Being a family of faith does not mean we are ignorant - We know the realities of this situation and are very aware that her chances at this point of a full recovery are slim. We know too that she is fighting hard. We can feel it when we are with her. And we know there are already things that they have seen that don't make sense - like her x-ray looked horrible, but her lungs sounded great. Her CAT scan of the brain doesn't look terrible, but she is not able to wake at all. They cannot explain everything, and will tell us that willingly. The brain is a mysterious entity of it's own. And miracles happen every day. They can't explain those either. And we know God is working in His time, not ours and not the doctors. We feel the strength He is giving us and we will deal with whatever this brings.

Our family has been in many, many hospital rooms. We've been told on several occasions to come say good-bye to our Mom, that she would not make it through the night. We took her home weeks later and she continued to raise her family, despite being a quadriplegic and having a multitude of other medical problems. We have been here before and are focused on the fact that this is Cindy's story and only she can tell us how it plays out. We will have to wait patiently, because this is not about us and our needs. And we know that Cindy comes from that flesh and blood that fights hard to be different than everyone else - to beat the odds.

Please, please continue your prayers for Cindy.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-12-2007, 08:39 PM
:( Prayers for her.

Greg P H
11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Blessed Be, Cindy

11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Very tough this one, she may very well be hearing things. Tak to her, tell her the news, chat amongst yourselves around her. My thoughts are with you and your family

Vince Brennan
11-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Healing to her, strength to the family.

Thank you for the update.

Memphis Mike
11-12-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry things are not going well for her Phil. I'm still thinking of you and your family. I hope it gets better.

11-13-2007, 01:47 AM
Praying for Cindy and blessings and strength for the family.

I believe that also the stimuli of her family being there, their touching and talking with her, telling of news, of their love etc will be of help...

11-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Prayers dude.

11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Prayers for strength for all involved.

- M

11-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Prayers sent and she is on the list in church. God Bless you and yours.

The Bigfella
11-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Best wishes again Phil.

11-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Having watched my daughter in her first weeks after a very serious stroke , I have some idea where you are . So all my love and best best wishes .