PDA

View Full Version : Spy Satellite Disarray

TMny
11-11-2007, 10:53 PM
A very fine article reviews problems with recently abandoned effort to develop new US spy satellite. I noted substantial parallels with the Coast Guard's difficulties upgrading their fleet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/washington/11satellite.html?_r=1&oref=slogin#step1

Failure to Launch Death of Spy Satellite Program
By PHILIP TAUBMAN Published: November 11, 2007

LeeG
11-12-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm just finishing the book about Curveball, where super duper satellite photos are used to support the existance of mobile bio-weapons trailers. Like Powell used to prove Scud missle launchers in '91.
All bs photos. This is a hell of an admission:

Asked about the recent problems with F.I.A. and other satellite programs, Senator Christopher S. Bond, Republican of Missouri and vice chairman of the Intelligence Committee, said, “It’s fair to say we have lost double-digit billions on satellite programs that weren’t effectively managed by the government.”

Maybe when the dems want to prove they're not "soft on defense" it results in an orgy of "defense".

Old Sailor
11-12-2007, 05:38 AM
We did better back in the 60's with the old photo systems like Corona. And we developed those by the seat of our pants.
Old Sailor

paladin
11-12-2007, 10:48 AM
and 15 years ago a bunch of ham radio operators designed and built a communications satellite, launched it in place of a commercial bird that wasn't ready, and it's still up there...fully functional....the most efficient communications satellite ever built at a cost of less than 10k, but of course the labor/engineering was all free, as was the launch expenses.