PDA

View Full Version : Who from the past

Bill R
11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
would you most like to have dinner and/or drinks with and why?

Famous- Ben Franklin. From reading his writings and historical accounts he just seems like a fascinating individual.

Not famous- My great great grandfather, William, and his wife Margaret. He was the original immigrant to this country in 1882. He was a carpenter. He met Maggie, a Welsh immigrant, and married her shortly thereafter. She died in childbirth after 7(?) children, and he never remarried- something almost unheard of in thise days.

SWMBO is a professional geneologist, and she has reconstructed much of their lives, but I would love to sit down and talk to them to fill in the blanks that just can't be pulled from documents.

botebum
11-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens
Would love to have a drink or two with the man. Would love to hear how witty he could be in casual conversation.

Doug

Paul Pless
11-11-2007, 06:18 PM
My grandfathers, both of them died young.

BrianW
11-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Myself. Man do have some advice for a younger me! :)

seanz
11-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Myself. Man do have some advice for a younger me! :)

Second that....but would we listen? :)

Historical figures? There's just too many I'd like to know more about.
Capt James Cook?
First on a long list.................

paladin
11-11-2007, 06:49 PM
General Stand Watie, last Confederate General to surrender and a distant relative,
Sir Francis Drake, a relative on Mom's side,
Quanah Parker, on dad's side,
and John Singleton Mosby, no relation as far as I know....'cause I think he was one cool dude.

Ian McColgin
11-11-2007, 06:50 PM
The great educator/populizer of just before WWII wrote a lovely book with his name right in the title - "Van Loon's Lives." It was enacted some years back on PBS. The set-up is that I think it was Erasmus has come into the Van Loon family and he can bring a couple of historical figures at a time to Sunday dinner. Like Emily Dickenson and Attila the Hun at one sitting!

Brilliant. Get it from your library or someplace.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Bernard Lyman.

http://www.clinkerbuilt.com/images/fp01s.jpg

brad9798
11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Thomas Jefferson
Ben Franklin
Mark Twain
Adolf Hitler
Albert King
August Busch, II (Budweiser fame)

... and many, many more literary figures ... :)

AMEN- Brian- MYSELF would be my first choice.

brad9798
11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Christopher Columbus Smith

Ian McColgin
11-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I’m happy to see Van Loon’s Lives available on Amazon and such. It’s probably in your library. Check out Van Loon in capsule at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrik_Willem_van_Loon

Like Will (and later Ariel) Durant, van Loon was a brilliant popular educator. They were widely read in the era when Americans still believed in self-improvement. For those who believe it even today, reading these sweeping works will be well rewarded. Not the least of the reward is the grace and clarity with which these people wrote.

G’luck

pcford
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Mark Twain,
Lewis & Clark
Ben Banneker
NG Herreshoff
Olin Stephens (can anyone arrange that?)
Fenwick Williams
George Washington (did he really give an invoice for $100 with $0.25 being for materials and $99.75 being for knowing what to do with them?)

I guess you are implying this....Mr. Stephens is still with us....and still active as I understand.

Vince Brennan
11-12-2007, 03:20 PM
General Eisenhower. Man, would he be astounded at the "military-industrial complex" and where it's gone since he died!

michigangeorge
11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
TO HELL WITH DINNER! Drinks with Jackie Gleason and Dean Martin - guys who knew how to enjoy life :-)

hokiefan
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
John Paul Jones
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Edison
Wilbur & Orville Wright
Ronny Van Zant

elf
11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Johannes and Klara together on vacation.

It's really hard to imagine bridging the time gap. Assumptions about gender and choice were so different with most of the people I'd like to be in the same space with.

I would enjoy seeing what Yehudi Menuhim makes of the current early music scene. I think he and Casals would immediately grasp it and jump right in. Not the young Casals, but the old man of the Marlboro festival. Some of those guys just needed permission to change.