PDA

View Full Version : Crosby Striper

seayou77
12-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Greetings, I have a 1952 Crosby Striper, under tarps awaiting my undivided attention. When last I had the time and desire I went about solving her malaise which came from the disolved bolts holding the chine blocks to the frame ends. The iron bolts gave up and this allowed the bottom to spread out. Add more cotton to seams the boat continued her spread. When she really got to leaking someone thought a 10d common galv, nail would help. So I pulled the garboards and the outermost plank at the chine. Replaced the frames in the bottom and replaced the chine blocks of white oak. Re-bolted frame ends to the blocks. At some point the chine itself was torn out. The bottom is carvel planked, to a hard chine which rises to the bow, I believe this is the dead rise.
So, I realise this approach is a bit coarse. My conern is that the shape may result in a unsatisfactory ride. Do I continue to rebuild by eye, or must I level up on a slab and get back to the drawingboard and loft the shape back into her.
Also. the decks were caulked teak. The cockpit is asking for plywood. Maybe teak over. I welcome some input or there may be a bit of a bonfire on the back forty. smile.gif Thanks, David

Ian McColgin
12-28-2003, 08:32 AM
I'll try to ask around about the striper, but I'll bet you'll be ok by eye so long as port and starboard resemble each other and so long as the changiong deadrise - it's a lot steeper at the bow and pretty flat at the stern - has a fair twist. Let your eye be like the water. The changing deadrise is like a screw moving from pushing the water aside to pushing it down. So long as the change feels constant to the water, the hull will flow cleanly. If you've a bit too much change at the start of that you'll create locally greater pressure on the hull and at the back of this sort of twist hump you'll have a partial vacuum.

As it were. This explanation will be as right, in the mind of a good NA, as Quickie's ideas on sailmaking are to Todd. Allow me to be metaphorical here.

Point is, I've seen some Stripers of this vintage and the bottoms to get to be a little different, boat to boat. Extreme deformity really hurts performance, but this is just a moderate speed boat, not the wing of an X15.

Glad you got to replacing the oak. Sometimes when iron has sat in oak a while, you've a darkening that's ok so long as the wood remains wet but turns to powder when the wood dries.

G'luck