Paul Pless
11-05-2007, 06:20 PM
#$%^)!^ Daylight Savings Time

this sucks

Joe (SoCal)
11-05-2007, 06:36 PM

this sucks

I agree I get a bad case of S.A.D around this time, but I found a cure 10 min in the tanning bed at my gym. ;) It helps me forget sailing at 9:00 pm in August. And I look good and tan ;)

glenallen
11-05-2007, 06:53 PM

this sucks

And this is the best it's going to be for a few months.
I'm looking forward to all those latitudinally challenged members who will be howling into cyberspace next February after they've been holed up somewhere in the north for four months.
It's fun watching them go crazy and then go sane again in the spring, year after year.

I keep telling them to move to Port Isabel, but hell, they're hard-headed, and they can't imagine living in a place that does not make you suffer in order to live there.
Once again, wake up people! It's never too late to get outta Black Rock. Head south before the snow flies! You don't want to be dumber than geese again do you?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Now that the dark season has set in, the bilge should heat up shortly..:D

Joe (SoCal)
11-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Now that the dark season has set in, the bilge should heat up shortly..:D

How's about a couple of photos of Dove :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p:D

Lew Barrett
11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Up here in the sort of way north (not the way way north of the Yukon) or.....Sitka.....this first work day of DST is psychologically one long day of toil. It is not a happy event. I solace myself by knowing that if we grit our teeth, starting December 21, the days will oh so slowly start getting longer again. But in truth, it's cold comfort.

The Bigfella
11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
but I found a cure 10 min in the tanning bed at my gym

Been a bit of negative publicity about those out here recently - after a 26 year old girl got a melanoma in one - and died.

John of Phoenix
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
We don't change time in Arizona. Someone figured out that all the daylight that was supposed to be saved was spent changing all the clocks twice a year so we don't bother with. ;)

My sincere condolences to the S.A.D. folks. Being from Manitoba, I remember the feeling.

glenallen
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM

this sucks

And this is the best it's going to be for a few months.
I'm looking forward to all those latitudinally challenged members who will be howling into cyberspace next February after they've been holed up somewhere in the north for four months.
It's fun watching them go crazy and then go sane again in the spring, year after year.

I keep telling them to move to Port Isabel, but hell, they're hard-headed, and they can't imagine living in a place that does not make you suffer in order to live there.
Once again, wake up people! It's never too late to get outta Black Rock.
Head south before the snow flies!
You don't want to be dumber than geese AGAIN do you?

Joe (SoCal)
11-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Been a bit of negative publicity about those out here recently - after a 26 year old girl got a melanoma in one - and died.

Good lookin corpse ;)

The Bigfella
11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Good lookin corpse ;)

There's better ways to go though

S/V Laura Ellen
11-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Don't blame me for this one, it was dubya's idea.

glenallen
11-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Good lookin corpse ;)

Damn, you're a man of few words and One meaning!
A realist poet! A pragmatist. Congratulations!
"Good lookin corpse" should at least be the title of a poem, if not a poem entire!

Bruce Hooke
11-05-2007, 07:27 PM

Moving to the southern United States may have its advantages to some (frankly, I much prefer living someplace where there are real seasons and where the summer is not so hot it just about melts you), but more daylight is not a good reason to pick up and move south, unless you go a lot further south than the continental U.S. or start further north than the continental U.S. The day length today here in Providence, RI was 10 hours and 13 minutes. In Port Isabell, TX it was 11 hours and 4 minutes -- so you get a whole extra 45 minutes of daylight. Big whoopty-do! :D Assuming a similar east-west location in the time zone, that means an extra 22 minutes of sunlight in the afternoon.

A more effective technique, if you like evening light, would be to move to the western edge of a time zone...

Nanoose
11-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I thought we were now OUT of daylight savings time....back to standard time. Whaddey miss?

John of Phoenix
11-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Think you know about the cyles of the days with the seasons? It's more complicated that you might think. Check this out...

Notice how the slope of the curves vary. Have you noticed that speed of change is faster in some seasons?
http://members.cox.net/bluemax44/Misc%20pics/Daylight%20graph.bmp

http://www.gaisma.com/en/

Here's another that allows a comparison. http://ptaff.ca/soleil/?lang=en_CA

John Bertenshaw
11-05-2007, 07:47 PM
's allways summer somewhere in the world eh.

oh yeah.

Bruce Hooke
11-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I thought we were now OUT of daylight savings time....back to standard time. Whaddey miss?

That's the point...sunset is now an hour earlier (in terms of clock time) in areas that just went off daylight savings time, and that is not making people happy!

glenallen
11-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Moving to the southern United States may have its advantages to some (frankly, I much prefer living someplace where there are real seasons and where the summer is not so hot it just about melts you), but more daylight is not a good reason to pick up and move south, unless you go a lot further south than the continental U.S. or start further north than the continental U.S. The day length today here in Providence, RI was 10 hours and 13 minutes. In Port Isabell, TX it was 11 hours and 4 minutes -- so you get a whole extra 45 minutes of daylight. Big whoopty-do! :D Assuming a similar east-west location in the time zone, that means an extra 22 minutes of sunlight in the afternoon.

A more effective technique, if you like evening light, would be to move to the western edge of a time zone...

You neglected to mention that the 45 extra minutes of daylight in Port Isabel was 55 degree air temperature, 5-10 winds, Margaritas and Hammocks and smoky-eyed tropical nymphs , whereas, north of the Red River temps are -30, winds 76 MPH, and the women are all buried in damn heavy clothes and boots and ice.

TimH
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
yep, gettin dark out as we speak....

Bruce Hooke
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
You neglected to mention that the 45 extra minutes of daylight in Port Isabel was 55 degree air temperature, 5-10 winds, Margaritas and Hammocks and smoky-eyed tropical nymphs , whereas, north of the Red River temps are -30, winds 76 MPH, and the women are all buried in damn heavy clothes and boots and ice.

I thought the topic of this thread was daylight savings time.

That said, you forgot to mention the interminable baking hot summers, the humidity that would make a frog wilt, the poor excuse for fall colors, the lack of snow for skiing and ice for iceboating... :D

No offense, but to me the idea of living in someplace like Texas would be a slightly refined version of hell. The furthest south I've lived is Kansas City, Missouri and that was too far south for my preferences. While I've enjoyed visiting places further south I have absolutely no desire to live there. I totally don't get why some people think that everyone would want to live in the climate and location they personally prefer...

willmarsh3
11-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Yep, first drive home from work in the dark. I think the DST should have lasted a couple more weeks.