PDA

View Full Version : How many people were killed in car accidents in the US last year ?

Rational Root
11-01-2007, 07:28 AM
More than were killed in 9/11 ?

If the same amount of time/effort and money was spent on car safety....

1) Noone would be killed in car accidents.

2) All cars would have in build speed limiters to prevent them going above 25 mph

3) You would have to pass 15 exams to renew your drivers licence.

4) There would be a watch list to prevent teenagers buying petrol.

Thoughts ?

George Roberts
11-01-2007, 07:36 AM
There is certainly some truth there.

Phillip Allen
11-01-2007, 07:43 AM
I've been pitching for the application of the same (generally) rules for driving cars as are applied to general aviation

Paul Pless
11-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Clearly cars should be banned in the United States; they are a much greater menace to society than say... handguns.

Tylerdurden
11-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I think the lack of decent mass transit in the US is a crime.
We need to rethink a lot of things about transportation here.

Tylerdurden
11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I've been pitching for the application of the same (generally) rules for driving cars as are applied to general aviation

Agreed, testing near the equivalent of Germany.

glenallen
11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
US traffic deaths run about 40,000+ PER YEAR.
Another 100,000 maimed for life.

Paul Pless
11-01-2007, 08:07 AM
We need to rethink a lot of things about transportation here.Perhaps the most sensible post I've ever come across from you Mark.;)

I agree 100%!

Tylerdurden
11-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Perhaps the most sensible post I've ever come across from you Mark.;)

I agree 100%!

I am not really nuts Paul, just severely twistedhttp://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/images/icons/icon12.gif

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM

To where are you going to transport this mass of people?

In times gone b we used to transport people - to "The Colonies" - just look at the damage that did to the world.

Tylerdurden
11-01-2007, 10:00 AM
To where are you going to transport this mass of people?

In times gone b we used to transport people - to "The Colonies" - just look at the damage that did to the world.

I think we will send them over your way for the great dental care.

Garrett Lowell
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
How many people die of medical and surgical complications each year? Clearly we need to ban medical procedures and surgery.

How many people die from choking to death on food each year? Clearly we must ban food and eating! An IV in every arm.

How many people drown in a bathtub each year?
Clearly we must force everyone to take only showers.

How many people die from falling each year? Clearly we must do something about ladders, steps and stairways, curbs, manholes, buses, etc. Nobody should be allowed to actually move or walk around-they could die!

How many infants die each year from SIDS? I say we ban babies.

How many women die each year during childbirth? We know how to fix that!

How many people die each year from disease? I say we ban all diseases!

How many people die from electrocution each year, accidental or on purpose? NO MORE ELECTRICITY!

Shall I go on? You know, I hear that the INTERNET can kill you! Go hide in a cave somewhere (in an avalanche proof place, now), don't eat, don't move, don't get sick, don't use electricity, don't go on the internet, don't get in a car. Above all, please don't procreate.

Joe (SoCal)
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
OK I have a personal pet peeve regarding the obsessive regulations of cars.

There has never been an object ever made that requires more societal, legal, and corporate obsessive control, than the auto.

When you look at it from afar it is simply an antiquated transportation method with 4 rubber wheels a internal combustion fossil fuel engine. Yet in order to use one of these antiques you have to over come and SUBMIT to everything that comes with being a licensed automobile driver.

Have you ever thought about what a car and a driver license requires.

First you have to be of a legal age depending on your state.
Then pass a written test. Thats OK I agree with that, but watch how it mounts up.
Then you have to pass a road test.
Then you have to pay fees
then you have to own a car, ahhh that requires a lot
Register ( Pay DOT ) the simple antiquated piece of equipment
License Plates ( Pay DOT )
Tax ( Pay DOT )
Inspect (Pay garage )
Insure ( Pay corporate entity )minimal insurance is required by law. In NY if you fall behind or do not pay your insurance company in a timely manner they can drop you. If they do and you are uninsured, your license will be revoked, you will be charged a per diem surcharge for the days you have not been insured even if you never moved the car.
Then you have follow all the rules of the road including all parking regulations and fees ( Pay Towns ) Seat belts, you are required by LAW in most states to HAVE TO WEAR THEM, what if I don't mind flying through the window and face planting into the road dead, I'm NOT ALLOWED to. If you do get a speeding ticket you pay for the ticket, you license gets a black mark, too many black marks and your PRIVILEGE to use an antique gets taken away. DONT EVEN talk about a DWI you might as well be on the FBI's 10 most wanted list, your life is officially Fooked if you get one of those. Then you insurance goes up ( Pay Corporation ) In some states after you pay your fines and insurance the state will SURCHARGE you additionally because you have helped to bring up the states insurance rates.

Then there are all the toll roads and bridges ( Pay State )
Gas and Gas taxes (Pay garage and State )

Finally your license is also an ID that becomes much more than a permit to dive an antique. I have personally J waked across a street in California and was asked for my drivers License for WALKING. The same request from cops when I was riding my BICYCLE. There are so many hooks that come with a car I wonder whether or not it's worth selling your soul just to dive an antique.

Imagine if the typical wooden rowboat had as many repercussions as a car?

Tylerdurden
11-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Crash kills drag racers (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1041804)

Fiery collision in North Attleboro closes I-95

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1041804

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/264f4930ff_crash11012007.jpg

TimH
11-01-2007, 10:28 AM
ya grow up watching Dukes of Hazzard and Speed Racer....
what do you expect?

Keith Wilson
11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Interesting chart:
Fatalities per billion Km driven:

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/07_23/times-graph_1.jpg

Phillip Allen
11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
OK I have a personal pet peeve regarding the obsessive regulations of cars.

There has never been an object ever made that requires more societal, legal, and corporate obsessive control, than the auto.

When you look at it from afar it is simply an antiquated transportation method with 4 rubber wheels a internal combustion fossil fuel engine. Yet in order to use one of these antiques you have to over come and SUBMIT to everything that comes with being a licensed automobile driver.

Have you ever thought about what a car and a driver license requires.

First you have to be of a legal age depending on your state.
Then pass a written test. Thats OK I agree with that, but watch how it mounts up.
Then you have to pass a road test.
Then you have to pay fees
then you have to own a car, ahhh that requires a lot
Register ( Pay DOT ) the simple antiquated piece of equipment
License Plates ( Pay DOT )
Tax ( Pay DOT )
Inspect (Pay garage )
Insure ( Pay corporate entity )minimal insurance is required by law. In NY if you fall behind or do not pay your insurance company in a timely manner they can drop you. If they do and you are uninsured, your license will be revoked, you will be charged a per diem surcharge for the days you have not been insured even if you never moved the car.
Then you have follow all the rules of the road including all parking regulations and fees ( Pay Towns ) Seat belts, you are required by LAW in most states to HAVE TO WEAR THEM, what if I don't mind flying through the window and face planting into the road dead, I'm NOT ALLOWED to. If you do get a speeding ticket you pay for the ticket, you license gets a black mark, too many black marks and your PRIVILEGE to use an antique gets taken away. DONT EVEN talk about a DWI you might as well be on the FBI's 10 most wanted list, your life is officially Fooked if you get one of those. Then you insurance goes up ( Pay Corporation ) In some states after you pay your fines and insurance the state will SURCHARGE you additionally because you have helped to bring up the states insurance rates.

Then there are all the toll roads and bridges ( Pay State )
Gas and Gas taxes (Pay garage and State )

Finally your license is also an ID that becomes much more than a permit to dive an antique. I have personally J waked across a street in California and was asked for my drivers License for WALKING. The same request from cops when I was riding my BICYCLE. There are so many hooks that come with a car I wonder whether or not it's worth selling your soul just to dive an antique.

Imagine if the typical wooden rowboat had as many repercussions as a car?

Joe...that comes from a tax and spend government. Find out what people will pay for and tax it...I promis you that sex would be taxed if the government can find a way to do it...PROMISE!

but for the topic here it is a seperate issue I think

Phillip Allen
11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Kieth, any way to corrilate that chart with age?

Keith Wilson
11-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Age of what? Average age of drivers?

rbgarr
11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
In times gone by we used to transport people - to "The Colonies" - just look at the damage that did to the world.

You can take Gareth back any time now and limit the damage to your neck of the woods. ;):D