PDA

View Full Version : Paint raising the filler?

Jeff Kelety
06-02-2002, 11:41 PM
Hi all -

Well, this year I'm doing the four coats of bright work and two coats of paint on the hull of Folkboat Nais all by meself. (I should buy stock in the sandpaper company.) Anyway, is it my imagination, or am I seeing that the filler over my rivets tends to raise after a coat of paint? I could swear I sanded them flush, but mostly they appear to raise up a bit. Could this happen with old filler or did I just miss it during sanding?

Thanks,
Jeff

wolfietuk
06-03-2002, 04:46 AM
soundw like a question for Mr.Cleek. My first thoughts are questions? How much is it raising them? What type of wood? What type of filler? ect.

Rick

Scott Rosen
06-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Are you using a hard sanding block? If not, you can very easily sand down the surrounding softer wood and leave the filler proud without even knowing it.

Noah
06-03-2002, 07:49 AM
Jeff, I feel like I have the same problem on my Folkboat. I'm using Interlux Surfacing putty for filler, and Kirby's #24 Red. After I'm all done sanding I feel like the hull is very fair. A couple of coats of paint later, and you can see each and every rivet hole.

I don't know how to help though...

Noah

Scott Rosen
06-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Not all surfacing compounds are good for filling countersunk fastener holes. Some of the one-part glazing compounds will shrink too much, or they are brittle or they will expand with moisture. If you want a perfectly fair surface, the two best ways to fill the holes are, in order of preference: 1. bungs; 2. epoxy/microballoon mixture.

If you are going to use the epoxy mixture, you may want to put a dab of wax on the screw head first, so the epoxy will be easier to remove at refastening time. It's not absolutely necessary though, because the microballoon/epoxy putty is pretty weak and easy to remove in any event.

Jeff Kelety
06-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Thanks, all. I'm using Pettit glazing compound and Z-Spar enamel. Not all the heads that are proud were filled by me, ie. they were filled with existing stuff (whatever that was). I did use a hard block to fair, but as Noah experienced, these appear to have flushed out again, something on the order of 1/64 to 1/32 an inch. Not much but definately noticealbe. Will check with local PT folks today and see what their take is.

jgk

[ 06-03-2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Kelety ]

Jeff Kelety
06-03-2002, 09:44 PM
Local OBG (old boat guy) says, "Yup, they'll raise, but should go away after sanding and final coat". We'll see.

jgk

Wild Wassa
06-06-2002, 02:43 PM
With the bumps that stand proud, reduce their height using a smaller hard block and sand the area with circles if you think you are going to damage the timber.

I would look at fine shaving as well, this will take extra care. You will need a (constantly) sharp chisel. I would try this first. Use only the chisel weight. A couple of touches with a soldering iron before shaving will get rid of the trouble makers.

The comment about shrinking, is variable, with my materials. Some shrink more than others. Give your material a good time to settle before shaving or sanding, otherwise, refilling. I expect to fill, refill, then do a touch up as well.

Warren.

[ 06-06-2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]