PDA

View Full Version : deer hunt...?

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
My neighbor asked me to get her a deer and I said I "might" but it turns out I don't want to enough to go to the trouble.

When my mother in law was living and I was still married to her daughter, she used to ask me to get her some squirrels (no head shots please...she liked eating the brains). I would always go get her a few and she was always very pleased...reward enough for me.

Now I keep thinking I ought to get that deer but I'm not sure I want to get out in the cold and dark to get to a stand...let alone the work once the trigger is pulled.

It would be a simple thing either way but I continue to vacillate...

All that and Iím bored too.

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2007, 07:44 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Beef_round_top_round_steak_in_package.jpg/800px-Beef_round_top_round_steak_in_package.jpg

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 07:47 PM
She is sorta Cajun Joe...I get real N.O. cookin here...especially when her mother in law visits!

seanz
10-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I continue to vacillate...

Well, don't over vacillate, you might clog the action.
:p

paladin
10-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Yup...I know that feeling. Not far from here I can get Moose and venison....and buffalo without all the muss and fuss, and when I owned the other property I stopped hunting even though the critters would sneak into the yard and eat the azaleas......dawg (brandi, the last cocker spaniel) was so fierce she would run like hell barking at them, and they would just stand there and continue eating. The bambi's weren't afraid of her either.....stopped fishing...'cause I could check the dudes radios and radar sets here locally (a tech from annapolis charged $75 and hour) and My freezer was full of rockfish, bluefish or crabs.....my feet or butt didn't get cold and freezing, wet or messy and the eatin' was good.

JimD
10-27-2007, 08:49 PM
... my mother in law... used to ask me to get her some squirrels (no head shots please...she liked eating the brains).

Among some primative mothers' in law it is believed that eating the brains of squirrels will imbue them with the squirrel's intelligence, making them smarter.

Paul Girouard
10-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Among some primative mothers' in law it is believed that eating the brains of squirrels will imbue them with the squirrel's intelligence, making them smarter.

Canadian legend / lore? :D

BrianW
10-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Dude,

Get in the woods and enjoy the experience. If you shoot a deer, that's just a bonus. I'm sure you'll not regret it, once you get out the door.

Ron Williamson
10-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Brain's right,especially if your neighbour would help with the dirty work.
R

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 06:31 AM
I suspect Brian is right...woke up with another strange dream this AM...in it were my mother (dead since '95), the ex girl friend who's been trying to extort money from me and, from 20 years ago, the woman I fell in love with and who I haven't seen since...still in love I guess...strange combination plus many other things from the distant past

Tylerdurden
10-28-2007, 06:36 AM
A friend of mine got up early one morning to go hunting. Cold rainy and miserable he wasn't too motivated. As he poured his coffee he looked out his back door to see a 6 point standing not 25 or 30 yds. from him in his backyard.
He propped the rifle on the kitchen table and shot right through the glass in the back door and dropped it.
Says it was the shortest hunt in history.
Of course it was a miracle his wife didn't divorce him and he was sure to replace the window that morning but what a way to hunt.

I was thinking of laying down some clover across the way from my door? My knees are not good in the cold and damp.