PDA

View Full Version : Gun thread

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I took the chrony with me yesterday and tested a lot of .22 ammo and then a couple of muzzleloaders.

.22…Bulk Remington, bulk Remington standard velocity, Russian steel cased standard velocity and 30 year old Remington high velocity…best for accuracy was undetermined but looked like it was between the Russian and old Remington. The old stuff is about 75fps faster than the “same” stuff bought this year…two 10 shot strings of each type. Also the old stuff is more consistent shot to shot. The main problem with the Russian is the cases occasionally stick requiring use of a range rod to clear the chamber. I don't know if it is the ammo or my extractor.

I still can’t get the old competition rifle shooting good…1800fps but saucer sized groups at 50 yards.

The .40 flint lock will tie the holes together and is blasting them out at 2100fps…also; the high priced (grey) English flints don’t work as well as my Arkansas chirt flints

Four hours at the range and only one idiot who showed up firing 7mm Weatherby ammo through a 300 rifle…sure is hard on the cases!

Hughman
10-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I found a Daisey BB gun at a yard sale for $5., and set up a 25' range in my shop. This thing is surprising me, I can place a quarter over a 10 shot group!

Whoda thought!

Paul Pless
10-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Four hours at the range and only one idiot who showed up firing 7mm Weatherby ammo through a 300 rifle…sure is hard on the cases!Yowzer!!! betcha that made an interesting racket and group as well

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Yowzer!!! betcha that made an interesting racket and group as well

Muzzle brake...the most atrcotious invention to infest gunshops the world over...VERY LOUD!

SaltyD from BC
10-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Muzzle brakes. I hate those guys.

A couple of years ago buddy sets up beside me at the rifle range. I was busy adjusting my scope and not paying close attention to him. All of I feel this huge concussion go through my body bounce off the wall to my right and back at me:confused:

I look over and instead of his forstock on the rest he's got his muzzle brake of his 338 win mag rested there - right opposite where I'm standing. :mad: I set him straight without having to say much! And he continued shooting with the barrel forward of the firing line as per rules. To accomplish this he moved the rest way forward and continued resting the muzzle brake. :rolleyes: No surprise, his groups were pie plate type accuracy at 100 yards but he seemed quite pleased with that so I didn't say anything...

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 03:02 PM
ain't it amazin what folks do not know!

SaltyD from BC
10-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Yes it is Phillip. Normally I like to help new shooters out and have had good experiences doing that. But magnum boy figured he knew it all so I let him be ;)

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 07:29 PM
that's kinda my approach too... :)

paladin
10-27-2007, 08:02 PM
The last time I was at the range in Quantico was 5 years ago just after Kazakhstan. I had my Browning and went through a couple of magazines just sorta slow and methodical at 35 meters.....and the rounds were about pie plate sized in the chest area. A feller with a secret service hairdo was next to me, sorta noted my non chalance and pulled out one of the new issue Barettas or whatever they are and procedeed with a two handed hold timed fire, brought the target back and had a very respectable patter (tight) over the heart....looked at me and smiled.......I sent the target back downrange, opened the briefcase and took out my High Standard with the quiet barrel, emptied it rapid fire downrange, brought the target back and had a pattern over the left eye that you could easily cover with a playing card.......the range officer, and old NCO just sorta looked at me and smiled.....but then he ususally did 'cause I always brought new toys with me when I visited

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 08:07 PM
let me know and, if it can be done, we'll go to the range and I'll let you embarras me all ya want

paladin
10-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Crap, Phillip.....I can't even lift the darn thing now. I have the conventional barrel that snaps on and off and the High Standard is heavier than the fully loaded Browning. I gave one of my nephews the monster that I carried in Alaska, the stainless steel super redhawk, it was so heavy I had to wear heavy doooty suspenders with my belt to keep my pants up.....which reminds me, I gotta dig out the Thompsen Contender and extra barrels because I promised it to the other nephew.

Phillip Allen
10-27-2007, 08:52 PM
we'll shoot offa the bench...

SaltyD from BC
10-27-2007, 09:06 PM
which reminds me, I gotta dig out the Thompsen Contender and extra barrels because I promised it to the other nephew.

Uncle paladin - I'm deeply touched! :D

paladin
10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
If'n you is after my Thompsen, you is a little teched.....'cause said nephew is my source of fresh venison and turkey and buffalo burgers.:D:D:D:D He's already got my '94 winchester in .45 long colt and he's been making funny noises about my 1892 short rifle (not carbine) Winchester.......but he ain't agonna get that one....

BrianW
10-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I bought a used Winchester M70, chambered in 338 win mag, that had a muzzle brake installed. I chopped it off myself and recrowned the barrel with a tool from Brownells. Now it's down to a nice 22 inches. Much better than the 26 inch barrels that manufactures feel compelled to install on 'magnum' rifles.

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 06:37 AM
I like full length barrells but not the muzzle brakes...gettin a short rifle is like gettin "small" snow show shoes...easier to carry around by giving up the original purpose...

LeeG
10-28-2007, 06:48 AM
hey guys, explain muzzle brake por favor. I don't know what they do.

Paul Pless
10-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Lee, there's lots of brake versions, but essentially its a hole or series of holes near the muzzle that direct the expanding gas from the burning gunpowder rearward and often time vertically as well. It helps lesson recoil and in the case of handguns it helps compensate for muzzle rise. Because they direct a portion of the gas from the fired cartridge backward they are extremely loud and also often increase the amount of muzzle flash (possible an important consideration in a defensive - or offensive for that matter - handgun).

Like I said there's lots of variations, technically I think a brake is an accesory that can be attached or removed from the barrel, but there's also 'versions' that are simply cut into the barrel proper.

And, like others here, I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes, but I will admit to reaching a recoil threshold somewhere slightly above a .375 H+H. Generally, with calibres larger than that, I either want an extremely heavy gun or a brake for range work - and I'm not embarrassed to admit it.

Tylerdurden
10-28-2007, 07:18 AM
When you get into large calibers and hot loads you want a brake.
I run one on the .300 ultra and it makes a world of diff.

LeeG
10-28-2007, 07:20 AM
got it,,gas and noises sent backwards

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Also, Lee, VERY stylish

LeeG
10-28-2007, 07:38 AM
like shoes?

Tylerdurden
10-28-2007, 09:52 AM
got it,,gas and noises sent backwards

Not exactly, A good portion is sent slightly back side to side and above on compensated styles. Properly designed its not as big of an issue as it would seem.

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I had an old tackle box I carried tools in to the range. once, while shooting a .308 with brake on a rest with box in front and just behind the muzzle...the brake shattered the box (from about a foot above it)...I've seen guys ruin the hood of their car by trying the same trick of leaning across the hood to steady a shot...

Tylerdurden
10-28-2007, 10:41 AM
I had an old tackle box I carried tools in to the range. once, while shooting a .308 with brake on a rest with box in front and just behind the muzzle...the brake shattered the box (from about a foot above it)...I've seen guys ruin the hood of their car by trying the same trick of leaning across the hood to steady a shot...

Amazing what a little pressure will do? Worst I ever did was to remove the guys hat next to me. I did warn him though.
Muzzle brakes mean less scope eye for newbies too.

Lew Barrett
10-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm not a style guy; I mean, I'm a retro style snob, which is why I kept the Superposed and sold the Perrazi when I got out of competition, and take an exteme interest in Chuck's High Standard. Probably should have kept the Perrazi. It would be old enough now to qualify as retro.

Memphis Mike
10-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Bang bang! Is that what the rednecks are using to hunt deer with now?

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Those are Virginia plates on the truck Mike. That's the (our) government

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Those are Virginia plates on the truck Mike. That's the (our) government

Since when is Virginia not a redneck state ?

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Joe, try to see it from the perspective of an Arkie

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Ahhh I got it Virgina is more of a Crimson red where Arkansas is more of an OX Blood Red :D

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 03:42 PM
It's HOG (Razorback) red Joe :)

Memphis Mike
10-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry. I didn't see the plate. I thought it was a Georgia redneck.

Memphis Mike
10-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Here's more from the website that picture came from. They look like a nice bunch of folks over there.

"I must issue this warning. Extremefirepower is a pro-gun, pro-freedom website. If you are one of the pantywaists that feel that the American people have no right to keep and bear arms, if you feel that our freedoms should be trampled in the name of some imaginary safety, let me be totally forthright, FOAD. I have a zero tolerance policy towards liberals and other freedom-hating cowards. All others, of any race, nationality, religion, and sex are welcome here."

http://www.extremefirepower.com/

Phillip Allen
10-28-2007, 04:07 PM
It's understandable Mike...it IS a Ford truck

crawdaddyjim50
10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Seems to be a pretty open minded bunch. I aint much for progressives nor cowards either.

Not fond of muzzle brakes at the range. Unless the gun is set up away from the line about 20 odd feet or so.
Something else that gets me is the gent with the semi-auto that throws hot brass all over you. And he is intent on burning through that 1000rnd can he bought from cheap as dirt.

paladin
10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
For Lew....Mine is the long barreled trophy model with fluted barrel, muzzle brake and a pair of adjustable weights. I had three.... but a "friend" borrowed one and disappeared......
I also have a .22 barrel for the Thompsen Contender...and a .44 magnum....357 magnum.....45 long colt....17.223........I put an aimpoint electronic sight on the .44 barrel to chase deer with....

SaltyD from BC
10-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Thompson Center bad. Very very bad. Send all to SaltyD :D

I've liked the idea of these single shots for a while but don't own one. Only having so much money my Marlin lever and Husqvarna bolt afflictions have won over when there's money in the rifle fund..

Canoez
10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
When they get this big, 20mm, you want all the help you can get on handling recoil. (This was originally captioned: "Has anybody seen my ankle holster?")
http://www.obscure-reference.com/guns/events/20011111/20011111-4.jpg
:eek::eek::eek:

I was working on some inspection equipment for a gun barrel manufacturer in Southern Maine recently. They were making 25mm, 30mm and 50mm rifled cannon barrels I gotta say, that certainly LOOKS bigger than the barrels at their facility. Hope ya got a BIG recoil spring.

What'cha huntin' with that anyway, Mack Trucks?

Lew Barrett
10-28-2007, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=paladin;1681790]For Lew....Mine is the long barreled trophy model with fluted barrel, muzzle brake and a pair of adjustable weights. I had three.... but a "friend" borrowed one and disappeared......
QUOTE]

Being a city feller I grew up never having looked down the right end of anything more menacing than a Daisy until I was 21.

After that, I decided that gentlemen's shooting sports were all I ever wanted to engage in, hence skeet and trap shotguns and target pistols. By the time I started looking into High Standards, they were very difficult to find and even harder to pay for unless you were a very serious collector, and I was always more of a shooter. You almost never saw them at the range. I can't even recall the last time I saw a High Standard being shot. If I do see one matching the description, I'll hit the guy over the head, grab the pistol and return it to you, Chuck!

paladin
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
ALL of mine are for shootin'......dunno got too much use for stuff to hang on the wall......except for old style colts....maybe an 1884 Moore pistol (ain't very many of those to be found).....and a couple of Miguellette duelling pistols.....(which I've been known to shoot and had folks cringe when they found out that they were real.....)

Peter Kalshoven
10-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Dear Uncle Chuck,
I have been a good boy this year, mostly. Mommy said I needed to write you before Christmas time, so you would would remember me on your gift list. (By the way, what does "ornery old coot" mean, anyways?)
Daddy said to send his love, and it seems he is looking forward to a visit from you soon. I'm not sure from what he said when it is that you're coming. When does hell freeze over next?
We all miss you, hope you are doing well,
your loving nephew,
Pete

JimD
10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
http://www.kolumbus.fi/raine.maattanen/final_cut/linda_hamilton/linda.jpg

Dum dum dum, da dum

Phillip Allen
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Who's that?

JimD
10-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Who's that?

Sarah Connor, mother of John Connor, the man who saved the human race, of course.

Phillip Allen
10-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm still in the dark...

JimD
10-30-2007, 09:17 AM
She's an actress. Her real name is Linda Hamilton. She made two science fiction movies in the 1980s with California Governor Schwarzenegger, who was also a film star at the time. The first was called The Terminator. The sequel was Terminator 2, or simply T2.

She looks more like this, now. In this more recent photo she is promoting mental health wellness initiatives. In real life Linda Hamilton is bi-polar:

http://www.umdnj.edu/umcweb/marketing_and_communications/publications/umdnj_magazine/spring2005/images/limelight.jpg

Lew Barrett
10-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Sarah Connor (is that the right spelling Jim?) was the lead woman in the Terminator movies. How about those arms? The ones attached to her shoulders. The very same movie in which the Arnold made fabulous lines like "Fuk you" and "I'll be back" famous.

Lew Barrett
10-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Dual post. Personal Jinx!

JimD
10-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Sarah Connor (is that the right spelling Jim?) .

I believe so, Lew. I'd have to check the LA phone book to be sure :D

JimD
10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
You didn't want to mess with Sarah Connor:

http://beancounters.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/sarah.jpg

Lew Barrett
10-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I believe so, Lew. I'd have to check the LA phone book to be sure :D

You're killing me:D

JimD
10-30-2007, 09:42 AM
You're killing me:D

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/ScienceFiction/TermPistool2.jpg

Stay clear of the red beam, eh buddy?

SaltyD from BC
10-30-2007, 10:45 PM
:confused: that's just silly

But then again so is much of California I guess :)