Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George.
    • Aug 2004

Fifty Years Ago

Sputnik. The Space Age and MAD, born on the same day.

Also, perhaps Russia's apogee as a nation. Barely 12 years after being devastated by the German invasion, such an achievement. A glorious moment, soon followed by the tragedy of Laika the dog and the triumph of Yuri Gagarin.
  • Milo Christensen
    Banned
    • May 2006

I made my first dollar fifty years ago October 4th as an eight year old newspaperboy. I got a tip from the big house on the hill to encourage me to always bring the paper up and put it inside the front porch door. I remember the rich man in the house making a big deal out of giving me the dollar bill. He sort of snapped it in front of me by pulling sharply on both ends.
    Last edited by Milo Christensen; 09-25-2007, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• carioca1232001
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by George.
      Sputnik. ..... Barely 12 years after being devastated by the German invasion, such an achievement. A glorious moment, soon followed by the tragedy of Laika the dog and the triumph of Yuri Gagarin.
      One could say, perhaps, ..............much quicker to market with the spoils of WWII ? .

Which is not to say that they themselves are not an enormously talented people.......

Comment

• Bob Adams
        • Sep 2000

They flogged thier German rocket scientists harder than we did ours.
        You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
        Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• George.
          • Aug 2004

They had world-class rocket scientists and rockets before the Germans. Tsiokolski (sp?) and Katiushas.

Comment

• carioca1232001
            • Nov 2003

Synergy at work, the whole greatly exceeding the sum of the parts.

Comment

• Popeye
              speedo
              • Jun 2003

"in 2003, China successfully launched astronaut Yang Liwei into orbit, becoming the third country after the Soviet Union and the United States to put a man in space.

China's space ambitions have continued to grow and it announced recently that it would launch a joint mission with Russia to Mars in 2009, and plans an unmanned lunar expedition by 2012."

Comment

• George.
                • Aug 2004

plans an unmanned lunar expedition by 2012
                Russia did that forty years ago. It's not that big a deal, technically speaking.

Comment

• TimH
                  Be as you wish to seem.
                  • Nov 2002

For China it is. It proves that they are well on their way to world domination.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Popeye
                    speedo
                    • Jun 2003

It's not that big a deal, technically speaking.
                    neither is orbiting military hardware

Comment

• carioca1232001
                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by George.

Russia did that forty years ago. It's not that big a deal, technically speaking.
                      Guess which of the two , viz., the manned (US) or unmanned (USSR) lunar landing, was judged by scientific circles as being by far the more complex ?

They were to do the same again a decade or so later with Buran, an Endeavour-type space-shuttle vehicle. A combination of remote control and autonomous automata, from start to finish.

Not a big deal ? Not if you have a copious supply of MIT/Caltech pros on tap, on par with the level of ANY engineer/scientist who graduated in the now defunct USSR.

Comment

• paladin
                        Senior Senior Member
                        • Dec 2000

They did much better building on Goddards research than did the Germans......and the man that did it was Ukraine.
                        Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                        ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                        Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                        Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                        "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• Kevin G
                          • Apr 2000

West Side Story opened in NY
                          \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Working...