PDA

View Full Version : which skin?

soba
09-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Hey guys, need your opinions again...

I'm finally ready to re-plank Larkie. Living here on Vancouver Island, I have access to some really good boat lumber. The mill I deal with has several woods available, and I am having trouble deciding what to do.

Larkie is a 1936 Seabird yawl, western red cedar on oak frames. She is currently 7/8, and I will replank in 9/8.

I can get old growth (reclaimed or heli-logged) western red cedar, pacific yellow cedar, douglas fir, or old growth empire pine.

I am going with the pine for the interior (a bit brighter) but I am torn on what to use for the planking. Any preferences? I'd like to finish part of her bright...

Cheers!

*soba*;)

outofthenorm
09-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I can't think of any good reason not to put back what she originally had, especially considering where you are. WRC since 1936? And you can get real old growth stock? That would be end of discussion for me.

- Norm

Jim Ledger
09-25-2007, 09:41 AM
How can you increase the plank thickness by 1/4"?

What's going to happen at the rabbet and the deck edge?

Won't the planks be too heavy for the frames?

soba
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Rabbet and chine logs are being modified. The frames are massive sawn things...4 on the port and 7 on the stbd are being replaced. The knees are being replaced with silicon bronze plates. I'm pretty sure the frames would hold just about anything. A wooden boat restorer of good repute is helping me with the rabbets. I confess I had not planned for the deck edge, exactly, but Paul (my expert) didn't seem concerned when I just phoned him.

We wanted to put heavier planking on her for a variety of reasons. I have decided not to copper sheathe the bottom, though it was an option. I have about 75 4'x6' 06 gauge copper sheets left over from a custom installation I finished two years ago. They were basically free to me.