PDA

View Full Version : The Equinox

Bruce Hooke
09-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Happy Autumnal Equinox to those north of the equator and happy Vernal Equinox to the southern hemisphere folks.

Yeah, I know it means the boating season is winding down for many up in my part of the world, but there will be some good days yet, and when it's not so nice outside the shop is a good place to be...

botebum
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
It may be winding down in your neck of the woods but around here it's round two of fishin' season:cool:

Doug

ishmael
09-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Happy equinox, Bruce. It's been beautiful here the last week. That stark late summer sky that's at turns clear as a motel ice cube and gray as a prince's riding cloak.

I love this time of year, but don't look forward to the hawk of winter.

Bruce Hooke
09-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Happy equinox, Bruce. It's been beautiful here the last week. That stark late summer sky that's at turns clear as a motel ice cube and gray as a prince's riding cloak.

I love this time of year, but don't look forward to the hawk of winter.

Thanks. Those are some nice descriptions you've painted there.

It has been beautiful down here too...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Technically, this year's equinox was on the 21st, but the "equinoctial gale" of British folklore has actually arrived this morning - the weekend was fine and clear.

Edited to add: two weekends till the boat comes ashore - I am going to try to launch at the Spring Equinox!

The Bigfella
09-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Ahh - a fond welcome to the warmth of spring.

Bruce Hooke
09-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Technically, this year's equinox was on the 21st...

Hmmm...I checked multiple websites and there seems to be general agreement that the autumnal equinox occurred at 9:51AM on Sept. 23 (Greenwich Mean Time). http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/AutumnalEquinox.html

The only exception would be for people who live on the Hawaiian Islands and a few other places just east of the date line, for whom it occurred late in the evening on the 22nd.

ahp
09-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Where we are sailing season in beginning. Summer is so damned hot, and whoever heard of a air conditioned sailboat? Better get the boat in the water.

Tanbark Spanker
09-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Seems to be a full moon, too.