PDA

View Full Version : Senate condemns MoveOn.org ad

LeeG
09-20-2007, 11:05 PM
75/25,,,next week they vote on their favorite Super Bowl ad.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8RPBHO80&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate voted Thursday to condemn an advertisement by the liberal anti-war group MoveOn.org that accused the top military commander in Iraq of betrayal.
The 72-25 vote condemned the full-page ad that appeared in The New York Times last week as Gen. David Petraeus, the top military commander in Iraq, testified on Capitol Hill. The ad was headlined: "General Petraeus or General Betray Us? Cooking the books for the White House."

jbelow
09-21-2007, 12:02 AM
75/25,,,next week they vote on their favorite Super Bowl ad.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8RPBHO80&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate voted Thursday to condemn an advertisement by the liberal anti-war group MoveOn.org that accused the top military commander in Iraq of betrayal.
The 72-25 vote condemned the full-page ad that appeared in The New York Times last week as Gen. David Petraeus, the top military commander in Iraq, testified on Capitol Hill. The ad was headlined: "General Petraeus or General Betray Us? Cooking the books for the White House."

That's sad . They had to take a vote for something like that ! It was not even unanimous .

Tylerdurden
09-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Whats it going to take for the average American to understand there is no two party's, only the illusion of a two party system.

Actually some very smart people are just as snookered by it.

When the clampdown comes it will be too late..........................

Cuyahoga Chuck
09-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Go easy on the jeremiads. Too much of that stuff can make you sick.
In politics perception is everything. It may even cause members of congress to find fault with citizens who were exercizing their legitimate First Amendments rights.
I'll be sure to find out which members were brave enough to go against the grain.

LeeG
09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
"Senator, these are serious charges, are you or have you ever, critized a US General?

Osborne Russell
09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
The ad is of a piece with Sheryl Crow accosting Karl Rove.

Dumb.

Results in TV counter-ads and a Senate Resolution, for cryin' out loud. That's what you produced by grabbing the nation's attention?

Dems shouldn't even attempt the over-simplification game.

1. Over-simplification is wrong.
2. They are pathetically incompetent at it, whereas the Republicans are past masters.

John of Phoenix
09-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Vote description: Cornyn Amdt. No. 2934; To express the sense of the Senate that General David H. Petraeus, Commanding General, Multi-National Force-Iraq, deserves the full support of the Senate and strongly condemn personal attacks on the honor and integrity of General Petraeus and all members of the United States Armed Forces.

Yes 72
Democratic 22
Max Baucus, Evan Bayh, Ben Cardin, Thomas Carper, Bob Casey, Kent Conrad, Byron Dorgan, Dianne Feinstein, Tim Johnson, Amy Klobuchar, Herb Kohl, Mary Landrieu, Patrick Leahy, Blanche Lincoln, Claire McCaskill, Barbara Mikulski, Ben Nelson, Bill Nelson, Mark Pryor, Kenneth Salazar, Jon Tester, Jim Webb

Independent
Joseph Lieberman

Republican
All 49

No 25
Democratic 24
Daniel Akaka, Jeff Bingaman, Barbara Boxer, Sherrod Brown, Robert Byrd, Hillary Clinton, Christopher Dodd, Dick Durbin, Russell Feingold, Tom Harkin, Daniel Inouye, Edward Kennedy, John Kerry, Frank Lautenberg, Carl Levin, Robert MenÚndez, Patty Murray, Jack Reed, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller, Chuck Schumer, Debbie Stabenow, Sheldon Whitehouse, Ron Wyden

Independent
Bernard Sanders

Not Voting 3
Democratic
Joseph Biden, Maria Cantwell, Barack Obama

+++++++++
Ok, people, now get busy on the important stuff. What happened to that constitutional amendment against gay marriage? Flag burning?

LeeG
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
The thing is that when GW ignored the Baker-Hamilton recomendations, dismissed intelligence from Iraq under the new and improved CIA as "just guessing" then puts Patreus up as the unassailabe non political face for Stay The Course he put the General up as the face for GWs operation.

But please,,don't pick on the General,,Leave General Patreaus alone...

So GW gets to kick the operation down to the next prez. The longer folks don't plan on a draw down the more likely it'll be precipitious when it does happen because there will be no plan for it,,just like going in.

Tom Montgomery
09-21-2007, 04:42 PM
72 knaves and cowards. They do not deserve to live free in a Democratic Republic.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
--attributed to Voltaire

Kentuckians will do their part to make things right in the next election. Mark my words: Mitch McConnell and Jim Bunning are serving their last term in the U.S. Senate.

John of Phoenix
09-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Mitch McConnell and Jim Bunning are serving their last term in the U.S. Senate

Well that'll be two down. McCain isn't up this time by that weasel Kyl is in the fight of his shameful life as are several republican congressmen.

Kick ass and take names.

LeeG
09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
It's the era of Congressional fatwas,,who's next?

for kicks and giggles from Daily Kos:

New York, NY (Rotters)- In a vote of 3,100,000 to 100,000 yesterday, the members of MoveOn.org voted overwhelmingly to place a second ad in the New York Times this weekend condemning the U.S. Congress for wasting time condemning them over their previous ad condemning General David Petraeus as "General Betray us". The ad implies that both houses of Congress, in particular the leadership, are "Ass-kissing little chicken****s", a term which has been used to refer to General Petraeus by his superiors in the past.

Dood Abides's diary :: ::
The text of the full page advertisement in it's entirety stated:

Congress is a group of elected officials constantly at war with the electorate. In 2006 they continually insisted that if elected they would bring an end to the disastrous war and ongoing occupation of Iraq. Last week the leaders of both branches said, "We have achieved progress, and we are obviously going to do everything that we can to build on the progress."

Yesterday, they had the opportunity to pass two important bills to advance their support for our troops in Iraq and alter the direction of the ongoing catastrophe. Instead they chose to condemn an article we placed in the New York Times. We hear of bruised egos, hurt feelings, and improprieties. But we don't hear of how many more troops will be hurt or killed because of their willful inaction.

More importantly, Congress cannot admit what everyone knows: Iraq is a bloodbath with or without us. They will not admit that American troops are condemned to remain in Iraq through at least one more election cycle.

CENTCOM Commander Admiral William Fallon has referred to "Surge Architect"
General David Petraeus has an "Ass-kissing little chicken****", far worse than the "Betray Us" invective coined by his own troops and pointed out by us. Today, perhaps, it is Congress that has actually betrayed us.

Congress has vowed to convene a special session this weekend to vote on another condemnation of the latest ad. Preliminary polling of the Senate indicates that the condemnation would pass handily with 80 votes for and 20 votes against. This margin guarantees that there would be no veto from the president.

The White House refused to directly comment on either the ad or Congress's proposed response. "Unlike the blatantly partisan smear directed at General Petraeus, MoveOn may actually have a point here," stated White House spokesperson Dana Perino. "The President is happy to see the national dialogue gravitate towards these more important and debatable issues, but is clearly disappointed over the language."

John of Phoenix
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Dear MoveOn member,

Yesterday, an amazing thing happened. After the Senate's shameful vote, and after President Bush called MoveOn "disgusting," our email started to fill up with messages like this one:

I'm currently in Iraq. I do not agree with this war, and if I did support this war, it would not matter. You have the RIGHT to speak the truth. We KNOW that you support us. Thank you for speaking out for being our voice. We do not have a voice. We are overshooted by those who say that we soldiers do not support organizations like MoveOn. WE DO.
YOU ARE OUR voice.

And then came the donations. By midnight, over 12,000 people had donated $500,000—more than we've raised any day this year—for our new ad calling out the Republicans who blocked adequate rest for troops headed back to Iraq.
Half a million bucks in a single day!!

:D He's helpless without rove. :D

LeeG
09-21-2007, 05:18 PM
John,,it looks like the emperors clothes no longer cut it. The Repubs issue a fatwa and the uppity CITIZENS respond.

John of Phoenix
09-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Power to the people!
Give those fine folks something to think about.

The message from MoveOn members was loud and clear: Don't back down. Take the fight back to the issues that matter.

So today we're shooting for a very ambitious goal: Reach $1 million so we can dramatically expand the campaign we launched yesterday going after politicians who support this awful war. Can you chip in $25 toward our goal?

All day, messages from vets and military family members kept pouring into our email, many of them aimed at the Senate:

I have given a son to this country. My brother, my father, my uncle have all served honorably and bravely. I am a loyal American. I am outraged and sick to death of the tactics this administration uses to try to silence dissent to a war that is unjust, built and maintained on lies, political power, and greed. I was content to let others fight more loudly, but no more.
–Sharyn W., NC

I am a prior soldier who served in Iraq for 13 months, and am now an expecting mom with a husband who is deployed in Baghdad. I don't think I can ever forgive the Bush administration for the lies that tricked America into this war and hurt my family so badly. I am ashamed of those American politicians who would condemn an organization for practicing the Freedom of Speech that so many soldiers have died for.
–Danielle B., OH

As a US Navy veteran and an Iraq war veteran of over a year I want to ask, What has happened to us? What has happened to our voice? Where is this country going with stopping free speech and free press? ... Every time I think of the long nights I had in Anbar remembering what I was fighting for, well here it is....
–Ahmad H., LA

These folks have made sacrifices many of us can't imagine. Their charge to us was clear: keep speaking the truth about how President Bush and the Republicans have betrayed our trust.

So we're going to expand our ad campaign—keep it on the air longer and run it against other politicians who helped block adequate rest time for our troops. Can you chip in $25 to do it?

https://pol.moveon.org/donate/mcconnell.html?id=11275-2349151-eXv.hF&t=3

And still the messages kept coming ...

I've had three nephews serve since 2002, one of whom was killed in Anbar Province. I have a fourth nephew at Quantico training. I want this war over before he is deployed and before any more of our soldiers are sacrificed.
–Michele R., NE

Three members of my family are military. Two Marines have served in Iraq and an Army Lt. is deploying in November. If we had all spoken out when the administration used General Powell perhaps we would not be in this mess.
–Carol B., PA

As a Marine I served for many reasons but one of them was to allow people the freedom of speech, whether I agreed with it or not. Wearing a uniform does not mean someone isn't a shill, is spewing propaganda, and downright lies. MoveOn has every right to buy an ad and say what they want about a public figure. This administration has lied to us, deceived us, misled us and when posed with a challenge this is how they respond?
–Keith G., VA

The Senate won't pass a policy to end the war or even to make sure our troops in the field have enough rest time between deployments, but they hold votes to crack down on millions of Americans who are upset about the war?

Well—it isn't going to work. We put together a hard-hitting ad that highlights how Republicans failed our troops and if we can raise enough money today, we'll air it across the country. Please help if you can:

https://pol.moveon.org/donate/mcconnell.html?id=11275-2349151-eXv.hF&t=4

For all of us on the MoveOn staff, this week was a bit of a rollercoaster—MoveOn was attacked by nearly the entire Republican party, while too many Democrats ran for the hills. But what kept us going were messages like these—and the incredible privilege we feel to serve all 3.2 million Americans in MoveOn.org.

"When the story is written of how the Iraq war ended, you will be the heroes. Thank you."

–Eli, Adam G., Adam R., Anna, Carrie, Daniel, Erik, Ilyse, Jennifer, Joan, Justin, Karin, Laura, Marika, Matt, Natalie, Nita, Noah, Tanya, Tom & Wes

MoveOn.org Political Action
Friday, September 21st, 2007

Sources

1. "Bush: MoveOn.org ad on Petraeus 'disgusting'," CNN, September 20, 2007.
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=2990&id=11275-2349151-eXv.hF&t=5

Support our member-driven organization: MoveOn.org Political Action is entirely funded by our 3.2 million members. We have no corporate contributors, no foundation grants, no money from unions. Our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. If you'd like to support our work, you can give now at:

http://political.moveon.org/donate/email.html?id=11275-2349151-eXv.hF&t=6

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Thanks to Ian McColgin for bring this organization to my attention.

Tanbark Spanker
09-21-2007, 06:00 PM
It seems that 99% of the Senate is always giving that 1% a bad name.