>
> The aircraft's design provided for subsonic and super-sonic air flows,
> without stagnation or compressor stalls. Supersonic in itself was a big
> challenge because they had to use shock waves to slow the intake air
> mass to sub-sonic before it hit the compressor blades, or they would
> stall. The designers' solution was keeping a lot of air going in the
> front end to make sure the all hot air kept going out the back end. As I
> watch this Mach 2 airplane suspend motionless in air and do tail slides,
> I am in awe of the engines and intakes.
>
> I used to think the Su-27 / Su-31 Cobra maneuver was the epitome of 3rd
> to 4th generation fighter maneuverability but that snap maneuver doesn't
> hold a candle to what this two-dimensional vectored-thrust fighter with
> fat independent horizontal stabilizers can do at low speed. If this is
> what the aircraft can show in public demonstrations, I can only guess
> what tricks it has up its sleeve in the high subsonic dogfight speed
> range.
>

capnharv
09-19-2007, 01:27 PM
The pitch rate with thrust vectoring is really impressive. I haven't seen anything that manuverable since RC planes.

The differential elevators (or elevons) are interesting too. I know they've been independent on fighters for a long time, but this is the first time I've seen them used like this.

I worked on a proposal for ATF (advanced tactical fighter) in the mid-80's. 2D-CD nozzles and their mechanisms were interesting then and are intersting now (especially in production).

Thanks for the link.

Harvey

LeeG
09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
it's incredible,, just think of the accumulated brain power that made it possible.

And the brains developing the policies to use it.

something doesn't connect.

I keep going back to the slow motion like falling,,,wow

Kaa
09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Nice tech. I don't know how relevant it is, though, in the world of remote-controlled drones.

A swarm of small pilotless aircraft is going to be cheaper and more effective, seems to me.

Kaa

JBreeze
09-19-2007, 01:46 PM
How do you think the F-22 compares against the SU-37? Both seem incredible, and I suppose they both can do things that aren't shown at Air Shows. It is really the missiles and electronics that are important, rather than the skill of the pilots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-4NL-UgjLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FBKRDSahc

SamSam
09-19-2007, 01:51 PM
If this is
> what the aircraft can show in public demonstrations, I can only guess
> what tricks it has up its sleeve in the high subsonic dogfight speed
> range.Not intending to drift the thread, John Murtha says the F-22 is the only plane we have that is better than anything China has, for the moment.

TimH
09-19-2007, 02:39 PM
We should just buy the made in China planes because they are cheaper. These American ones are way too expensive.

ishmael
09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I can't watch the vid with any ease, but I understand it's an impressive machine.

I wonder, with the lightning development of computers and robotics, if the manned fighter isn't going the way of the buggy whip.

The Bigfella
09-19-2007, 05:55 PM
it's incredible,, just think of the accumulated brain power that made it possible.

And the brains developing the policies to use it.

something doesn't connect.

That is 100% spot-on Lee.

My management prof. a few years back had worked on the minuteman missile program (and Apollo for that matter - and he was also involved in the SALT 2 talks).

Lots of scientists cutting different scenarios - if we do this, they'll do this - losses will be..... He said that all the best brains involved in this stuff decided within about a 6 month period to get out - because they were concerned that those making the policy would act on a scenario because they knew they had the best brains in the world working on them. They did not want responsibility for one of the clowns taking a decision based on their work.

The benefit of hindsight so just how perceptive they were eh?