PDA

View Full Version : Sad Affair

Dale Harvey
07-12-2001, 09:15 AM
Ad in the Sarasota paper for a 14' Bahamian dingy, ready to go for only 1,400. Well, thats less than I would take for my Albury that is currently a basket case. So I give the guy a call. My first thought was to get it donated to the Historic Spanish Point Museum's Maritime program where I have been volunteering. No luck, the guy didn't need a tax deduction. Boat is a Winer Malone and only needs a small patch on the keel that won't take more than an afternoon to do. He was ticked that his kid had put it in the paper for that figure, when he had over six in it. One of the guys from museum program had been taken with my boat, so I figured maybe he would fund her. We went to take a look. The poor thing sat on a seriously deteriorateing float moored in front of a half million dollar home on a Siesta Key canal. Yup, the urethane paint on the wrinkeled glasswork was still shiny. The glass over the wormshoe had been cracked at some point, and despite the clean bottom paint, the critters have done massive damage to the encapsulated shoe and keel. I guess the owner figured to slap some body putty in there. Fourteen feet measured twelve by my tape. Was unable to turn her up by myself, but peeking underneath reveled gaping seams in the keel area, where freshwater has undoubtedly sat for too long. Quality plain steel eyescrews used as rudder gudgeons, had rusted off to nothing, indicating the overall quality of the last restoration. On the way out we noticed the dacron sail bunched up on the boom, had been left laying on the conrete floor, where the alkali will eat holes in it. There was an aluminum trailer to fit the boat, but I suspect it will cost extra. I cannot trust myself to deal with this fool further, and I could not reccomend to the museum curator that he even accept the craft as a gift in it's current condition. The owners contact number at his workplace is 941-955-1400 in Sarasota Florida. Someone should save this boat, it is still quite possible and she has sweet lines.

PugetSound
07-15-2001, 02:10 AM
All things must pass . . . I think this little boat gave up the ghost some time ago. While it may still show it's lines, it would have to be a very very special boat to be worth reincarnating....

Dale Harvey
07-15-2001, 08:36 AM
Actually after some of the posts I have seen here, she is a quick and easy fix. Might even be worth the asking price, after all Mr. Malone is an artisan of some repute. Grown crook natural frames and Madiera stem are all intact, as is most of the plank. Grease up the trailer wheels and she'll follow a compact car home. I hate to see another infidel get ahold of it and use it as a decorative piece!

Phil Young
07-15-2001, 06:57 PM
Dale, you've got me all confused here. Are we talking about an old 12' bahamian workboat? And you are unhappy that mild steel eyes have been used as rudder gudgeons? What do you reckon the locals do down there, email west marine to airfreight some nice stainless ones out to them? And this boat has been at leats partly encapsulated in fibreglass, she's dried out opened up, rotted and who knows what else. You think she's worth the asking price, a classic in need of restoration, but you wouldn't reccomend the museum curator take her as a gift? GET A GRIP!! This boat is a worn out workboat, not even fit for toasting marshmallows. Thank god the curator at the museum you volunteer at had the sense not even to look at the thing. Someone's got to make sure these tax concessions are properly used. Sorry about my intemperate tone, but crickey mate.

Todd Schliemann
07-15-2001, 10:54 PM
Dale, it is a sad tale. I spent some time in Hope Town watching Winer Malone put one of those boats together. No power tools, a little lean-to wedged between a couple of houses across the "walk" from the harbour, enough room for one boat and his stash of wood. He put them together by eye, and what an eye. Saw him launch it one day, some guy from Florida who had contracted it was there to take it home. After a few guys slid it into the harbour Winer stood by and just watched the waterline. It was right on, but he continued to look at it. I said "it floats." He looked up at me and smiled, as if to say, "yes, more or less, maybe the next one could be better." He built boats with such integrity, workman-like throughout.
Prettiest damn things you'll ever see, a humble and honest boat that wears it's pride quietly. They are unmistakable. I saw one on Long Island a few years back and it made my heart jump, nearly fell off the dock.

If I could I would, but I can't so I lose. Hope we don't lose this one.