PDA

View Full Version : Dingo

CEF
09-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I was a film in my psychology class today about an Australian, no not you. It was "Shine" about David Helfgott a piano player. Have you or anyone downunder heard of him, have you seen the film, it was a good film, or have you seen him?
What might you be able to tell my about him that did not show up in the movie, you know how the movies are.
I did find a website about him, and it had very little information about him.
Any information that you or others can add is greatly appreciated.

The Bigfella
09-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Played by Geoffrey Rush in the movie. I recall plenty being written around the time of the movie - and his condition was widely reported.

boatbear
09-11-2007, 11:23 PM
CEF, try a bit more googling. There is a lot of info out there, interviews, biographies, pics etc. There may even be contact information. He is still kicking and still playing, I gather.
Charlie

CEF
09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Bigfella and Boatbear, thank you both. I did a web search and found some information as well as an E-mail Address for David Helfgott and sent a request for information covering a number of questions that came up in class.
I was wondering what others near him thought about him and the film.

Did you ever see the film Rainman? Well the fellow that the film is based on was at the college last year for a few hours and we learned a great deal talking with him also. Hoping that he will be able to back again this year.

boatbear
09-12-2007, 04:46 AM
I enjoyed the film very much. I gather from other sources that the film had some inaccuracies. That is to be expected of course.
How did you like the film?
Charlie

CEF
09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
The film "Shine" was go entertainment but very much in line with the Cinderella fairytale all the way to happy everafter ending.
A great amount of his life and struggles were not even hinted at, yea I know it was a "FEEL GOOD" movie.
I would like to know more about the "person" that the movie was about.