PDA

View Full Version : as i get ready to paint the '67 skiff...

Stargazer14
08-26-2003, 07:40 PM
After reading old posts on the forum, advice and instruction pages the paint manufactures provide, and listening with a stone face to the fella that lives on his chalky plastic boat at the marina(does he ever put that Coors Light down or trade in for a new can?), I am a tad confused about primers for paint - there is new(bare) wood, existing paint with good adhesion, and areas of epoxy fairing - surely I dont need three kinds of primer do I?
The guy at the marina keeps telling me to 'gelcoat the damn thing', I thought i'd ask you guys first.
Before I put on a new coat or two of fine marine enamel, isnt there one primer that can do it all?

On Vacation
08-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Opinion number one.

If you have all of the above mentioned, you can use a good oil base primer on it all. You say you have epoxy fairing. I use Kilz on it, for a good sealer coat on it all. Then when you decide what topcoat you will be using, then use the appropiate primer for it.

There was a discussion on Kilz a while back. But I don't know where to locate it. It works well over the epoxy fairing for oil base topcoats. It also will fill pinholes. Do not apply it thick and in the wind. It dries very fast, under outdoor or weather that we have now. Do the whole boat with two coats of primer and let sit at least a day. You can apply two coats in about four hours, allowing the first coat to DRY. I mix mineral spirits in it, to thin it. You do not have to sand betwen coats, when fresh recoating.

bret
08-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Opinion #2
Just wack that gel coat guy and go with opinion #1 tongue.gif