PDA

View Full Version : 28-10

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-08-2007, 12:45 PM
And, I'd guess, no hope for either side.

The Bigfella
09-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Nah - it was 91-3 - in the real game

PeterSibley
09-08-2007, 09:07 PM
We've got to assume the Japanese aren't big on rugby...poor bastards ............the face ,the face .

ewan
09-09-2007, 03:44 AM
kiwis looked hot!!!
how do we keep losing to these guys :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXWbsuPPrk&mode=related&search=
hey bro....

Ron Williamson
09-09-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm watching Canada vs.Wales...
I don't know why...
I suppose I should learn as my neice is on a Canadian championship Under 19 team with hopes of making the national team.
R

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Effin Rugby effin Cup on TWO CHANNELS and the grand prix transmission cancelled.

Is it any wonder that Wales is the land of the sat dish and cable box - people pay real money to avoid being saddled with Crippled Welch BBC2 and ITV Wails.

Paul Pless
09-09-2007, 01:22 PM
...and the grand prix transmission cancelled.That's what its like being an F1 fan in the United States.:mad:

John Meachen
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
The highlights of the Italian GP should still be available and there will be no need to endure the mundane bits.Personally,I would be quite happy to never see any televised ball games of any type.Somehow,I have yet to be asked for my preferences in this respect.Perhaps it's the invisiblity that comes from frequenting the bilge.

John B
09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm watching Canada vs.Wales...
I don't know why...
I suppose I should learn as my neice is on a Canadian championship Under 19 team with hopes of making the national team.
R

Wales left their run late didn't they!!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-09-2007, 05:33 PM
I've got a ticket for England/South Africa next Friday.

Predictions welcome...

The Bigfella
09-09-2007, 06:28 PM
South Africa by 14.

As for the F1 being cancelled - it was put back to 2am here - so that they could show the Sth Africa v Samoa game. WTF?

I'm actively lobbying for free to air TV to lose the rights to anything they don't show live. We're lucky with the Supoerbikes and Moto GP now - we get it live on Fox, hours before the delayed telecasts on free to air.

John B
09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah, and imagine how upset I was not to see Scott Dixon run out of gas on the last lap in the series finale when he was leading and about to take the points title.( kicks chair)

stevebaby
09-10-2007, 11:30 PM
We've got to assume the Japanese aren't big on rugby...poor bastards ............the face ,the face .125 000 registered players, compared to 42 000 in Oz. Of course they need that many players as all losing teams have to commit seppuku.Their World Cup squad must have filled a jumbo jet.
A better game than the result would suggest, as was South Africa and Samoa.

The Bigfella
09-10-2007, 11:56 PM
I remember speaking to Pat Howard's mum a few years back at a rugby function - (Pat is a third generation Wallaby) - they were involved in coaching in Japan before Pat came back to the Wallabies training role.

She said they love having Aussies in their teams - because of our ability to read the circumstances of the game and change the game plan to suit. Apparently the blossoms tend to do what they are told - eg run the right flank - and will continue to do it all game long, even if they are getting creamed.

I think a guy who used to work for me also went up there. He was captain of Eastwood at the time - but was attracted by the big bucks playing in Japan.

John B
09-14-2007, 04:01 PM
gee, England had no answer there eh! Shame to see Robinson go off like that.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-14-2007, 04:30 PM
what happened?

South Africa crush England 36-0 in Paris.

A polished and ruthless South Africa scored 36 unanswered points as IRB Rugby World Cup holders England saw their grip on the trophy loosen.

South Africa were superior in every part of the field, consigning England to a first blank scoreline in their world cup history.

See post #10above

The Bigfella
09-15-2007, 08:51 AM
25-3 half time. Who is this Tungeerie the commentator keeps talking about?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Everybody has gone to Cardiff there may be some sore heads in the morning.

The Bigfella
09-15-2007, 10:13 AM
How did you guys pull a home game? I thought the World Cup was in France?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Cardiff is closer to Paris than Nice.

Anyways a decent game - and a fair result.

The Bigfella
09-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Anyways a decent game - and a fair result.

There was more foul play and cheap shots by some of our guys than I've ever seen before - I guess it started after that very late shot by, was it Jones?

Your guys really got back into it for a whole there in the second half - good fighting spirit.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Went to Paris. Clapped Robinson. No other comment.:o

John B
09-16-2007, 03:55 AM
I think I just bit my tongue.

bamamick
09-16-2007, 08:22 AM
for the parts that are in Scotland or in Wales. :)

It looks like that US will at least lose most of their matches respectively this time out. That's really quite an improvement, I believe.

Mickey Lake

John B
09-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Massive upset with Tonga beating Samoa... man there's some celebrations going today I bet.
That sets up the England/ Tonga match to be one to watch!.
I don't know what went on with the England South Africa match, whether its a weak English side or phenomenally strong SA side.. they're the team to watch so far.
The All Black Portugal game was terrific from a sportsmanship point of view.. great ambassadorial game for the sport although terribly one sided results wise.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Having watched the England/SA match, here are some observations:

SA never varied the style of their line outs - i.e., they did not need to.

By the second half SA had determined on a style of play that England could not answer, and it was nothing terribly clever, just up and unders. SA were very noticeably quicker, so this worked for them.

England could not resist kicking for touch although they were repeatedly losing lineouts.

Habana is indeed incredibly quick but he was always well marked, so was not able to show to fullest advantage.

From what I recall, England found an overlap just once. At least, I only remember seeing one.

John B
09-16-2007, 05:21 PM
The fine line between tactical kicks and chucking away possession is always a frustrating one isn't it.
Habana looked electric all right!
Have you seen our AB Fijian wings ?, man those guys are amazing, very tall and deceptively fast.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-16-2007, 05:55 PM
I have a sort of inexpert theory, based on a lot of watching of Sevens rather than on (now absurdly out of date) playing experience, that the faster the game, the less one should try tactical kicks for territory - you are better off with possession, even in the wrong half. And this was a fast game, certainly so far as South Africa were concerned.

The Bigfella
09-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Have you seen our AB Fijian wings ?,
:eek:

Has our rugby league comp pinched all the Kiwi All Black recruits, so now you are scavenging the Pacific Islands for players? :D

Interesting comment by the Welsh commentator about the Wallabies scrum - with not an Aussie-born player in the front line.

Dunning is Canadian born (but he went to my kid's school just up the road from us) - the other two were born in Saudi Arabia (of Irish stock) and I think he said the other one was born in Jakarta.

Phew - we must still be taking convict ships eh?

The Bigfella
09-17-2007, 04:20 AM
I just watched the last 15 minutes of the Fiji v Canada match. The Canadians threw the match away. They could have taken it.

John B
09-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I caught half of the Welsh japan game.. a runaway for Wales, despite the shirt crime.

Ireland France on now ..goooooo Irelandddddddd

England Samoa on early tomorrow for us ooo man thats gonna be a toughie. Samoa will be hurting after losing to Tonga.. emotions will be high there

John B
09-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Whoa , tough game.. France leading at half time. They ( the hosts) could be out if they lose this.

John B
09-21-2007, 03:34 PM
France has sewn this one up. Tough match grinding away devoid of anything inspiring ,until the last 15 minutes.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-25-2007, 08:12 AM
On present form, I think that, this Friday, a nation with a population of 112,000 is going to beat a nation of 63 million, who invented the game.

Tonga play rugby the way the game should be played.

bamamick
09-27-2007, 12:42 PM
respectable showing that I can remember during this Cup, with only a serious throttling at the hand of the Springboks left to endure. All in all not a bad showing by the Eagles. From reading bits of articles on the different sites covering the Cup it would appear that there is hope for the future, but of course I remember 1991 and hearing much the same things.

Mickey Lake

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
If it encourages more American boys to play the game, that will be enough to ensure that the Eagles do better still in the future.

John B
09-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I'll be a match to see all right. Might be the match of the tournament.

You should see the Tongan flags. Can't drive down the street without cars driving around with big flags hanging off them, tooting and carrying on.
Unfortunately ,I'm going to miss it I think.

The Bigfella
09-28-2007, 06:13 PM
36-20 - yeah I missed it too 4:15am it was being shown

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Great match.

Thought for we Englishmen - without Wilkinson our team would have drawn it.

Tonga can't kick. They can most certainly do everything else, though; its wonderful to watch a team like that!

Anyway, we'll be flattened by Australia

The Bigfella
09-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Australia v Canada 37:6 with, if I'm not mistaken, all points being scored by Aussies

The Bigfella
09-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Australia v Canada 37:6 with, if I'm not mistaken, all points being scored by Aussies

John B
09-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Out on the boat for the weekend so I missed the games.
Just saw Fiji Wales!!!! Can't remember the score ( only about 4 points in it right up until the last few minutes)but Fiji won ye gods.

Clencher
09-30-2007, 12:20 AM
"Just saw Fiji Wales!!!! Can't remember the score"

Fiji 38 Wales 34 it was JohnB

Many tears in the Valleys last night, Wales now on their way home.

Exciting game of rugby though, went right to the wire, Wales went ahead with 7 mins to go then Fiji pulled it back with a winning try with 3 mins to go.

Well done Fijians! Now give the Boks a good game!!

Scotland beat Italy by the skin of their teeth 18 - 16. Not such a good game to watch, but Scots go through.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Scotland beat Italy by the skin of their teeth 18 - 16. Not such a good game to watch, but Scots go through.

Or, as the brother put it
UGLY NIGHT, ugly match, lovely result. This was a contest to be savoured not for any free-flowing spectacle, but for the grip it took on your emotions from the first nerve-fraying moment to the last.

This was attached to one of the worst examples of the Sub-editor's art I've seen in many years.
JUST DEUX IT (http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/shrugby/display.var.1724324.0.just_deux_it.php)

bamamick
10-01-2007, 11:34 PM
64-15, as I recall. I guess that it wasn't a total loss. Much of the European press described the American side as being 'scrappy'. I guess that there are a lot worse things than being 'scrappy'?

Down to the final eight now, yes? I am guessing that the dross has been sent home now and that this is the point for which the serious rugby nations have been waiting? South Africa looks very tough. Who is the favorite?

Mickey Lake

John B
10-02-2007, 12:03 AM
SA,NZ,AU. in no particular order.

The Bigfella
10-02-2007, 12:03 AM
The Kiwis are favourites - but are renowned for being fragile when it really counts in this tournament. They did win it once a long, long time ago, I think.

The Bigfella
10-02-2007, 12:06 AM
John - so diplomatic of you!

John B
10-02-2007, 12:13 AM
yeah, lets hope they don't choke this time.;)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-02-2007, 04:15 AM
Well, the next things that happen are:

6th October:

The Wallabies (Australia) defeat England in Marseilles

The All Blacks (Kiwis) defeat France in that well knowh French city, Cardiff.

7th October

The Springboks (South Africa) defeat Fiji in Marseilles (my pick for the best match to watch)

The Pumas (Argentina) defeat Scotland in the Stade de France, Paris

Semi-finals, 13th and 14th October, Stade de France

You will notice that from this point on its a 100% Southern Hemisphere affair!

The final depends on whether the All Blacks can defeat the Wallabies without significant injuries.

The Bigfella
10-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Mate - we even got injuries beating the Canadians ( a broken leg, no less). The replacement being flown over did a classic interview tonight. Morgan Turinui said that the match against England will be "personal". In fact, he said that anything to do with England is personal - even if you are lined up next to a Pom at the airport, its tempting to drop the shoulder he said!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Coming, as I do from Hong Kong, you can't honestly expect me to cheer the Wallabies, now can you?

The Bigfella
10-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Coming, as I do from Hong Kong, you can't honestly expect me to cheer the Wallabies, now can you?

Feel free to cheer for China!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-02-2007, 06:42 AM
You'd have to have been at early Hong Kong Sevens games to get it.

Very early on, thirty years ago, there was a particularly dirty foul by a Wallaby on a Hong Kong player; the Australians have been booed loudly ever since, but its become quite a good humoured "tradition" over the past twenty years.

The Bigfella
10-02-2007, 07:36 AM
I've never been to the Sevens - but my youngest son wore a rugby jersey from the tournament for many years - I think it was from Campese's testimonial lunch. I scored a seat right next to him - but it wasn't as good as it sounds - I was right next to him at the adjacent table - back to back.

The tournament certainly has (or had) a good rep as a fun time

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Yes, I think its the most fun that you can have watching rugby!

Also booed, loudly, when I have been in the stands, have been:

Wales, first time they turned up, for kicking for touch (against Fiji, IIRC - they got thrashed).

England, first time they turned up, for the arrogant attitude of the "home Unions" towards the HK Sevens.

On the other hand, Argentina were cheered for turning up after certain events in the South Atlantic, and Romania, on their first appearance, arrived in HK with US$ 600 between the team for hotels and food and had had their kit mislaid by the airline. They then discovered that five of their US$100 notes were forgeries! There was a whip round in the stands to get them sorted out and they went on to win the Bowl!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-02-2007, 08:52 AM
You need a hill in the background.
http://images.scotsman.com/2007/01/04/0401melb.jpg

or three?