PDA

View Full Version : Steve Fossett still missing ...

Steve Paskey
09-08-2007, 03:54 AM
The previous thread on the search for Fossett vanished without a trace, so I'm starting a new one.

It's now five days, and still no trace of Steve. And some troubling news from earlier today: authorities now think he may have been carrying only a single bottle of water. (They previously thought he had a two-week supply.)

Although there has been no sign of Steve's plane, searchers have found SIX previously unknown plane wrecks in the desert. One plane hadn't been registered in 30 years.

It's a bit mind-boggling to think that a plane could go down out there without being found for years, if ever ... but after driving through Nevada en route from Maryland to Sacramento, I can believe it. An awful lot of land with nothing there.

Phillip Allen
09-08-2007, 07:21 AM
sorry...WHO, exactly, is this guy?

StevenBauer
09-08-2007, 07:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fossett

jack grebe
09-08-2007, 08:22 AM
I can't help but wonder.......Is this a stunt?

Steve Paskey
09-08-2007, 08:38 AM
I don't think so, unless he's decided that he hates his family and doesn't care how they feel.

The lack of any solid news about the 63-year-old aviator's fate is weighing heavily on his family, said Lyon County Undersheriff Joe Sanford.

He said he spoke Friday with Fossett's wife, Marilyn, and said she and other family members remained optimistic.

"Everyone here is hopeful. But I've got to tell you that the family is subdued and they're having a tough time with this," Sanford told reporters. "We're into numerous days. No one knows what happened or where he is."

Joe (SoCal)
09-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Dig the hole put up a stone, the guy past his risk taking shelf life years ago.

Bruce Hooke
09-08-2007, 09:25 AM
What is also strange is that I think I read that his plane had some sort of emergency transmitter that was supposed to start transmitting if the plane crashed, and he had some sort of watch that could be used in a similar way. So, if the plane crashed the emergency transmitter should have kicked in and if it was a landing he walked away from he should have been able to use the watch. It occurred to me that all of this could be explained if he went down in water, but there is damn little water in that part of the world.

Bruce Hooke
09-08-2007, 09:31 AM
If you want to help with the search you can help pour over new satellite images here and tag any that have something that could be plane wreckage that an expert should review: http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=9TSZK4G35XEZJZG21T60&kw=Flash

Paul Girouard
09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
, searchers have found SIX previously unknown plane wrecks in the desert. One plane hadn't been registered in 30 years.

It's a bit mind-boggling to think that a plane could go down out there without being found for years, if ever ... but after driving through Nevada en route from Maryland to Sacramento, I can believe it. An awful lot of land with nothing there.

In a odd pardox most will believe exactly that , but will NOT believe WMD could be hidden in Iraq! YMMV.

I agree with Joe on this one , the guy finally found that ultimate high/ risk. See ya Steve!

Tar Devil
09-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with Joe on this one ,

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Joe and Paul on this one.

The fact that Steve survived all those adventures and achieved so many records is credit to his reputation as a careful person in planning, preparation, and NOT being reckless. In my opinion, after all that diligence, he deserves not to get bit on what should've been a routine local flight in a reputedly safe, certified airplane.

I want him to be OK. He adds excitement to aviation. And from all I've read he's a good bloke who would rather pop a beer with the guys than frequent the country clubs.

Rick Starr
09-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Nicely said, and very true Tar Devil.

Paul Girouard
09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
[quote=Tar Devil;1650640]I'll have to respectfully disagree with Joe and Paul on this one.

/quote]

Your right to do so Phil.

why didn't he file a flight plan? To rushed , to busy , TO Proud/ important? Just a thought.

George Roberts
09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
"his reputation as a careful person in planning, preparation, and NOT being reckless."

His record of equipment failures indicates that he was an accident waiting to happen.

That his plane crashed can happen to anyone. The fact that none of his equipment/planning to attract rescuers appears to have worked seems to indicate that he was as unprepared as ever.

---

It is fair to say that even on casual 1/2 day bike rides in populated areas, I leave better rescue/recovery information than Mr. Fossett did.

Tar Devil
09-08-2007, 02:15 PM
why didn't he file a flight plan?

Filing flight plans for local flights are practically unheard of. Flight plan from airport to where? He was scouting, destination undetermined, so what good would a flight plan have done except departure and return times, which were already known?

Rick Starr
09-08-2007, 04:26 PM
His record of equipment failures indicates that he was an accident waiting to happen.

This.

From you.

[Shakes head.]

George Roberts
09-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Rick Starr ---

It appears those who might be concerned about me know where I am. Much different than those who are concerned about Mr. Fossett.

Tylerdurden
09-08-2007, 06:56 PM
If he spiked it I could see the ELT not working. I heard he was in a Citabria and only had one days water. I guess he wasn't much of a bush pilot being so unprepared in that terrain.
I do hope its something stupid and he either walks out or gets found.

Tar Devil
09-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Three family members disappeared nearby in Gaston County on a short drive home. Several weeks later their truck was found in a river under a bridge.

There's any number of ways something like this can happen.

George, you continue to affirm my opinion of you as a person.

Milo Christensen
09-08-2007, 08:03 PM
. . . George, you continue to affirm my opinion of you as a person.

Oh I say! Well said old chap.

George Roberts
09-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Tar Devil ---

I agree that there are a lot of people who are as unprepared as Mr. Fossett.

That does not mean we should all follow their example.

Tar Devil
09-09-2007, 01:12 AM
That does not mean we should all follow their example.

Prayers and sympathy to anyone who follows yours...

George Roberts
09-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Woke up this morning and caught the end of the news ---

Fellow was rescued after being missing for a week. He walked out to a road.

Wrong guy. Some guy out east. Had driven off the road.

I guess the search for him was much less important than that for Mr. Fossett.

Wild Wassa
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
That certainly sounds about right George. At least the other bloke is now safe.

I imagine one of the down sides with reporting two missing persons at the same time in roughly the same area, is the difficulty of giving the right illusion of the importance of reporting about the right missing person and not wasting our time on some riff-raff or nobodies.

This next bit on news is even more strange. It has been reported here, that during the search for Fossett's plane, six downed aircraft that were not known to the authorities, and not known to have crashed have been found. That is bizarre. I suppose the media needs fillers while we wait for news about the right missing person ... obviously these 6 aircraft were flown by nobodies or abandoned by drug trafficing riff-raff.

Was Fossett's plane small enough to be dismantled and put into a container? Maybe Fossett came down on something he shouldn't have seen. .. or was even beamed up? It is the Nevada Desert, ... where is area 51 again?

Warren.

Vince Brennan
09-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Anything new?

Bruce Hooke
09-11-2007, 07:43 PM
This next bit on news is even more strange. It has been reported here, that during the search for Fossett's plane, six downed aircraft that were not known to the authorities, and not known to have crashed have been found. That is bizarre. I suppose the media needs fillers while we wait for news about the right missing person ... obviously these 6 aircraft were flown by nobodies or abandoned by drug trafficing riff-raff.

There was a story on the radio a little while ago that offered a possible explanation for this situation. The search for Steve Fossett has been difficult and slow. Now imagine if, say, he had been on a flight from the coastal California to NE Nevada and disappeared somewhere along that 450 mile long route, with no information to indicate where. The possible search area would be so huge as to make a comprehensive search unrealistic, especially in the days before satellite images and other high-tech tools where available to aid the search, since it is quite possible some of these crash sites are decades old.

Hwyl
09-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Very good BBC story http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6987855.stm

Phillip Allen
09-12-2007, 09:38 AM
that he's not been found gives credance to the old question "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?"

JimD
09-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Nevada has called off the search. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ET_Cetera/Rescuers_end_daily_search_for_Fossett/articleshow/2388282.cms