PDA

View Full Version : Traveler Options

G.Sherman
09-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Anyone know what's going on here? The former owner of my Crosby had a shackled Harkin block :mad:attached to this ring. I have no idea what was originally supposed to be here. I'm assuming it should be a becketted wooden block.
Any thoughts?

Here's a photo link...

Thanks in advance
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff164/Gaz02026/?action=view&current=PICT0047.jpg

ahp
09-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Harkins are wonderful, lightweight, low friction hardware and I thought they were worth the money, when I was racing a Hobie 16. On you cat(?) boat they are out of place and overkill.

ahp
09-03-2007, 12:31 PM
On my last wood boat, a 23 ft aux sloop, the mainsheet was double ended. Starting from a cleat on the portside combing, to a single block on the stern quarter, up to the boom, down to a single block on the traveler, back up to the boom and then to a block on the other quarter, and finally foreward to a cleat on the other combing.

John B
09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Larger than I'd expect but I guess the bigger the ring the more twist it allows( for a fair lead through the block sheaves on all points of sail.. running reaching in particular)